Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Ignore

Composing music

So ive just been playing guitar for 3 years, when i started and really couldnt play for shit i came up with cool riffs and harmony progressions just by going note for note, using my ear, making chords, without knowing what they were, but it sounded awesome.

Now 3 years later ive been learning alot of stuff theory and technique wise, i got a good base knowledge but when it comes to making up stuff like i used to i find myself just playing random notes to start something up or chords, and i dont get any ideas, i dont hear the next note or chord like i used to, i hope i didnt loose "it".
its so rare now, i do a healthy amount of ear training as well.
Whats happening?

Thanks.
Ignore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Start off with a few basic ideas, then use theory to go from there.

Btw, there's nothing to "lose". Everyone goes through short, dry spells when it comes to composing.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox

maybe your standards for "cool riffs" has changed? i bet you're able to come up with something musically sound pretty easily since you've been paying attention to theory, but your ear is tired of hearing those so you're not inspired. try listening to different music.

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

The ability shouldn't disappear because you learned theory. Theory operates in the intellectual part of the brain. The music you imagine comes from a different place. They shouldn't interfere.

It could be anxiety. Perhaps you had an off-day and attributed it to your study of theory. Now the anxiety that you've 'lost it' is blocking out your musical ear.

Just relax and let it start to flow again.

Last edited by Jehannum : 08-16-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I remember when I started playing the guitar and came up with these "cool" riffs. Now that I listen to them, they sound terrible. But back then they sounded awesome. You have just got better. If I now came up with such a cliche and boring sounding idea, I wouldn't bother using it. I know I came up with some cool things too but most of them are generic and boring cliche riffs that only back then sounded "cool".

But yeah, maybe just improvise over some backing tracks. That may help. Or maybe try writing with a friend. Me and my friend come up with some awesome stuff. Sometimes we just start jamming and sometimes we continue an old idea. Sometimes we listen to some songs and get inspired and write new stuff.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: