Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
zilant

What Metal Amp?

I really should stop doing these since everytime I get close to buying one my funds get cut becuase of something. First I was going to get a Mesa Mark IV but my cat drank industrial strength drain cleaner. Then I was well on my way (as in just one paycheck) to getting a 5150 iii mini but the transmission and valve gaskets went out on my car.

So here were are again.
I'll fill out the proper "UG's help me pick my next gear" form:

Budget? - I'd like to keep it around $1000 US. a little more is fine. A lot less is great.

Genres? - Needs to do Metal. Leaning more towards melodeath but lots of be a bit versitile in what it kind of metal it can do. I tend to play (read: sometimes dabble) in other styles as well but most of which use moderate-high gain. Great cleans are not neccessary but good cleans are very much desired. I would really like at least 2 channels on the amp and ideally they would have seperate EQs.

New or Used? - Used is always welcome.

Home or Gig? - Home. Though it will be pushed through a 2x12 with V30's.

Closest City? - Craigslist city is either Los Angeles/Orange County

Current Gear? - I'm currently playing out of a 5150 combo. That thing is sooo noisy. Think angry bee's nest. Great amp, but noisy.

If think I'm looking for an amp that has the same kind of dark voicing as the 5150 but without the bad cleans and slightly tighter gain. Something that can be loose sounding without being mushy. Something that has good thump for palm mutes (I tend to have a naturally heavy pick attack) to it but also has clarity with individual notes or in chords.
The 5150 iii mini has decent enough cleans and has a very tight and focused distortion but is a bit bright.
The mark IV I played seemed pretty Mids/High Mids oriented and didn't have an inherent low end that i've found in my 5150.

If anyone has any good recommendations, I'd love to hear them. If all else fails I'll probably just end up with a 5150 mini when I can find a good deal on it.

If theres anything else that I have left out let me know and I'll fill it in to the best of my ability. Thanks
zilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Perverockstar69

Peavey Jsx

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Used Mesa Dual Rectifier.

JSX palm mutes are very flubby compared to a 5150.

If you really want to spend a lot less take a look at the Peavey Vypyr 120H. It'll do any tones you want. It won't get all the way there, but more importantly it won't half ass it like a lot of regular tube amps do.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
zilant

How are the dual rectifiers cleans?

Also, Are they tight enough on their own or do they need some kind if overdrive in front to get that tightness?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
TremontiAddict

What's that amp coming out I've heard people mentioning around here? ASG Hybris? I'm not sure when it comes out, but it might be something to look at. $1,000 new.

Edit: I think it has a shared EQ though.
TremontiAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #6
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

ASG Hybris

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #7
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Where is La Mirada?(turns out its near the 605 and 91) You can come to my place and try my Krankenstein "plus". High gain monster with huge low end that chugs. You feel it in your stomach.

They fall within your budget. I have a 5150, Mesa mark V and the Kreankenstein plus. Keep in mind the "plus" is almost a new amp compared to the original Krankenstein.

I am a little down south of Irvine.

I have a lower gain JJ81s I can throw in the 5150 so you can compare the cleans.

Last edited by R45VT : 01-08-2013 at 03:12 AM.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilant
How are the dual rectifiers cleans?

Also, Are they tight enough on their own or do they need some kind if overdrive in front to get that tightness?

Better than a 6505. You're not gonna get heavy, tight gain and really good cleans in your budget. 2 Channel Rectos are tighter than the Threes. I'm of the opinion that you need an OD for modern metal with them, but you need an OD with a 6505 too, so that doesn't really say or mean anything.

I'm not sure if the Hybris has cleans if they're good or not.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 01-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
CECamps
Schematic Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

You be the judge.

http://soundcloud.com/asg-amps/hybr...an-ibanez-s5470

http://soundcloud.com/asg-amps/hybr...es-paul-through

http://soundcloud.com/asg-amps/hybr...n-channel-light

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
zilant

That ASG Hybris thing looks pretty nifty! I wish it had two channels or a seperate EQ for the clean channel. When does that come out?

@ R45VT: I just might take you up on that offer, though I'm fairly busy with work much of the time.
I'll PM you if I get a chance to make it down there?
Also, How do you like your Mark V?

@Offworld: I don't use an OD for the 5150 I'm using now. I had a Zakk Wylde OD that I used but I didn't really get into it that much. That being said, I may prefer one with a different amp. Who knows.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
mmjohn
Call me John

The 5150iii 50w is Badass!!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
CECamps
Schematic Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilant
That ASG Hybris thing looks pretty nifty! I wish it had two channels or a seperate EQ for the clean channel. When does that come out?

Glad you dug it!

The Hybris is two channels. Clean and high gain with shared EQ. Despite the EQ being shared, it is not an achilles heel. Translates well to both channels.

We are launching at Winter NAMM this month! There are some demo vids on YouTube if you search for ASG Hybris.

Howdy, my name's Craig.

Member of the GB&C and GG&A "Who to Listen To" lists......listen at your own risk.
CECamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Better than a 6505. You're not gonna get heavy, tight gain and really good cleans in your budget. 2 Channel Rectos are tighter than the Threes. I'm of the opinion that you need an OD for modern metal with them, but you need an OD with a 6505 too, so that doesn't really say or mean anything.

Normally I would agree with you on a most things, but I think the cleans on both these amps are pretty awful for any really "clean" work, though given enough time you can dial something usable for a metal context.

Definitely agree on needing the boost for any sort of tight metal as well, though with the right speaker combination a 6505+ doesn't really need one, but it helps.

Clips of the Hybris' clean channel have been very promising, but the earliest estimate I have heard for release looks like towards the end of the spring, if you can wait that long though, it is looking to be a beast and a half.

EDIT: TS, the Krankenstein + (as well as the Rev +) are great amps, and probably would satisfy your need.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)

Last edited by dementiacaptain : 01-08-2013 at 12:58 PM.
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I'd really like to hear a different style of playing on the cleans. Like more appregiated chords with less breakup and what not.

The light breakup sounded amazing though.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:

I'd really like to hear a different style of playing on the cleans. Like more appregiated chords with less breakup and what not.

The light breakup sounded amazing though.

Go to NAMM them.

And Zilant- I work a shit ton too. The Krankenstein "plus" has literally sat under my office couch for nearly a year. I need an excuse to set the shit up in the garage. Weekends are always better for me. Just PM. It would give you a pretty good idea on what the difference amps sound like minus the dual rectifier. Mark V is just a newer version of the IV and and the IV setting on the V is nearly identical.

Cleans on the Krank are great.

I personally can't wait to hear the Hybris.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Go to NAMM them.

Give me a ride and a place to crash for 4 days and I'll go.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Give me a ride and a place to crash for 4 days and I'll go.

Shit... I am taking 2 vacations days. if you drive up to Mission Viejo I would gladly drive the rest of the way. No place to crash though.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
zilant

@CECamps: I saw the Video of Demon Hunter's demo of the amp. Sounds solid and Early Spring is close to the time I'd be making my purchase so if the stars align I may end up with your amp! I would really rather have a sperate EQ for the clean and drive channels though. We'll see.

@R45VT: If you don't mind playing thats complete shit then I'll try and figure something out and PM you

Is NAMM open to the general public? I work like 10 minutes from the convention center...

Rate This Thread: