Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
ragingben
0xd FX pedal builder

Boss GT100/TC Nova System user advice required please!

Hey, I really, really don't want to start a a vs b thread, but I'm after a bit of advice form users of these two mfx (so I'm going to anyway ).

I'm running a H&K Tubemeister 36 which has decent midi options (channel, reverb, loop, power soak) so rather than lugging aorund my pedal board I've reverted to my old Boss GT8 for FX/midi switching and I'm pretty happy with that setup as it is so much more portable and flexable than lugging around my standard board and the midi footswitch for the amp, plus gives me the option of wah, volume pedal and digital delay which I don't have on my standard board.

Basically I love having patches and I'm hungering for a complete switching/FX solution without splurging on a TC G System.

Thinking of upgrading to either the GT100 of the TC Nova System at some point in the future. I've had my eye on a Nova System for a fair few months, but have been put off by the lack of wah/volume pedal (not a deal breaker) and not being able to use the 4 cable method. I havent been using any boost for the Tubemeister, I can get all the heavy tones I need just from the amp so I could run the Nova in the loop, but because of the missing features it doesn't seem the complete solution.

Anyone played with both? The Nova is supposed to have excellent delays, are the GT100's anywhere near them? Also, on the GT100 are the OD's useable if I did want to use them to boost the 36's preamp? On the GT8 they are pasable but Boss claim the OD's are greatly improved, is this just hype?

I guess my question to those who have played both is this: Does the flexablity of the GT100 outweight the quality of the Nova Syatem?
ragingben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
Dazzl1113

I know you want comments from people who've used both, I use the GT-100 and considered the Nova System. Though there would likely be a lot of people who will comment that TC has better quality effects....the GT-100 has excellent effects as well. At the end of the day its loaded with ~100 of Boss' most famous effects.

The modulations, delays, reverbs, comps and the rest, IMHO are very good. I run mine in the loop of my Mark V and my Marshal DSL and its sounds very good.

Yes, you do get a "complete unit" in that you have full 4 cable method flexibility and the Vol/Wah/Exp pedal. A cool trick as well is you can turn off the looper function of the GT-100 and that pedal can be used to control and effect...why is that cool? Because now you can program the Accel pedal to be a whammy or other expression so you can really have two pedals on the unit.

As well because of the loops you can also incorporate other stomps if you have some favorites. As for the OD's, yes, I think there are some excellent OD's and with a strong amp like you're using you will be quite pleased.

Midi as well so you can change the channels on your amp in the patches with the GT-100, a looper as well if you want/need it and the amp modeling if you ever need it.

Cost is almost the same between the two units as well now whether new or used market.

The TC unit will not be nearly as easy to program your patches as the boss dual screen interface and there is now a PC/MAC software editor to create/edit patches and save back and forth.

Not sure if this helps you or not. Certainly the effects are great on both perhaps the TC effects might be better to your ears...but you may need two additional expression/wah/volume pedals.

Also you can't change the order of the effects block in the TC if I recall, where as its totally customizable with the GT100.
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
Dazzl1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
steven_ferns84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingben
Anyone played with both? The Nova is supposed to have excellent delays, are the GT100's anywhere near them? Also, on the GT100 are the OD's useable if I did want to use them to boost the 36's preamp? On the GT8 they are pasable but Boss claim the OD's are greatly improved, is this just hype?

I guess my question to those who have played both is this: Does the flexablity of the GT100 outweight the quality of the Nova Syatem?

The delays on the GT are standard boss quality. It doesn't have a ducking delay or reverb though which maybe available on the nova system considering the nova pedals have those. There is no delay/reverb spillover in the gt100 either like there used to be in the gt10 & probably the gt8. Another thing is the feedbacker doesn't work like it used to on the gt10. The custom wah option is also gone now on the gt100. If you don't mind all that then the gt100 is a worthwhile upgrade from the gt8 or gt10 because it's very easy to work with.

As for comparing it with the nova system, the nova isn't difficult to program, but it has tone suckage issues like the g-system in certain rigs. There was some official modded version of those available some while back that was supposed to provide better transparency or something. The FX chain is also fixed, so it's either place it in the loop or straight in front of the amp.

What you can do for now is buy a low capacitance cable, the 'american stage planet waves cable' for example since it's well built & not crazy expensive. Use this cable specifically to go between the GT Send & amp input, if you are using the 4CM approach. The difference is amazing. If you like what you hear with this simple cable switch, then get more & use them for everything. With 4CM there is a lot of cable involved, so the capacitance goes up very quickly, this causes the sound to muddy up in certain frequencies. It's worth a shot, you might not consider upgrading from the gt8 after that.
steven_ferns84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: