Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #21
tottsk1

I don't think you sing an octave lower in the beginning, because it's pretty low notes. What is your vocal range?

The Human Abstract song seems to be in baritone range, Im not sure but he seems to only sing in one octave range the whole song.
tottsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #22
Usernames sucks

My range is from D to D in two octaves. (Lowest string on a guitar in drop d, to the D on 3rd fret D on the b string on a guitar.
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #23
tottsk1

Then your range is D2 to D4 if im not mistaken? Can also be D3 to D5 but thats pretty high, how does your voice sound, bassy or light?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
Usernames sucks

My talking voice is pretty low.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
tottsk1

Okay, i guess you are a bass singer then, they usually are around D2-D4 or E2-E4. But that don't really matter, if you learn the right technique you should probably be able to reach the tenor range with your head voice or at least baritone-tenor.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #26
food1010
Bassist

John Frusciante, John Mayer.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #27
Usernames sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsk1
Okay, i guess you are a bass singer then, they usually are around D2-D4 or E2-E4. But that don't really matter, if you learn the right technique you should probably be able to reach the tenor range with your head voice or at least baritone-tenor.

Yeah, after i became a vocalist in a band, i feel like i have been born with a curse because of my range :/ How do i use head voice? I can do falsetto, but it has no power.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
tottsk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernames sucks
Yeah, after i became a vocalist in a band, i feel like i have been born with a curse because of my range :/ How do i use head voice? I can do falsetto, but it has no power.

Try to imitate the sound of an ambulance siren, or do the "who!" sound really high and you should find your head voice. If the sound is very airy then it's probably falsetto but if it's squeaky or pure and clear it's probably your head voice.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #29
jrenkert

You, sir, are not a baritone. You are a bass, the bad news is that little popular music is incredibly accessible for our range. The good news is that good technique and popular music are so far removed that as long as you can match pitch you will find someone to listen to you.

I have been struggling with the "I am a bass, poor me" issue for a long time now and with practice you will find that there is very little you cant achieve. My range in full voice is C2-E4 and there is little now that I cannot sing. Worst comes to worst you can always change the key or down tune your guitar a half step or two (you'll be amazed at what that can do).

My real break through came in 2 parts; figuring out that most of the people I listen to don't have technically brilliant voices and learning how to growl. These findings have revolutionized me.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #30
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Yes, you are a bass.

Axl seems to me to be a baritone, except he often uses falsetto when he goes up high, (though he has it down to an art) as do many other hair-metal singers.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
itsgoodtobefree

Some guys with deep (mainly baritone) voices in non-classical music:

Justin Vernon (from Bon Iver)
Matt Berninger (from The National)
Pete Yorn
John Mayer
Nick Drake
Chris Martin (from Coldplay)
Damon Albarn (from Blur)
Richard Ashcroft (from The Verve)

If you feel you are stuck with a bass/baritone range, then the mixed voice technique is for you. It combines the strength and loudness from the chest voice with the tonality and clarity of the head voice. This makes it easier to hit high notes. Look it up on youtube, plenty of videos.
itsgoodtobefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 AM   #32
20Tigers

Turn your speakers up and listen intently to the groove at the start of this song. Then when his voice comes in "Baby I've been waitin...." you don't just hear it, you FEEL it.

You can have all the high balled pretty boy singers in a bar hitting on some fine woman but when Leonard speaks, that's when she knows a real man is in the room.

I know its not quite the rock/metal scene you're looking for but it shows how freakin awesome a deep voice can be. Use what you got. don't try to sing as a tenor if you're a bass. Rock is not about sounding like everyone else. It's about being yourself, lettin it all hang out, and not giving a shit.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #33
Sethis

^Agreed. Being a baritone is not really a curse. Even in hair metal and generally music with very high singing most actual singing is done in the mix part of the voice. The really high notes are usually just one scream or something. So it's not like you should care a lot. Plus you can always learn to sing higher, it's close to impossible to sing lower.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: