Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-30-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Rensa

Is my guitar tone any good? What is good guitar tone?

Just wondering does my guitar tone sound too distorted for chord styled playing, i want to play full bar chords not power chords. It is a personal preference because i love to get the full color of tones i can get.

DON'T judge my playing i know it sucks here because i didn't know what i was doing, it was random jamming, trying to demonstrate tone. Sorry it's quiet, my phone mic is weird.

https://soundcloud.com/rensaa/tone-...random-diddling
Rensa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rensa
Just wondering does my guitar tone sound too distorted for chord styled playing, i want to play full bar chords not power chords. It is a personal preference because i love to get the full color of tones i can get.

DON'T judge my playing i know it sucks here because i didn't know what i was doing, it was random jamming, trying to demonstrate tone. Sorry it's quiet, my phone mic is weird.

Me personally i think that if you want to play fill open chords you want a clean tone, open chords and (even slightly) distorted sounds just make it sound horrid, if you still want to use dist and want to play open chords then i suggest maybe getting a pedal
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Jyrgen
Used Register

The scary thing is that ultimately it is up to you to decide if your tone sucks or not. I don't think that tone in the clip is too distorted at all. Random diddling is my favorite thing to do, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
i_am_metalhead
Total Bum

It all comes down to whether or not you are happy with your own town.

It took me a long time to learn that a little gain/distortion goes a long way. If you think it's too distorted then chances are it probably is. If you think there isn't enough distortion, chances are their probably is. Use it in moderation. Just my two cents.
i_am_metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

doesn't sound that distorted to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Rensa

Thanks guys
Old 07-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
dcb4

Yeah man its not TOO distorted trust me on that hahaha... sometimes i crank up a little extreme just for the vibrations it sends through my body (im sure my neighbors hate when i do it) but this sounds nice... a little dull of a distorted sound if u ask me... but tone is all personal preference. im not sure if its just the phone mic that dulled it out so much but try pulling your gain back a bit and boosting that master volume... and always fiddle with the volume nob on your guitar... the best tones you can get are topped off with getting that volume nob just where it wants to be... (jimi hendrix) best description of using this down to a T
dcb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
Rensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb4
Yeah man its not TOO distorted trust me on that hahaha... sometimes i crank up a little extreme just for the vibrations it sends through my body (im sure my neighbors hate when i do it) but this sounds nice... a little dull of a distorted sound if u ask me... but tone is all personal preference. im not sure if its just the phone mic that dulled it out so much but try pulling your gain back a bit and boosting that master volume... and always fiddle with the volume nob on your guitar... the best tones you can get are topped off with getting that volume nob just where it wants to be... (jimi hendrix) best description of using this down to a T

Thanks, great advice man
Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #9
monwobobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rensa

ok a couple of things. great tone has as much to do with the context it's used in so random noodling is often not a great way to judge. does the tone work in the song being played is usually the better gauge. sloppy playing tends to lessen even the best tones. the idea that your tone is in your fingers has at least some merit.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: