Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Dcat1000

Did I score with this Pearl Set?

Greetings!

I'm a bassist/guitarist/pianist/etc and wanted to finally get a drum set. The guys I jam with has a drum set and I've played on it before and picked up pretty good. His was something of TAMA.

I always knew of the big four (Pearl, Ludwig, TAMA, and DDrum). I was looking on my local Craigslist and saw a Pearl set for 300$. And bought it. Here's what it came with:

Pearl Forums Series Bass, Rack, and Floor Tom
Mapex Metal Snare
Sabian B8 PRO Hi Hats & CB Drums Hi hat stand
Zildjian ZXT 14 thin ride & Stand
Zildjian ZBT 18 crash/ride & Adjustable/Turning Stand.
CB Drums single bass pedal
Gibraltar ROCK Double Bass Pedal
All Top Heads are Remo
All Bottom Heads are Pearl
Also came with a Throne and a new Set of Sticks.

So was it a good deal or did I do bad?

Squier AffinityTelecaster
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Pearl Forum Series Drums
Dcat1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
cliff_em_all

Forums are quite standard drum kits i guess. Tried and tested in million of venues backlines. Learn to tune it well, and save up to replace the Bass pedal and cymbals and you'll have a nice sounding kit.

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
cliff_em_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcat1000
Greetings!

I'm a bassist/guitarist/pianist/etc and wanted to finally get a drum set. The guys I jam with has a drum set and I've played on it before and picked up pretty good. His was something of TAMA.

I always knew of the big four (Pearl, Ludwig, TAMA, and DDrum). I was looking on my local Craigslist and saw a Pearl set for 300$. And bought it. Here's what it came with:

Pearl Forums Series Bass, Rack, and Floor Tom
Mapex Metal Snare
Sabian B8 PRO Hi Hats & CB Drums Hi hat stand
Zildjian ZXT 14 thin ride & Stand
Zildjian ZBT 18 crash/ride & Adjustable/Turning Stand.
CB Drums single bass pedal
Gibraltar ROCK Double Bass Pedal
All Top Heads are Remo
All Bottom Heads are Pearl
Also came with a Throne and a new Set of Sticks.

So was it a good deal or did I do bad?

It's an alright deal. Forums don't generally sell for a lot, they're low-end kits and sound pretty average for a kit in its price range. Depending on the Mapex snare you got, it could be a better deal.

Sabian B8 and Zildjian ZXT/ZBT are entry-level, beginner cymbals. Most of them sound terrible, but there's a few gems out there. CB gear is generally not that desirable and the Gibraltar Rock series was their lowest grade of hardware in the mid-90s, if I remember correctly.

A full kit for $300 that's ready to play right off the bat is a decent price, regardless. I wouldn't expect it to sound too great, but you could probably part it out for a good bit more than you paid, if you ever go to upgrade.

Also - since when has ddrum ever been considered to be in the "big four" of drum manufacturers? Yamaha and DW/PDP, along with Sonor and Premier deserve to be on that list well before any ddrum is ever mentioned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
Dcat1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
Also - since when has ddrum ever been considered to be in the "big four" of drum manufacturers? Yamaha and DW/PDP, along with Sonor and Premier deserve to be on that list well before any ddrum is ever mentioned...

I have no idea. I completely forgot about Yamaha! But I said DDrum because I know there are some bands out there that use them (Megadeth for example). But I always thought they were. My bad
Squier AffinityTelecaster
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Pearl Forum Series Drums
Dcat1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #5
NWD2100

For 300 it is a good deal. You are probably paying half of what it would cost brand new. Cb drums make budget stands but they are decent products. I would definitely replace the bass pedal though.

The Sabian B8 Pros sound good for the price same with the Zildjian ZBT crash ride. The thing about ZBTs is that they will crack after about 2-3 years unless you are careful. Just make sure you always use wooden tips don't mess with nylon tips.

What I can honestly tell you is that I have used the same Pearl Forum kit for 16 years and it still sounds great with good drum heads, proper tuning. Get yourself a drum dial and have your buddy show you how to tune the kit.
NWD2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWD2100
For 300 it is a good deal. You are probably paying half of what it would cost brand new. Cb drums make budget stands but they are decent products. I would definitely replace the bass pedal though.

The Sabian B8 Pros sound good for the price same with the Zildjian ZBT crash ride. The thing about ZBTs is that they will crack after about 2-3 years unless you are careful. Just make sure you always use wooden tips don't mess with nylon tips.

What I can honestly tell you is that I have used the same Pearl Forum kit for 16 years and it still sounds great with good drum heads, proper tuning. Get yourself a drum dial and have your buddy show you how to tune the kit.

No they won't.

Cymbals should last forever unless you don't know how to hit them correctly, or there's some flaw in the manufacturing process.
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com
Old 07-13-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
NWD2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
No they won't.

Cymbals should last forever unless you don't know how to hit them correctly, or there's some flaw in the manufacturing process.

If you say so. I purchased a set of ZBTs and everything in that cymbal set cracked on me other than the hats. I did also buy a Sabian B8 pro 5 years ago and it has never cracked. Just personal experience with the ZBTS.
NWD2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
cliff_em_all

TBF ZBTs are known for not being able to withstand a large amount of drumming regardless of technique. Mainly due to being a poor cymbal that isn't built well. At the end of the day, cheap sheet cymbals will always break/wear quicker than cast cymbals, and this is why I always recommenced the first thing a drummer upgrades to be their cymbals. It is true though that a good pair of cast cymbal will last you throughout your playing career (unless you are on some serious touring routines where other factors like handling will come into play)

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
cliff_em_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
MatrixClaw
UG God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_em_all
TBF ZBTs are known for not being able to withstand a large amount of drumming regardless of technique. Mainly due to being a poor cymbal that isn't built well. At the end of the day, cheap sheet cymbals will always break/wear quicker than cast cymbals, and this is why I always recommenced the first thing a drummer upgrades to be their cymbals. It is true though that a good pair of cast cymbal will last you throughout your playing career (unless you are on some serious touring routines where other factors like handling will come into play)

Paiste Alpha, Meinl M-Series and Sabian APX are all sheet-made cymbals and there's large speculation that all of Paiste's B8 line (including the 2002s and Giant Beats), as well as their Signature series, are made from sheets. Actually - anything that's made from something other than B20 is probably cut from a sheet, because it's readily available commercially and doesn't require a foundry to make them. All of these are professional cymbals that don't wear any quicker than others

The difference between sheet and cast cymbals has no bearing on the quality of the cymbal whatsoever. The reason you're breaking these "sheet" cymbals is probably because you find you need to hit them harder than a higher quality, cast, cymbal to get the sound you want out of them.
Quote:

www.SanctityStudios.com

Rate This Thread: