Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
crazycory94
i like potatoes

Talking Critique my singing?

Hey everyone,

I recorded a quick cover of "The Kill" by 30 seconds to mars to see how my voice actually sounds. The mp3 can be found on my profile.

I've been working on my singing and I want to see what other people think I sound like.

The reason I ask is because I've been working on an album that really needs vocals and I want to know if you guys think my voice is record worthy (if worthy at all).

I also would like to start gigging with a few friends at local bars and pubs, so also comment if you would be able to listen to my voice for an hour without leaving!

Mp3 is on my profile.... and please be honest with me, even if it is harsh!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
HotspurJr

I've said this before, and I'll say it again:

You wouldn't pick up a guitar, hack around with it for a bit, and then ask if you were good enough of a guitarist to record or play gigs. You recognize that your guitar is an instrument that you have to learn how to use - that it doesn't matter how much "innate talent" you have if you don't actually learn how to play.

Well, guess what. That's exactly what you're doing as a singer. Your voice is an instrument that you need to learn how to play EXACTLY as much as your guitar is. Now I actually like the timbre of your voice, but it's obviously untrained, and more than a little pitchy at times (although it sounds like you get better as you get more comfortable with the song). You rely on affectation a little much.

I don't see any reason why you can't develop a strong singing voice. Quite the contrary, actually, I think your voice is naturally very well suited to this type of music. But no, I wouldn't sit for an hour and listen to you because you obviously haven't done the work to maximize the talent you have, and sometimes it sounds downright awful. I probably would turn around and walk right out if I wanted in when you were doing the "aaa, aaa" things you're doing from 2:50 to 3:15 or so. What should be an emotional high point of the song is almost unlistenable because of your lack of training.

I hope you hear both halves of what I'm saying. I really do think you have the potential to have something really good going on. But I equally strongly feel that you desperately need some training if you want to get there.

Last edited by HotspurJr : 01-30-2013 at 03:38 PM.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
crazycory94
i like potatoes

Thanks for the honest criticism. Getting a teacher is pretty much out of the question so I'll just have to practice alot more than I already have. Now that I go back and listen to the aaa's I get what what you mean. I think for know I'll try to contain my voice to parts of songs that aren't too outrageous such as that.

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
HotspurJr

Quote:
I think for know I'll try to contain my voice to parts of songs that aren't too outrageous such as that.

That's a bad solution. People listen to music for those high points, strip the out and it becomes boring.

Why are lessons pretty much out of the question?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
crazycory94
i like potatoes

The closest town where there are teachers are is over an hour away, plus I cant currently afford them anyway.

There are many pro singers that havent taken lessons, and I'm sure it's not all natural talent right?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycory94
The closest town where there are teachers are is over an hour away, plus I cant currently afford them anyway.

There are many pro singers that havent taken lessons, and I'm sure it's not all natural talent right?

Vocal coaches are very, very common. I have a friend of a friend who is a vocal teacher to pros you've probably heard. This is something you have to work at, and keep working at. And because it's all physical stuff, it often helps to have a coach in an ongoing way. That coach is sometimes in the studio with them.

I suspect you haven't heard an artist on a major label in the last 30 years who hasn't worked with a vocal coach or teacher of some kind at some point in their life. But, again, quite possibly recently.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a singing teacher within an hour of you. Where do you live?

A lot of people who have "natural talent" are people who learned the fundamentals in a choir or something like that as a kid.

Rate This Thread: