Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
yumyum_in_my_tu

US Amp Advice

So I decided to start playing again and need amp I don't have my old ones anymore and was wondering what y'all thought.

Now before I ask I will say I have always had 2 amps just for Variety and different uses, I have always had a tube AND a solid state.

The 2 Tube amps I was looking at was the Marshall DSL15c and the Peavey Valveking II

The 2 SS amps I was looking at was the Marshall MG30CFX and the Peavey Bandit

The bandit is 80w which is a little much but it can be turned down which is a plus
Reverb is a must and power attenuation is also a must for the tube amps I like the peavey can go all the way down to 1w.

Also on a side note how is the Yamaha THR10?

My music style is a VERY wide variety: country, blues, like to mess around with some clean stuff, zz top, aerosmith, GNR, acdc, Black Sabbath, def leopard, green day, blink 182, papa roach, bfmv, Devil wears Prada, etc you name it I at least attempt to play it.
yumyum_in_my_tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Guitaraddict45

I use a Peavey Bandit 112 for Practice and i love it........I've even used it on small gigs

My Main amp is a Peavey 5150......I play metal and hard rock and the 5150 will rip your face off and can be found used for under 500...

I use a Les Paul , Tele Custom, and Flying V on most gigs and they all sound awesome with the 5150..

The only problem is the SOB weighs 90lbs.. But worth the trouble
Guitaraddict45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
yumyum_in_my_tu

New
MIM tele, Gibson SG
Dover Delaware
Around $600 for tube
Anywhere $200-$350 for SS
Home use Exclusively

Any words about the Yamaha THR10?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

The THR10 is pretty good for what it is but what it is, is a toy.

Peavey Classic 30 would probably fit the bill. So would a JCA2112.
Don't discount the Vyper Tube 60 either. It has an analog SS preamp, digital effects and the power amp out of a 6505. Capable of everything from quiet practice to gigging with a drummer.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:21 PM   #6
Taz9

Quote:
Now before I ask I will say I have always had 2 amps just for Variety and different uses, I have always had a tube AND a solid state.

My advice would be: You better spend all of you money toward 1 good amp, rather than 2 not so good amps.

I saw ikey_ just go himself a Carvin 3m. I don't usually recommand stuff I don't know about, but it seems like a good little poney and very versatile. Spend the rest of your budget on a cab. Maybe you should check this one out.

Last edited by Taz9 : 08-30-2014 at 11:23 PM.
Taz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
Clarkinator

For your budget, you could easily find a Peavey Classic 30 or 50. I've got one and it served me real well (my go-to amp is an AC30 but I used my Classic 50 for heavy gigging and whatnot for a good year before I got the Vox). They sound good, have both a clean and overdrive channel which is nice (gives you a good variety which you may be looking for since you are just getting back into playing), take pedals well, etc.

I got my used Classic 50 for $400 or so when I bought it. I think you can get them new for $850 or so. Classic 30 is going to be a little cheaper.
Clarkinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:17 AM   #8
Guitaraddict45

The Classic 50 and the Vox AC30 are both good amps. But if super clean fender like tones are not important (i play clasic punk and metal style) i think a used 5150 for 500 bucks will kick the crap out of both will room to spare....

Very underated amp......10 yrs from now i believe they will be going for big bucks.....Get one now..
Guitaraddict45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
yumyum_in_my_tu

I really do like the JCA2112 but the lack of a good clean tone just kills it for me
Old 08-31-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
boblittle
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumyum_in_my_tu
I really do like the JCA2112 but the lack of a good clean tone just kills it for me

A believe there was a site where you can order a JCA with Mods (different channels different transformers, tubes, Depth controls ect. ) done by Soldano (IIRC) for not too much more then it costs to buy one. Ill see if I can find it.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???

Last edited by boblittle : 08-31-2014 at 12:22 PM.
boblittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:38 PM   #11
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblittle
A believe there was a site where you can order a JCA with Mods (different channels different transformers, tubes, Depth controls ect. ) done by Soldano (IIRC) for not too much more then it costs to buy one. Ill see if I can find it.

It was on the JCA site, but they don't offer them any more. The Friedman Browneye mod is the one to get if you can find it.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
yumyum_in_my_tu

What about a fender blues junior III and I just use pedals for the heavier stuff?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #13
Robbgnarly

Quote:
What about a fender blues junior III and I just use pedals for the heavier stuff?

You can do that, but I really prefer my amp to get as close to the sound I want and then use a boost pedal to get the gain I really desire.

It is up to you, but that is my prefrence
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #14
diabolical

Quote:
So I decided to start playing again and need amp I don't have my old ones anymore and was wondering what y'all thought.

The 2 Tube amps I was looking at was the Marshall DSL15c and the Peavey Valveking II

The 2 SS amps I was looking at was the Marshall MG30CFX and the Peavey Bandit.

No to the MG, yes to all the other ones. I'd probably go Marshall, the VK is a bit darker but will also serve you well.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
MaaZeus

For the music you play and if you are stuck to those choices, definetly Valveking. It has great clean channel and dirt channel is also quite usable as long as you do not expect nothing extreme (which you do not play apparently) from it, atleast without an overdrive pedal. Which is something every tube amp owner should have anyway in their arsenal IMHO, if nothing else then to give some extra kick for leads.

Marshall MG is poop. Bandit is good if you want a decent practice amp or a reliable emergency backup strong enough to stand a nuclear attack if your main amp breaks during a gig. Dunno a thing about DSL15c so no opinions for that one.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: