Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
 
Andrew/WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottinghamshire, England
Fake Pickups?

I've seen these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Origi...=item46095659d6

and it seems too good to be true, are fake pickups an often occurrence or what? just a little sceptical seeing as they're from hong kong
Andrew/WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
lemurflames
chugchugchugchug
 
lemurflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oklahoma
What seems off about them? I have a pair of 707s in my desk right now and they look similar.
__________________
ESP LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Andrew/WK
Chug Chug!
 
Andrew/WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottinghamshire, England
Just because they're from hong kong, i've had fake stuff from there before (my fault obviously) but they're the real deal then?
Andrew/WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
lemurflames
chugchugchugchug
 
lemurflames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oklahoma
I'm not authority on that, to be honest. I can't see anything wrong with them, but someone might know something I don't. Maybe an EMG aficionado can chime in.
__________________
ESP LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
Robbgnarly
Registered User
 
Robbgnarly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NSB, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew/WK
I've seen these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-Origi...=item46095659d6

and it seems too good to be true, are fake pickups an often occurrence or what? just a little sceptical seeing as they're from hong kong

That seems like normal pricing, but you dont get any of the pots or jack
__________________
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!
 
Huge Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think fakes usually have "too good to be true" pricing plus free shipping...and usually come out of mainland China, not HK...though HK is full of make merchandise, I've been there and seen it personally.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
 
Pink Muse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Don't close the coffin yet.
That's barely even too good to be true. I got a (used) 85/60 set for $65 + shipping. You just have to keep an eye out I guess.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?


Would you run down past the fence?
Tell us, is the black box lying?
Pink Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Alucard817
Registered User
 
Alucard817's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
As a personal rule I NEVER trust gear coming from China, at all, period.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:41 AM   #9
ESPRZKSpieler
RAMMSTEIN
 
ESPRZKSpieler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
It's a good price for them, sure. The pictures look real, but that doesn't mean they'll send you the ones pictured.
__________________
ESP RZK-1 Platinum
ESP RZK-1 Burnt
ESP RZK-1 Olympic White
ESP RZK-II Burnt
ESP 901
LTD Alexi-600 Blacky

Line 6 Flextone II HD 200
ESPRZKSpieler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I've bought loads of stuff from China. From rear seat cowls for my bike to pick guards and controls. All are absolutely fine. Of course there's a little bit of hassle if there's a problem but if you want it cheap and are prepared to wait its ideal.

It's alright to get Western owned, Chinese made stuff like iPhones and all your appliances but not Chinese based? If you go off eBay and they have loads of good feedback the proof is there that they are fine. Don't discriminate based on their nationality, there's a word for that.

Just saying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 01-27-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
SteveHOC
Used Register
 
SteveHOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I've bought loads of stuff from China. From rear seat cowls for my bike to pick guards and controls. All are absolutely fine. Of course there's a little bit of hassle if there's a problem but if you want it cheap and are prepared to wait its ideal.

It's alright to get Western owned, Chinese made stuff like iPhones and all your appliances but not Chinese based? If you go off eBay and they have loads of good feedback the proof is there that they are fine. Don't discriminate based on their nationality, there's a word for that.

Just saying.


Pretty much spot on. A lot of the parts manufactured come from the East anyway. Where you run into inflated prices is where you get into assembly space, import tax on bulk manufactured goods, and up-charge to associate the place of assembly with quality.

I'm not saying buy all your parts or gear from international dealers in the East, but yeah, consumer reviews speak volumes on what you're getting.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
ou8me99
Registered User
 
ou8me99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Theirs nothing fake about them, but they could easily of gotten that picture anywhere.
ou8me99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Pretty much spot on. A lot of the parts manufactured come from the East anyway. Where you run into inflated prices is where you get into assembly space, import tax on bulk manufactured goods, and up-charge to associate the place of assembly with quality.

I'm not saying buy all your parts or gear from international dealers in the East, but yeah, consumer reviews speak volumes on what you're getting.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
 
jeleopard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I've bought loads of stuff from China. From rear seat cowls for my bike to pick guards and controls. All are absolutely fine. Of course there's a little bit of hassle if there's a problem but if you want it cheap and are prepared to wait its ideal.

It's alright to get Western owned, Chinese made stuff like iPhones and all your appliances but not Chinese based? If you go off eBay and they have loads of good feedback the proof is there that they are fine. Don't discriminate based on their nationality, there's a word for that.

Just saying.



This, plus Warwick Rock Basses and other great Chinese guitars. Omnom.
__________________
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
zackk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: united states
They look legitimate. Not everything from Hong Kong is fake.
zackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.