Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #21
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Why do you want to use those scales? I don't really understand your post.

Listen to the harmony. Playing random scales over random chords isn't going to work. Don't try to connect different scales. Think about the melody. What do you want to hear? Don't change scales if you don't want to hear that.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
Hail
kill both bass players

EVO OMG STOP hahahahahaha

HIS PALMS ARE SWEATY KNEES WEAK ARMS ARE HEAVY VOMIT ON HIS SWEATER ALREADY MOMS SPAGHETTI
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #23
:-D
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizatso
I always wanted to play a classical melody in the guitar like malmsteen , thing is I got nailed with theory in jazz, i keep on my mind this mode (Pentatonic minor->Major->Dorian->Phrygian->Mixolydian and goes back to Pentatonic Minor)

Now i really enjoy this mode, but i have this urge to turn into a neo classical metal player or play a darker melody, I've been looking in the ultimate guitar lessons and tips, i got the idea of Cicle of fifth's, Arpeggios and so on, but i can't seem to connect harmonic minor,melodic minor scales into modes, I've searched other websites and they keep explaining in a confusing way.

Can some please enlight me with this scales mode or just tell me the sequence?
I really want to play classic melody in guitar or a darker melody

gonna ask a question i'm fairly certain i know the answer to - how much of this style of music have you listened to/do you have under your belt?

now i'll ask a question that has an answer more unknown to me to balance things out: have you ever knocked over a small child's sandcastle at the beach and laughed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic97
Thanks! I wish everyone on Ultimate Guitar could be more like you!
:-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #24
evolucian

One day, evo... one day you can find that kid and apologise. Then take his lunch money instead
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #25
Raizatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Why do you want to use those scales? I don't really understand your post.

Listen to the harmony. Playing random scales over random chords isn't going to work. Don't try to connect different scales. Think about the melody. What do you want to hear? Don't change scales if you don't want to hear that.

By what you said I can clearly see you din't learn music,and I am not going to say anything more because that would just lead you to more confusion
Raizatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #26
Raizatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D
gonna ask a question i'm fairly certain i know the answer to - how much of this style of music have you listened to/do you have under your belt?

now i'll ask a question that has an answer more unknown to me to balance things out: have you ever knocked over a small child's sandcastle at the beach and laughed?

Alot, has i said , i was classicaly trained, but I am not going to make a REMIX of everything.

And no, that will just ruin his fun, why is this question posted here?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #27
Raizatso

So I found the solution to my problem, it seems i have been this months alot in jazz and my melody sounds so jazzie, so i forgot all that and tried something new, it worked

thx anyway for the help
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 PM   #28
Fourfourforever

What a weirdo
Fourfourforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #29
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
By what you said I can clearly see you din't learn music,and I am not going to say anything more because that would just lead you to more confusion

What? I'm pretty sure I know my theory better than you. The wording of your question was confusing to me. But you should listen to the chords behind your solo and choose what scales (or notes) you are going to use.

Quote:
Also I noticed in my guitar jouney...
Theres this times i can sense how repetitive it get's when I'm improvising :S
I'm trying to break that chain thats limiting my creativity!
My guitar teacher says the solution is to feel the music and instead of following the scales patern create something diferent, but when i release myself from it the notes dont seem to have connection, even based with the scales notes.

I've learned myself some malmsteen songs (assuming i was classicaly trained when I started with the guitar basics) and i get the idea of writting a melody or transcribing what the guitarrist is playing cause I do it myself, but i placed this question mostly because where I live is hard to find other genre guitarrists, because most of guitarrists here dont give a crap about lead guitar, or getting classicaly trained and do some nice solos and actually dedicate to the guitar.

So I asked here because this place have people from everywhere, and I know theres guitarrists wich are more experiencied then me here.

In my mind I have this melody, but when to transfer to guitar my mind just completely locks in the scales, god damn for me being nailed at the theory!

Yeah... The melodies will fit those scales. You need more ear training. The scale is a collection of (usually) seven notes so just learn how each note sounds over a chord. Then you remember that "the fourth note in this scale sounds like this and the melody that I hear in my head starts with the fourth note." When you hear a melody, you might hear that it fits a certain scale. But the chords you are playing over makes it sound very different. For example play the same thing over one chord or a progression. That's why it's important to know what chords you are playing over: They change how the melody you are playing sounds like.

If you want to play what you hear in your head, start with slow, simple melodies. Again, it's about ear training and recognizing the intervals in your melody.

What I meant with my last post was that don't change scales if the melodies you hear in your head don't change scales. It sounds like you are playing "random" notes from those scales and that's why "connecting" them is hard. That's why you should listen to the chords and try to land on the chord tones. That will help. Think about how you want it to sound like and how you can make it sound like that. The key is to listen to how your playing sounds like. If you don't want to hear "the sound of phrygian dominant scale", then don't play that scale. All of the notes you want to play might fit just one scale, for example harmonic minor that's used a lot in neo classical.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: