User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Good point.

On topic:

"The SM57 is the best" thing is mostly thrown around by people who don't know much about recording, it's the best for micing guitar cabs and snare drums... and that's about it. Really it depends on what you're going to be recording, with an acoustic guitar a nice matched stereo pair or an LDC is great, vocals is the LDC again.

I mean sure the SM57 will work on vocals, but it'll sound pretty flat... then again as you said you don't mind the quality then it could be okay.

Seriously T4D just get over yourself. TS stated why he didn't want to use software, who are you to tell him he's wrong in a such a subjective matter. He isn't looking to record the next Foo Fighters album, calm down.

It'd be like hiring an entire building crew to put up a garden shed instead of just using a hammer. Sure one will do it perfectly... but the results with a hammer will be perfectly fit for purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 11-28-2012 at 11:50 AM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
So, all I've gotten out of this was that T4D likes using PC-based recording and GaryBillington likes MultiTrackers. I'm actually disappointed. I came in here hoping there'd be a few tips that might help my personal situation. All I got was an argument; you guys are really letting TS down.

Edit: Although, it sounds like GB was correct this whole time. It still really didn't help me or, I'm sure, the TS for you two to be arguing. That said, it sounds like T4D just didn't like the MultiTracker he bought and did like using a PC-based recording system. So, he ditched the MultiTracker and went with ProTools or whatever. (Ugh, even I groan about ProTools though.) Anyway...let's move on...

Anyway, I'm going to be running Reaper with a few VSTs. My recording chain will be:
Guitar -> Guitar Link Interface (give me $200, and I'll get something better; for now, it's what I can afford) -> PC -> Reaper.

Any advice on that setup or on using Reaper itself?

Welcome to the UG Recording Forums, where a simple question can bring out the essay writing in all of us.

Anyways, on topic (or at least to reply to your question), obviously you know the main hangup in your signal chain is the guitar link cable. Once you get the money to upgrade to a good interface like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, you'll notice the difference.

As far as using Reaper, start with watching a few basic "How To Use Reaper" videos. I'm not sure of any good ones to suggest (Pro Tools user here) but I'm sure if people stop fighting for a minute, someone can point you in the right direction.

^HINT HINT!^

After learning how to use it and getting a song tracked, I'd dive into a few videos on mixing. There are thousands since it seems like everyone with a DAW and a desktop capture program has 30 videos on how to mix. I personally like The Recording Revolution but like I said, there are thousands of videos so take your pick.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
T4D
20 guitars and counting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Anyway, I'm going to be running Reaper with a few VSTs. My recording chain will be:
Guitar -> Guitar Link Interface (give me $200, and I'll get something better; for now, it's what I can afford) -> PC -> Reaper.

Any advice on that setup or on using Reaper itself?

your right on all counts,. sorry about the Protools comment But I do enjoy it

all said and done there is NO wrong answer recording is a art form and what you choose to uses is well your artist decision. like what you hear GREAT if not keep searching.

First just get the cheapest usb interface you can from a well know brand ,nothing more then 2 or 3 years old ( make sure it's USB 2 NOT 1 ) and make sure it has drivers for Windows 7 or 8 ( this shows the drivers get updated around $50 it will work and best start before you line up for a pro interface before you know your workflow ,..it's very flexiable using software to record so you may develop your own special needs

maybe 4 output and only 2 inputs?
maybe need 4 of each or 10 ? ,.
maybe only need one input and use a standard sound card ?
maybe need mic preamps in the interface ?
maybe not and you go straight and mix in the software
maybe you are driving midi gear and need midi ports
maybe you want to use your effect pedal and gear inside reaper
maybe you want to connect digital drums into reaper

there ALOT of option best start cheap knock out afew songs and get a better idea how you want to work and get the gear that fits that workflow.

(I got something way over my needs a m-audio Delta 10/10 i never use all the ports all looking back i could have gotten something more well suited to my needs )

check the free amp sims and go hard in reaper

another option,. I have not got this BUT looking back a Line 6 guitar port ( very cheap also gives you amp farm for free.

I have used an X3 abit better then the Port ,. the X3 records 2 channels at once one straight, one with your effects very handy for editing later.

just go and get into reaper it's very good and the forums are alive and kicking

once you start you can keep it simple OR you can become the next Chris Lord-Alge the fact is you do control how far you want to go.

I got Protools, Eleven Rack & lots of other stuff.

Last edited by T4D : 11-28-2012 at 12:13 PM.
T4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

Well from what im understanding if i get an interface that can save what im recording on to something like a memory card or something, couldnt i just plug that in with what i recorded saved on it into my computer and then use software like reaper to use some of the things like reorganizing parts and using samples? If i enjoy working on things like this i definitly plan on getting better stuff like software, this is sort of to test the waters and be able to record demos
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Check out my soundcloud - Cold Things Never Catch Fire
jesus=dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus=dinosaur
Well from what im understanding if i get an interface that can save what im recording on to something like a memory card or something, couldnt i just plug that in with what i recorded saved on it into my computer and then use software like reaper to use some of the things like reorganizing parts and using samples? If i enjoy working on things like this i definitly plan on getting better stuff like software, this is sort of to test the waters and be able to record demos

You could do that, but why not just get a Direct Input (DI) interface or use a mic and then use Reaper for recording, editing, etc.? Reaper is fully capable of doing the whole thing.
But honestly, if you're going to use Reaper, then the evaluation license never runs out (so, it's free until you decide to pay $60 for an actual license and the free version does everything the paid version does). Compare that to paying for a MultiTracker. You will, obviously, have to buy some sort of DI interface (see here) or a mic (Shure m57 is the standard for mic'ing amps/cabs), unless you already have one.

Tip: Don't just use any old mic, the recording will probably sound like garbage, if your mic isn't designed for mic'ing amps/cabs. I'm learning a LOT about what is likely to sound like crap lately.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 11-28-2012 at 06:26 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
jesus=dinosaur
UG's gayest heterosexual

The tascam interface im looking at has a usb out for transferring everything, I just looked if it had a direct out because i didnt think of that before you guys mentioned it. It doesnt say direct out but isnt it pretty much the same thing?
'65 Fender Vibrochamp
Martin D-15

Check out my soundcloud - Cold Things Never Catch Fire
jesus=dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM   #27
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

The USB out on the Tascam you're looking at is for transferring the tracks you've recorded to your PC, so it will work for that if you choose to switch to software in the future.

The dp02 isn't actually an interface though - interfaces are designed for you to record direct to your PC. As you said in the first post, you want to start out with a standalone unit, that's what it is. If you want a multitracker that can also act as an interface to hook up directly to a software based DAW, I'd recommend the Zoom R16 which can work both ways.

The dp02 is a good enough unit to get you started and and like I said originally, it will last you until you outgrow the number of tracks it has (that's the only reason I got rid of my old 8 track that I'd been using for about 10 years and upgraded to a 24 track).

Even if you do switch to software in the future, a multitracker like that is a good thing to have lying around as it's far more portable, you can take it to band practices, jam sessions etc. without needing to pack up your whole PC.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #28
diabolical

Why not just settle the argument and get the Zoom? The R16 or R24 both can be used as standalone or as audio interface so you can decide which way works better for you.

As a recording engineer I can tell you that hardware almost always trumps software in dependability. Some of these hardware recorders can go on forever if you don't abuse them/knock them around/spill beverages, etc. Software will give you more choices and be cheaper.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: