Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #21
Monkeyleg
UG Fanatic

I go to extremes with my toys, and take as good care of them as I can. I wipe down my guitars every night, after playing them 2-6 hours each day. I change strings every 4-6 weeks, especially if it seems like they don't sound as good as I remember. I have brackets on the wall to hang them from, as I like looking at them.

If I got to the point where I'd be taking a guitar somewhere to play, I'd get one that was already scratched up.

I'm the same way with my 24 year-old Harley, which has tons of miles on it but still looks great, my Mustang, guns, knives and other toys.
Monkeyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #22
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle

I baby my CT7. To the point of threatening people with a crowbar if they so much as look at it for too long.

She's my child. Though not biologically (obviously).

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 AM   #23
jhalterman
Master Baiter

It seems quite a few people missed the point of this. There's a difference between taking care of your guitar and then going overboard with it (which is what I'm talking about). I was simply asking if you ever took a step back and thought, "Yea, this might be a little too much."

Thanks for all the answers, nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I put $300 guitars in cases just because.
Considering it started out near a grand there is no way in hell I'd ever treat it like a $300 guitar. Hell, I'd treat my Dean better than a PRS if I ever owned one.

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
jhalterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 AM   #24
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

My guitars live in cases or on stands or wall mounts...but I don't clean them regularly.

I don't gig or smoke, so that's a non-issue. I do take several of them outside the home to practice in places like my yard or my Church's courtyard, so they do get exposed to the elements and temperature changes.

For the most part, I let people handle my guitars, as long as I'm sure their hands are relatively clean- no Cheetos, no PB&Js, no greasy foods, etc.

I'm thinking that, on balance, I'm slightly more careful than average with my guitars, but not ridiculously so.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:15 AM   #25
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
i've put tires on cars that did't cost as much as the tires did.

When I was in high school, I had a car that cost $1200 and I put a set of rims and tires on it that cost $2600

and that is mid 1990's prices
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 07-09-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalterman
It seems quite a few people missed the point of this. There's a difference between taking care of your guitar and then going overboard with it (which is what I'm talking about). I was simply asking if you ever took a step back and thought, "Yea, this might be a little too much."

Thanks for all the answers, nevertheless.

Considering it started out near a grand there is no way in hell I'd ever treat it like a $300 guitar. Hell, I'd treat my Dean better than a PRS if I ever owned one.

My PRS was $2000+ new and I don't treat it any different than my epiphone G-400
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #27
Bones2

I treat all of my guitars better than some of the adults I've seen; Most of them are on wall mounts (my acoustic is on a stand) , I play all of them at least one hour per day, and clean them up when I see fit. My Iceman gets the special attention: I play it the most, I clean it before my other guitars, I polish it extra (I like it really shiny), and I only let certain people touch it, and less people get to play it. What would you expect though, it was my first guitar, and it looks so cool!

Firm hater of the Les Paul. Fan of the Iceman.

You just can't have enough guitars. It is impossible for that to happen.
Bones2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:01 AM   #28
voncameron

I'd take more care if I had a more stable life (I've moved to a new house, trailer, apartment, a minimum of once a year since I was 15- I'm 24 now). I also gig sometimes three times a week. My guitars are a little dinged, but I think it adds character, plus I've never spent more than $600 on a guitar (yet), and they're certainly not worth that. That being said, I occasionally wipe them down, and do a pretty thorough cleaning whenever I change the strings.

I do work at a guitar store in a pretty nice area, and there are a lot of guys who come in with $4000 guitars they can barely play but will freak out if the guitar has the tiniest of dings or scratches. It's a little frustrating.

Last edited by voncameron : 07-10-2013 at 12:03 AM.
voncameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #29
jhalterman
Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2
I treat all of my guitars better than some of the adults I've seen; Most of them are on wall mounts (my acoustic is on a stand) , I play all of them at least one hour per day, and clean them up when I see fit. My Iceman gets the special attention: I play it the most, I clean it before my other guitars, I polish it extra (I like it really shiny), and I only let certain people touch it, and less people get to play it. What would you expect though, it was my first guitar, and it looks so cool!

Same goes for my Dean, lol. But wow, an Iceman as your first guitar? Fucking awesome!

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
jhalterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: