Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #21
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
I'm talking more about fretboard cleaners. These are not mineral oil and cause damage. I know that from personal experience. I once used such fretboard cleaner on a Yamaha RGX2A that had some dirt on the fretboard, the next day I noticed that the fretboard became dry and lifeless, I guess that's because the cleaner contained some alcohol.

And there is nothing wrong in using water if you don't allow it to build up into pools and wipe the excess water down after a few seconds. Water is natural and such.

I don't know what fretboard cleaners contain, but naptha is one of the most recommended cleaners for wood because it evaporates really fast. You don't always have to add oil after using naptha, but if you use a lot of it, it's best to apply mineral oil to the fretboard after cleaning.

Basically, the idea is to add mineral oil after cleaning it to avoid that dryness that you noticed. I'm not saying it's the most ideal solution, but introducing moisture to a fretboard is generally going to be a worse idea than using a cleaner and then adding oil due to the fact that water changes wood more than oil.

Fortunately for you, if you regularly oil a fretboard, adding a little water won't do much because the oil will prevent it from seeping in. But if your fretboards are dry, I urge you to use something, like naptha, because if the wood soaks up water it will swell, and the last thing you want to do is swell something that is holding your frets.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
Sledgeman

Get some Fret Doctor, it's great!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #23
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic

I use glass cleaner (Windex)... Haven't tried the stuff with ammonia, don't recommend it.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

God bless EG.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #25
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
Firstly, I use a wet microfibre cloth to wipe the fingerboard down, then I use the dry side of the cloth to get rid of the excessive water.

+1

Been doing it over ten years that way.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
zl1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
The polishes for finished surfaces are water-based. The products for exposed wood are oil-based.

I realize that. In my original post I said that there is nothing wrong with wiping the body (a finished surface) down with a slightly damp cloth, to which you responded with "There is so much wrong with that, I don't even know where to start." So did you misread my post, or am I missing something

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRage1700
If a fretboard becomes unnecessarily grimy and oily, a fretboard cleaner will strip the crap off. However, this should only be done every few years, if even that frequent. Reputable luthiers like Dave McNaught use napthalene to accomplish this. These cleaners will cause drying. That's why a mineral oil or similar conditioner is required: to replenish moisture in the board so that it won't dry out.

Good info! Napthalene is a component of lighter fluid, right? I remember reading that many luthiers/techs will clean grimey fretboards with lighter fluid.

For anybody that's confused about cleaning products, it's worth noting that many luthiers have posted cleaning tips online. Definitely worth a read.
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #27
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
I use glass cleaner (Windex)... Haven't tried the stuff with ammonia, don't recommend it.
Okay, nope, that's it, I'm out. You can all have fun wrecking your guitars. Gonna go hang myself because
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #28
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Considering I spent the last year damn near crippled and only now after extensive surgery can actually walk again, that was actually nicely chosen, well done.

Sorry to hear that, glad you're doing better.

You're still wrong.

And given that microfiber cleaning products have only been readily available for about a decade, one wonders what you think was used previously?

Last edited by Arby911 : 12-10-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #29
MrFlibble

Ultrasuede.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #30
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Ultrasuede.

Yeah right, nice try though. Ultrasuede is a closed fiber, rather than a split-fiber microfiber, making it useless for cleaning.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #31
MrFlibble

Dude here at V&R swears by it and he's going to town on 50s, 60s and even 40s guitars on a daily basis. I rather trust his methods more than anything someone on the internet tells me.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #32
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Dude here at V&R swears by it and he's going to town on 50s, 60s and even 40s guitars on a daily basis. I rather trust his methods more than anything someone on the internet tells me.

As you wish.

Do even a modicum of research, you'll see how silly that is. Ultrasuede is designed specifically to NOT absorb anything (dirt, water etc.), whilst microfiber cleaning cloth is designed to be super absorbent.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #33
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

Checkmate.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #34
MrFlibble

Not really, I literally just have to repeat my previous post. Which would be pointless because you can just look up and re-read it. So go on. Look up. Now re-read that. Yup. There.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #35
DylanHendrix
Acid King

useless thread. *reported*
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: