Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

NGD: 60th Anniversary Content

With the Budda being sold for a decent price, I decided to take my old MIM Strat and head over to the local GC to see what kind of stuff I could dig up. I originally paid I think $225 for this MIM Strat from the same GC roughly 3 months ago and the guy offered me $175 + the whole trade in trade up 10%, so I think I actually made money off of it after the deal was said and done.

Anyways, I found a 60th Anniversary Telecaster hanging up with an odd pricetag of only $850 so I got a little curious and checked it out. Playing an exceptional Tele a few days prior, I had a bit of GAS built up for one, so I thought why not. I am not sure why the guitar was marked so low, because it was in perfect condition. Maybe because 2011 was the year of the anniversary and they were tired of having it in the store? Who knows.

So, with that being said, I present to you:

The guitar came in a nice SKB case along with some cool stuff: A nice, bovine leather strap with included strap locks, a decent long instrument cable, stickers and of course documentation. Thanks, Fender!

The special 60th anniversary neckplate. Really the only aesthetic thing on the guitar that sets it apart.

Sitting next to the CEC that was acquired and NAD'd yesterday. Really compliments all the blackness... I guess. Banana for scale.

I have played the guitar for about two hours now, and to be honest I am pretty blown away at how well it sounds. Up until last year, I pretty much hated single coils, but it was one of those things that I bashed prematurely, because I mostly played them through shit amps.

It's what you would expect out of a Tele. Ash body with the Fender Classics in the neck and bridge. The bridge pickup is really bright and punchy with a lot of chime and clarity and the neck is nice, warm and smooth. The middle position blends them nicely, although I found that I needed to roll back the tone control just a little bit to get that "true middle". I might raise the neck pup a little bit to see if that helps.

The controls are what you would expect, except the tone pot has a detent when its rolled all the way up that disables the tone circuit completely, which opens up the guitar a bit. Fender has a name for it but I didn't look it up.

The one thing that struck me about the guitar is that I thought that Fender only made them in a solid white finish, so when I seen it as a burst I had to make sure it was legit (even thought it is GC, I can never be too safe). To me, the white version was kinda ugly, as I am not a fan of just plain, flat colors. The black pickguard really compliments the burst and reminds me of my old modified MIA strat with the same concept.

The neck is a 25.5" scale maple neck with a 9.5" radius. It follows suit with the original made in 51, with the "baseball bat" feel. I have slightly large hands, so it balances out nicely, especially on chords where I use my thumb on the low E. It has a nitro finish on it, and it feels great.

All in all, I am very happy with the purchase. The guitar is in flawless condition, and I really believe that I got it for a steal of a price. This is my first "official" Tele. I had a '72 Thinline Reissiue a couple years back, but that was a completely different ballpark. If you are looking for a top-of-the-line Tele, check your local stores to see if they have any 60th Anniversaries left, you might just get one for a steal of a price.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

1st!

noice!
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
mmolteratx
UG God

How's that banana sound?
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Ippon
Amped

Congrats! That will also sound very nice through high gain.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

All those features remind me of my mia deluxe strat. which would give me the impression that you got an awesome guitar at at freaking great price.

normally not a fan of 3 tone sunburst but it actually looks awesome on that. paint job looks extra good on that.

HNGD!!

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_k
All those features remind me of my mia deluxe strat. which would give me the impression that you got an awesome guitar at at freaking great price.

normally not a fan of 3 tone sunburst but it actually looks awesome on that. paint job looks extra good on that.

HNGD!!

The guitar went for around $1300 last year upon release and was considered a Deluxe, even says so on the inspection tag. I couldn't walk away from it.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

God damn prices for nice guitars have come down. Fender is putting out some awesome guitars for great prices and Vox has put out some really awesome amps at amazing prices.

Maybe because i am in Aus i feel it more though.

My deluxe was bought for $4300AUD new and i got it for $2000 barely used. Now that was a great deal but i still payed more than double what you did.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
mmolteratx
UG God

wut

I got my closet classic '88 Mary Kaye Strat for $1995. Aus is so ****ed. Never ceases to amaze me how much you guys pay.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmolteratx
wut

I got my closet classic '88 Mary Kaye Strat for $1995. Aus is so ****ed. Never ceases to amaze me how much you guys pay.

Yeah we get screwed. i was talking to a dude the other day who was buying an online magazine subscription. so not actually a physical good.

He went to pay for it and the site noticed he was in Australia and sent him to the Australian site which was double the price for the exact same online mag. PLUS our dollar is stronger than yours. Shit does not make sense.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Wow, that is a gorgeous guitar. I personally wouldn't own a Fender in anything but 3 color burst. That really is a great price. I've always wanted a 3 tone strat witha black pickguard. I would have to have HSS, though. I just find the single coil in the neck of strats to be unusably bright. A nice 'bucker in there, though, makes ir perfect.

Also, agreed that Aussies get f***ed on prices. I actually was just talking to my girlfriend about moving to other countries, and she mentioned Australia, knowing that I used to want to move there, and I tolf her f*** that shit, they have almost no gear choices and the prices are horrible
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
Also, agreed that Aussies get f***ed on prices. I actually was just talking to my girlfriend about moving to other countries, and she mentioned Australia, knowing that I used to want to move there, and I tolf her f*** that shit, they have almost no gear choices and the prices are horrible

This should go in the "you know you're addicted to gear when..." thread

But yeah, I wouldn't either. Maybe that's their form of population control.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Spaztikko

EDIT: SHIT.

Nice tele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinterMan22
lmao putting a 9v on yr ladybits thats just another ep of "tossing larry's salad" waitin to happen

Banging ur mum
I killed the chat thread again.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #13
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Maybe because i am in Aus i feel it more though.

the answer for you guys is japan. thought you knew that.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #14
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
the answer for you guys is japan. thought you knew that.

You approved the tokai i got the other day. Its is a beast by the way. a god damn awesome beast.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Very nice. That's just what I want, even the colour is right.

HNGD
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:12 AM   #16
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
You approved the tokai i got the other day. Its is a beast by the way. a god damn awesome beast.

post a pick in pbt.

which one did you get again?
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
gumbilicious
beginner

awesome tele dude. i've owned quite a number of tele's and i have to say ash is the shit. congrats on the good get.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Very nice. That's just what I want, even the colour is right.

HNGD

You didn't strike me as a Tele guy.

But then again, Gary Moore did play on a few didn't he?

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5

Rate This Thread: