Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
6StringBlazer
How did you get in here!?

Im getting frustrated with music

Not enough to quit, but sometimes the thought crosses my mind and its just really hard to find people with the same taste in music as me.

Note: There might be some ranting here or there but I need to get my point across.

I like Thrash metal, Melodic Death Metal, mostly anything complex and technical, and I don't know many people that do. Im not a Utah native, but I live in Utah, so maybe that's a defining reason as to why. I play it also and my friend and I have been trying to start a band but on top of finding either no one or piss poor people to play with, we ourselves have different likes when it comes to bands. Example:

Me:
Sylosis
God Forbid
Overkill
Metallica
Job For A Cowboy (Ruination onwards)
The Black Dahlia Murder
Soilwork
Evile
Revocation
Machine Head
Trivium
All Shall Perish
Shadows Fall
All That Remains
BMFV (sometimes)

My friend:
Of Mice & Men
Veil of Maya
Bring Me the Horizon
Asking Alexandria
Memphis May Fire
Emmure
Texas In July, etc.

Out of those bands listed for my friend, I don't mind maybe two of them, Texas in July and Veil of Maya.
Does anyone else see the differences or am I just being nitpicky? I'm not trying to be an elitist, I just want to make music with people that enjoy what I do. Not saying my friend doesnt, but how we play is influenced by those bands. I'm horrible with breakdowns and my friend isn't the best at the technical stuff or gallop picking, but we're keeping an open mind to everything and learning each other's styles a bit. We met up with a drummer we auditioned a few weeks ago and one of the first things he asked us was, "you guys ever tune down to Drop A? Its sooo brutal, I love it!" The only two or three tunings we use are CGCFAD, DGCFAD and CFA#D#GC. The last two are mine, my friend hadnt even heard of them until I said some of my songs are written in those tunings.

I couldnt fight the thought of, "Oh no, one of these guys. Teh br00tz..." He played with us, and he was really good, but then dropped off the face of the earth when I tried to contact him again.

So lately I feel really frustrated that everyone is like, "breakdowns breakdowns breakdowns!" and I'm like "thrash, complexity, thrash!" I want to make a new band that is actually what I want to do, but I dont want to be a dick to my friend because his dream is to tour and perform concerts and everything just like mine, and he was so happy to have me move back to UT to get this going. If I quit on him now, I'll set HIM back a few steps, and that seems like a dick move. Anyone else ever been in this position? What did you do and what sounds like a good idea for me to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe24
Girls like to take team dumps. Simple as that.

6StringBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
pncoutts

What I usually think, especially when it comes to career moves in music, is make up your own mind, man. Don't take others advice too seriously. At the end of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do. It's you life, make it worthwhile.

I know that seems dickish, but it'll depend on how you speak to your friend about it. I'm sure if you explain the way you feel, he'll understand.

You guys just need to compromise and try and achieve the goals you've set out before you. It sounds to me like your putting your friends goals and ambitions before yours which isn't fair.....

By the way, I live in Dubai, U.A.E and I'm in a band that is not my type of music, but I do it because I enjoy it and keeps me playing live. On the side, I'm still writing my own music and everything. You'll never be prevented from writing your own music. I have a skate/punk rock EP coming out soon where I've done the guitars, vocals, bass, and drums because I can't find people into that style out here. It's all metal and hardcore, bleh.... so screw it, I'll do it myself. It's taken a long time, and a lot of work, but I love it

Good luck.
Cheers,

Last edited by pncoutts : 04-18-2012 at 04:20 AM.
pncoutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

I think what's really holding you back is that the people you're jamming with and yourself are not open-minded enough to work with eachother.

Because if you were, a middle ground would be found. This isn't happening. So really it's more an attitude thing that's the issue, on both your part and the others.

Your options:

1. Give eachother slack so that middle ground can be found.

2. Find other musos with exactly the same tastes as you.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Write your own material which you both like.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Numbin the pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
Write your own material which you both like.

THIS

Gear
Musicman JP7 Mystic Dream/Piezo
Fernandes Revelle elite
Epi Les Paul Silverburst custom- Sd 59 + JB
Mesa Dual Rec + Marshall 1960 Cab
Numbin the pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
krypticguitar87
thats that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
I think what's really holding you back is that the people you're jamming with and yourself are not open-minded enough to work with eachother.

Because if you were, a middle ground would be found. This isn't happening. So really it's more an attitude thing that's the issue, on both your part and the others.

Your options:

1. Give eachother slack so that middle ground can be found.

2. Find other musos with exactly the same tastes as you.

+1

if something as simple as someone haveing a slightly different taste in music as you is enough to clash, you need to either leave or loosen up a little.

most of the bands I've been in, everyone in the band has had different tastes. it gives a better chance to sound new and 'oringinal', on the other hand if every one has the same influences, then you will find the music is pretty generic and sounds almost exactly like their influences...

I got a question, how old are you and how long have you been playing?

also how many bands have you been in?
krypticguitar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
6StringBlazer
How did you get in here!?

I'm 20, I was in one other band when I was 17. I've been playing for 8 years in August.

We really aren't clashing, I just figured itd flow easier to be in a band that all has the same tastes. The other band we all had the same tastes, and everything went fine but our drummer was just hard to get along with. My main thing is simply the fear of sounding like everything else with breakdowns. They aren't bad but theyre everywhere.

It doesn't really seem to matter one way or the other, because no one here even likes metal, so we can't find anyone to fill a bassist and drummer spot >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe24
Girls like to take team dumps. Simple as that.

Last edited by 6StringBlazer : 04-18-2012 at 08:43 AM.
6StringBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Is there a particularly good reason you cant buy a one way ticket to a bigger town with a different music scene?
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #9
krypticguitar87
thats that...

first off listen to hydra^^ if no one around likes the music you want to play, you need to go some place that does....

nextly you will find that every time you jam with someone that has a slightly different taste in music, you will end up creating music that sounds a bit different. the more people you jam with that have the exact same tastes as you the more generic you're going to sound, wheather there are breakdowns or not.

you guys should talk about moving some place that has a metal following (20 is pretty young so it's unlikely that anything is forcing you to stay there) and should really give each other a bit more slack in terms of musical differences and meet in the middle. you should also let go of the fear of sounding like everyone else, that is only going to hold you back, jam write songs you like and worry about who you are compared to later.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypticguitar87
first off listen to hydra^^ if no one around likes the music you want to play, you need to go some place that does....

Or learn to compromise / enjoy playing different music.
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Often it's better if the band members don't have the same tastes. His tastes are close enough to your, let's be fair, mainstream (save a few) metal taste for there not really to be THAT much of a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #12
krypticguitar87
thats that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
Or learn to compromise / enjoy playing different music.

agreed but based on TS's other posts I kind of figured he/she really has no interest in playing anything else....
Old 04-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
Ultraussie
I have a user title now!

Attempt to write music without trying to directly conform to any subgenre...
Like daymn, I'm into every subgenre of metal including that deathcore and metalcore stuff but everyone I find is some deathcore br00ts guy.
Exactly the same problem you have, I also have.
I really want to make a more "Extreme" metal band, not a particular subgenre but taking influences from band's like Carcass and Divine Heresy and black metal and whatnot.

So if your freind likes a breakdown, put in a breakdown. Make it a good one though, not just some random out of place one every 0-0-0----0---0-0-0-0-0 band does
Write your Thrashy tech sections like Revocation or whatever and your melo death like Black Dahlia Murder, take all these elements from everything and blend them into something cohesive.
Add whatever you want, dont conform, just write music for the sake of writing music.

Last edited by Ultraussie : 04-21-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Ultraussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Has anyone here actually been to a place where there isn't a metal scene? I certainly haven't. Ultraussie, I note that your profile says you live on the Gold Coast, and I lived there for a year. There was a very healthy metal scene present.

Perhaps both of you guys are looking in the wrong places.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:54 AM   #15
Sandwich8080

As far as compromise goes, I'm a bassist in a pop-punk originals band. Until we can find a new guitarist, the drummer and I are going to be playing in a country cover band. It's about the last thing I want to do musically, but it pays better than jamming in a basement does. Also, we might be exposed to a bigger scene this way (On the off chance that a punkish guitarist is at a country concert...). So sometimes, compromise for a while isn't such a bad thing.
Sandwich8080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Marcus_Wiesner
The Darkest of them all

I don't really too much difference, but it's whatever, just jam and let it happen or don't.

It's all about you, do what you want. The reason I think you might be on here asking this is that perhaps you see an opportunity to grow a little bit in musical taste but you need others to validate that for you or something.

Life is all about growth. If you like your friend and think that there is a possibility that these two styles might mesh well into something that is between your two likes, then just jam and see what happens and keep an open mind. It's good to have an open mind.

One time I played with some reggae-ass fools and I was like, "this is totally not my style at all, but it's kinda fun to play" so just experiment if it's not for you, then it's not for you. Plain and simple. You will find some hardcore death metal lovers who fit right in with your style if that's what you are looking for.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #17
chrislanie

Actually it seems I would dis-agree with most others here- if you're really that fed up with having to compromise with songwriting and considering giving up then don't with either!
Save some pennies, buy some extra bits and bobs and home record all the really cool ideas you want to. Even a few years ago this would have seemed a compromise itself but these days you can record EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT to near pro standard in your bedroom. Look on youtube for Line 6 PodHD metal and some of the sound quality is astounding! I'm not saying you need to buy an HD (i did and didn't like it), just that there are some very good examples to inspire.
Realise this doesn't replace a live band but get the ideas recorded and who knows what may happen (Jeff Waters/Annihilator), be inspired whatever it takes even if it means going solo!
chrislanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: