Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
peepster1005

Guitar Amp to Speakers Wiring

Hey forum!

Hope I'm posting this is the right place, I seem to have bad luck with that, haha.

Anyways, this is the setup that I currently use in my college dorm room. The reason I have this is so I can play my guitar amp and have a full out jam session any time of the day and not disturb any of my roommates or people in rooms beside/underneath mine, and to be honest, it works very well. But as of recently, I've been having a problem with it. The speaker in the middle of the diagram (also the main component of the whole thing) is starting to go bad due to it's old age, I think. So my question is, does anyone know of something that I could buy to replace the speaker? Keep in mind that it MUST have the RCA connectors in the back and a headphone jack.

Here's the diagram. I took the liberty of making it verbatim to the setup so that you all know exactly what I'm working with!

So if anyone can suggest a way to fix/improve on this setup of mine, it would be greatly appreciated!
peepster1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
Dazzl1113

Why don't you just small mixer instead which appears to be functioning as your main unit speaker thing.

You can route everything to the mixer, depending on the number of channels...I use this one....http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behring...XGP&cagpspn=pla, $49.00.

You can route your RCA from the laptop and line out from your amp to the mixer and route the outputs from the mixer to your speaker setup using either RCA to 1/8" or whatever converter you might need to get the speakers hooked up.

The great thing about this setup is you can also connect your headphone to it to kill all signal out for silent practice.

I basically have the same setup as you but different connections.

I have an amp out going to it via 1/4" inputs, output is going to studio monitors which are 1/4" but this little unit as you can see has RCA in and out, as well as 1/4" etc...very flexible.

Also, if memory serves your amp has an aux input, this would allow you to go straight from your laptop (or ipod) into the amp with the backing track which again you could still use headphone jack of your amp for silent playing through your amp with the jam track too. Or no headphones and the jam track will play through your amp speakers as you play along. So you wouldn't really even need your little desktop speakers really. Nor would you need the mixer, just your laptop, amp and RCA to 1/4" or 1/8" to 1/4" adapter depending on what cable you have to connect your laptop to the amp aux input.
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe

Last edited by Dazzl1113 : 01-15-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Dazzl1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzl1113
Also, if memory serves your amp has an aux input, this would allow you to go straight from your laptop (or ipod) into the amp with the backing track which again you could still use headphone jack of your amp for silent playing through your amp with the jam track too. Or no headphones and the jam track will play through your amp speakers as you play along. So you wouldn't really even need your little desktop speakers really. Nor would you need the mixer, just your laptop, amp and RCA to 1/4" or 1/8" to 1/4" adapter depending on what cable you have to connect your laptop to the amp aux input.
This would seem to make the most sense.

Or a 1/4"-1/8" cable, plug your guitar straight into the the laptop and use something like AmpliTube (you can get it free via registration, there's plenty of sounds and flexibility in the free version, or you can purchase more stuff if you want). A pair of decent headphones and again, no chance of disturbing anyone.

K.I.S.S.

PS: Nice diagram.

PPS: Yeah, you probably should've been in the Guitar Gear & Accessories forum.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club

Last edited by von Layzonfon : 01-15-2013 at 05:34 AM.
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
peepster1005

Awesome guys, thanks for your responses! I'll be sure to look into these suggestions when I get some free time over the weekend!
peepster1005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: