Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #17161
macashmack
Spongethug Moneypants

In sonata form, is it necessary for the second theme in the exposition to modulate to the key of the fifth? Or can it be any key?
Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #17162
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macashmack
In sonata form, is it necessary for the second theme in the exposition to modulate to the key of the fifth? Or can it be any key?

The most typical modulation for a sonata form in a major key is to the dominant, and in most Classical period sonata forms that's what you'll almost always see. That said, it's not a rule and in later sonata forms all sorts of modulations took place. Beethoven was particularly fond of mediant relationships, for example.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #17163
National_Anthem
Quite the toff

Anyone here know much about symbolism in Baroque music? I'm looking for anything specifically relating to melancholy as an affect or aesthetic emotion, and symbolism of various devices, such as descending chromatic lines, the chromatic whole, and circle of fifths progressions (namely ascending, I'm not expecting any kind of inherent symbolism in descending circle of fifths, as they sort of just happen!). If anyone can point me in the direction of anything that might contain some reference to anything of the sort, it would be much appreciated.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:00 AM   #17164
evolucian

Hurt my arm back in October during work hours... no idea how, but it hurts like hell at times. Got so painful I couldn't really use it much, muscle deterioration feels so awesome. Even the most basic necessary survival skill of lifting one's cup of coffee to have a sip is excruciating. So now there's this little frightening reality creeping in that I'll have to start from the beginning again... and, well, it really is scary

Left hand fkd... for now... sniff
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #17165
National_Anthem
Quite the toff

Muscle deterioration doesn't effect coordination and learned skills. You may (in fact, probably will) have to do some exercises to get strength and agility back, but this is separate to developing the neurological pathways that tell us to do a particular motion and a particular time. Some things may feel different, but it certainly won't be starting over.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 AM   #17166
evolucian

sniff.. those exercises mean starting over, for me at least. Damn it
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:24 PM   #17167
The_Sophist
You're real man, real

Wud up MT. I'm back.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.

Last edited by The_Sophist : 02-23-2014 at 08:25 PM.
The_Sophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #17168
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

I vaguely remember you being cool, so
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #17169
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Oh hey Sophist!
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #17170
fanapathy
B-Tuned

I've been playing some bass last few months and when trying out stuff, it seems low pitched powerchords sound weird/bad. They start sounding fine around A-B (normal tuned 4 string). Is this just me or is this a thing that has a reasoning behind it? I don't know how to explain it, it just sounds off or somehow "not right".

Last edited by fanapathy : 02-26-2014 at 03:49 PM.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #17171
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

I don't know the science behind it, but generally the lower in register you go, the more dissonant sounding even unassuming intervals like fifths become. It's why in orchestration, for example, it's not recommended to have close spacing between notes in lower registers. Try playing major thirds or fifths in a very low register on a piano and you'll hear the same thing.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #17172
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Stop.

Hammer time!
Old 02-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #17173
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Does this mean we can call Mahler the original hip-hop?

I like the fella covering his ear, then the guy under him is totally surprised about when the hit comes.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 PM   #17174
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietsche
I don't know the science behind it, but generally the lower in register you go, the more dissonant sounding even unassuming intervals like fifths become. It's why in orchestration, for example, it's not recommended to have close spacing between notes in lower registers. Try playing major thirds or fifths in a very low register on a piano and you'll hear the same thing.

Thanks.. I was wondering why there seems to be dissonance when it "shouldn't". Yes, low 3rds even worse. This is quite interesting actually, maybe it can be useful to use for effect some time.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #17175
red.guitar
Imagine All The People

Sorry if this seems like a really stupid question, but I'm trying to get the whole mode thing stratight in my head, once and for all.

So reading the theory FAQ, it's giveing examples of the notes nad intervals of the differnet modes based on the c major scale.

It says C major scale = C D E F G A B and the C Ionian mode (being intervals 1234567) = C D E F G A B (same as c major). Whats confusing me is it says D Dorian has the intervals 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7, giving the notes D E F G A B C ?? To me, based on the intervals given, I would say the notes should be C D Eb F G A Bb?

What am I missing here?

EDIT: Resolved
Snake Pit Les Paul
MIM Fender Tele

Amps:
Jet City JCA 50H
Vox AC30CCH
Mesa Boogie 212
Randall 212+115

Last edited by red.guitar : 03-02-2014 at 07:31 PM.
red.guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #17176
Hail
kill both bass players

when you play lower notes, esp when you dip around or below that low E, you're hearing as much as/more fundamental than the actual note

thankfully theres no real need to use power chords in the lower ranges on a bass as you can't get that thick, percussive attack that makes them sound like power chords in the first place. just stick to M7no5s in the higher registers with the real OGs
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 AM   #17177
National_Anthem
Quite the toff

The fundamental is the actual note. But yes, you're right, the lower the fundamental, the more of the harmonic series will be in our hearing range. So even when you play a perfect 5th in low registers, the harmonic series for both notes will start to produce dissonances. Hell, even if you play a single note, if you get enough of the upper harmonics, there will be dissonance.

This is the reason that if you play chords in the very high register of the piano (provided they're in tune of course, which the piano isn't, at least in this sense) they sound so pure and clear. The harmonics quickly shoot out of our range of hearing, so we pretty much will just hear the note and maybe a couple of harmonics.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #17178
sickman411
Motor sensational

That does make a lot of sense. It's one of those things you just know and never wonder why it happens. I'd never even seen that issue discussed.
Franc is winner
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Nuckles
Franc is double winner
sickman411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #17179
Xiaoxi
busy passing you

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #17180