Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #61
Realityburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
^^^ Alternatively if you play with people of a similar level you can get a "distorted" view of how good you actually are. Schools would be a good example of this, I vaguely recall in my first high school that there was a guy who was the "guitar god" guy, praised by all for his skills. Mine weren't recognised I guess because I wasn't "cool" enough.

However I cannot find any evidence that he played after high school. I was kinda hoping to catch him on the local scene but nope, just disappeared.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing myself here. I've played for 18 years, and my skill level is about what you'd expect for someone who has played that long but never practiced enough.

I've played for long enough that I know what I'm good at and I'm aware of what I'm not good at. The list of what I'm not good at is much longer than the list of what I am good at.

You want me to improvise a metal rhythm riff? You got it.
You want me to sit in on lead guitar with a jazz combo? Not happening. At least not in such a way that won't be embarrassing to me.

OP: As long as you can play your chord progressions cleanly and do simple melodies well, you shouldn't have any issue playing in a worship band. I don't recall having ever heard one that played music that was complex enough to require virtuoso musicians.
Realityburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:52 AM   #62
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

^^^^ Oh I didn't intend to bash you. Just support your view and added an observation.

Rate This Thread: