Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

US C4C Folk/Americana

Hey guys so it's been a good while since I've posted. I'm just now getting back into the swing of things so I will be more and more over the coming months.

This is a song I co-wrote with my roommate it's kinda a traditional bluegrass tune but hopefully you guys like that stuff! I'd love to know what you guys thought. If you really dig it it's available for free download; it's called "Mary Lou"

https://honestjoe.bandcamp.com

Also if you really feel inclined give us a "like"!

https://www.facebook.com/HonestJoeMusic

Regards, Kevin
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
aaron aardvark

Kevin,
Guitar playing is impressive, nice melodies. Sounds very Americana. Vocal melodies are good, singing is pretty good overall, though it got a bit pitchy before you got into the vocal harmonies. Nice song. Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1620472
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

There isn't actually any guitar in this song, it's just banjo and mandolin I will review your music soon!
Old 10-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Ababil_Albarn
Audio Engineer

Love the playing and the tune man!

The reverb sounds too..."in the box" the"pushing" of air as the individual banjo strings are plucked are too unnatural for a rootsy production such as this. It's expected of modern rock genres coz the reverb is absorbed into the other soundwalls (guitar, distorted bass) so it just contributes to the feeling.

But in this production...have you tried experimenting with an ambient mic in addition of closed micing or DI from the pickup?

Getting some distance in the miking of the banjo, mandolin, rootsy acoustic thing; I found that ambient condenser mics when placed properly really add a live feel (and if you are in a good room, some real reverb), which will be more intimate and "huggy".

Try it man

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

Ababil_Albarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ababil_Albarn
Love the playing and the tune man!

The reverb sounds too..."in the box" the"pushing" of air as the individual banjo strings are plucked are too unnatural for a rootsy production such as this. It's expected of modern rock genres coz the reverb is absorbed into the other soundwalls (guitar, distorted bass) so it just contributes to the feeling.

But in this production...have you tried experimenting with an ambient mic in addition of closed micing or DI from the pickup?

Getting some distance in the miking of the banjo, mandolin, rootsy acoustic thing; I found that ambient condenser mics when placed properly really add a live feel (and if you are in a good room, some real reverb), which will be more intimate and "huggy".

Try it man

The room we can record in is tiny and has a terrible flutter echo. Setting up a room mic in that space wouldn't sound so great. I'll see what I can do with the reverb problem to try and fix it. Maybe I'll try finding a new place to record! Thanks for the crit.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
cados121

Guys!

This is wonderful, I love your sound and the feel of the song. I think that songwriting and storytelling like this is completely lost in a lot of music today and you've created a song that, given some exposure could be really popular. You've gained a facebook friend! Thanks for sharing!
cados121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
KevinFreund
UG Newbie

Thank you very much Cados!
Old 11-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Splitvision

This is very cool I'm really not generally into this kind of music, but I really like the melodies in this song. The singer (you?) has a great voice I think, perfect fit for a song like this. Banjo and mandolin sounds great. Short and sweet. Nice job!

C4C?
https://soundcloud.com/csikasz/carnelian-skies
Splitvision is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: