Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
emeryd1

Guys need your help between these two guitars!!

Hey guys!

Looking to buy a fender but one with some form of originality and I've come across 2.

Fender "telebration" mahogany telecaster 2 tone sun burst
Fender American special Stratocaster hss black

stuck between the 2 both have really cool features and within my price range anyone help me out? Or maybe suggest something that's better? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Note that I purposely want a humbucker so just so I have more tonal options.
emeryd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz

By my estimation, those guitars are in the $1000-1400 range, right? Those should be excellent guitars. Good tone, good looks, and tougher than Count Dracula.

Other Strats & Teles with bridge HBs in a similar price range that you might also want to consider would be made by Godin, G&L, and Fret-King. You might even find a real deal.

For example, I just imported a Blue Label Fret-King Super 60 HB from England courtesy of Frets Guitar Centre. They have a limited number of them on deep discount: new ones that typically sell for @£850 were going for £430-495. Even after shipping & import duties, I essentially paid @$680 for a $1200 guitar. (Check 'em out.)

Looking at the used market over the past year or so, I've been finding utterly pristine Godin Progressions and Velocities in the $300-500 range.

There are even more options out there, especially if you're not wedded to a Strat or Tele shape, but are looking more for a particular sound.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
emeryd1

Yeah you are right about the price, I have looked and G&L but completely overlooked Fret-king plus I live in England so could get a bargain.

But i'm still quite intrigued by the telebration mahogany body, a tele with a the weight of a Les paul and a humbucker sounds pretty cool. But I also love the strat with the hss set up and black on black pick guard also 70s headstock. Aaaaaaaaaaah I'm stuck. Guess I'm gonna have to play both.

Thanks for your advice dannyalcatraz
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz

OK- you're in England. That clarifies things a bit, as does your interest in the Strat shape and the mahogany & HB "secret LP" Tele.

How much do those guitars cost in £? I ask, because prices don't exactly translate through currency exchange rates due to tariffs, etc.

There might be better options yet unexplored.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-17-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
randywolf244
resident arrogant

personally im a strat man. i just love the feel of them.
thats what i would go with but its completely up to you just try them both out and get the one you like the most man
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
jetwash69

I like Strats too. Out of the two guitars listed, however, the Tele is the only one that meets the criteria of having some originality.

The Amercian Specials are a dime a dozen and practically just a Blacktop body and neck (but with a '70s headstock and 2 string tees) assembled in California with an HSS pickguard loaded with "Atomic"/"Texas Special" pups and the iffy "Greasebucket Tone Circuit".

Actually, IMHO, the Blacktop Strat is a better guitar, a better deal, and more original.

Given the criteria you listed, I'd go with the Tele. But if it doesn't have to be a Fender, the other options people listed are really cool, too.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Those are two really different guitars. Apples to Oranges.

I would suggest you play both and get a feel for them before you make a decision.

One thing I will say is that the Tele sounds like something you don't really see that often, so there is a chance that you might not be able to get another one. The starts on the other hand are pretty standard and you can find those anywhere without much of a problem.

Just something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
dannyalcatraz

I don't know about availability & price, but it might be worth it to you to investigate the Reverend Double Agent III and the Rick Vito sig. Their korina bodies and mix of pickups make them a tonal rival to that Fender Telebration.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst...uble-agent-iii/

http://www.reverendguitars.com/inst...vito-signature/

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-17-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:09 AM   #9
dannyalcatraz

Another option: Stevens Guitars UK can make a custom mahogany-bodied Tele with your choice of pickups and other high-quality parts starting at £1k.

http://www.stevenscustomguitars.co.uk/Guitars.html

Old 03-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
emeryd1

Well the strat is around £700
The Tele is around £800

But then again aren't fender doing an instant rebate?
I've always admired Reverend guitars but never got to play one, they are quite tricky to acquire in the UK.

Stonyman65 - I think you're right about the tele sounding more unique as you don't ever get Mahogany teles with humbuckers.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
I've always admired Reverend guitars but never got to play one, they are quite tricky to acquire in the UK.

They're not too common in the USA, either. They're a small company.

I live in the Dallas area- one of the top 10 metropolitan areas in the US- and I only know of one store selling them...and they only have a half-dozen in store at a time. The one I bought in January, I had to order from another state.

Glad I did, though. I'm seriously considering getting others down the road, including the 2 I suggested to you.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-17-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
emeryd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz

The one I bought in January, I had to order from another state.

What Reverend did you buy then?
Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz

I bought a 15th Anniversary Flatroc- essentially a psychobilly rock machine. (My NGD is: "My god, it's full of stars!")

Pretty much, Reverend covers most genres short of metal pretty well with their product line, and the guitars are well made.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Rate This Thread: