User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 AM   #20461
Dreadnought
World Ender

Core workout from a couple of days ago:

Code:
1) one-leg front lever holds (2s alternating each leg) 2) KB windmills w/ 70lbs (10x each arm) superset Dragonflags 3) V-ups superset one-arm dumbbell situps 4) 20 minutes of intervals on the stairmaster

Today's workout:

Code:
AM 1) 2x800m sprints, 2 min rest in between 2) 7x400m sprints, 1 min rest in between 3) 5x200m sprints, 1 min rest in between PM 1) Over 3-5 sets, work up to 3 rep max on bench. Managed 300, not too bad. 2) 4 sets of incline dumbbell press 3) 4 sets of underhand BB bench 4) 3 sets of elevated ring pushups 5) 3 sets of diamond hindu pushups

Starlight High Tide

Hawaiian Skies (cover)
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:45 AM   #20462
TheChaz
UG Newbie

I've literally never once pulled sumo. I might give it a shot tomorrow, although I'm reading that conventional deadlift is generally better for taller lifters.
TheChaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:04 AM   #20463
JackalUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Oh, and if it's any consolation I can't even work out at all at the moment because I did too many things wrong and ignored body, and now need to rest my back completely and wait to see a physio.

I took 2 years to get my leg looked at after tearing my hip flexor, despite the fact I would play and pull it every game and end up in pain.

Then once that was sorted (2 months ago) I did my hamstring, which is now at around 90% wellness. Ankle is totally shot though. I love football....
JackalUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #20464
sk8byf8bob
sk8byf8bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
I've literally never once pulled sumo. I might give it a shot tomorrow, although I'm reading that conventional deadlift is generally better for taller lifters.

I'm 6'3" and pull sumo every 3 weeks or in meets and do all my accessory work with conventional. I can get a few more lbs out of sumo and its easier on my back. I dont do it every week or every lift because I have a fairly wide squat stance and its too much stress on the hips

It just depends on your proportions and strong and weak points.

My conv. and sumo DL max are pretty much the same weight though
sk8byf8bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #20465
Ablast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought

Today's workout:

Code:
AM 1) 2x800m sprints, 2 min rest in between 2) 7x400m sprints, 1 min rest in between 3) 5x200m sprints, 1 min rest in between PM 1) Over 3-5 sets, work up to 3 rep max on bench. Managed 300, not too bad. 2) 4 sets of incline dumbbell press 3) 4 sets of underhand BB bench 4) 3 sets of elevated ring pushups 5) 3 sets of diamond hindu pushups

By underhand BB bench, do you mean like a chin-up grip? If so, those are fantastic for the upper chest, although I can never manage with a barbell, so I use dumbbells of an ez curl bar.
What's your 800m time?? I haven't sprinted more than 400m as of late.
Ablast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #20466
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Sick as a dog but pushed through a work out. Power and hang power snatches, halt cleans, split jerks and front squats. I'm wrecked

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #20467
Bladez22
UG Bewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath at #33476581
Haven't really got much help to offer, I've put on a bit of weight over the last year and a half or so but nothing dramatic, but I can sympathise as I'm not in too dissimilar a situation - I'm 5'10 and weigh a little under 11 stone (I fluctuate around 67-70kg atm, or 145-150lbs ish at the moment).

I will say, though, that I seemed to get a little bigger and move up to this weight from being 65kg ish a year or two ago, since I started doing a full body routine (did SL 5x5 plus a few accessory things) and ordering from musclefood.com (as I believe you're in UK, give them a try for bulk buying meat (freeze most, obviously) to save money vs buying in supermarket thus eating a bit better.

My biggest problem with eating enough is I think I tend not to prioritise eating enough before work and then by the time I get home it's a losing battle for the day having had one meal at work, and then I'll have a big meal at night and probably wake up not feeling desperate for breakfast. When I got into a better sleep cycle and was getting up earlier at the start of the year I was finding it far easier to eat better throughout the day.

Oh, and if it's any consolation I can't even work out at all at the moment because I did too many things wrong and ignored body, and now need to rest my back completely and wait to see a physio.

Edit: How old are you btw? I've made steady increase in weight (with little difference in bodyfat... if anything I'm leaner atm than I have been in years) from about 22 onwards (I'm 26 now) as I think when I left 6th form I barely weighed 10 stone.

I turn 21 next month, and I'm UK yeah

I think sleeping is probably my biggest downfall, and when I'm stressed I forget to eat, and not sleeping properly stresses me out

I don't want to just load up on chocolate/shit ect in order to get bigger

and that injury sucks man, but if its a back problem then definitely rest that shit. I've seen back injuries wreck family/people's lives, its really not fun

Last edited by Bladez22 : 06-30-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Bladez22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:56 PM   #20468
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

Don't load up on junk. Make your normal meal (chicken, pasta veggies for example) but make another half on top of what you'd normally have.

People think they need a whole new diet to put on size. If your diet is good just eat more of it

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:00 AM   #20469
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8byf8bob
I'm 6'3" and pull sumo every 3 weeks or in meets and do all my accessory work with conventional. I can get a few more lbs out of sumo and its easier on my back. I dont do it every week or every lift because I have a fairly wide squat stance and its too much stress on the hips

It just depends on your proportions and strong and weak points.

My conv. and sumo DL max are pretty much the same weight though

I may try it since my back and neck have been messed up forever.

Related: I'm going to go get a massage tomorrow. I'm totally hobbled right now.
TheChaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM   #20470
lt mittens
milfhunter

first week in the gym since i had to stop a year ago, it feels great .

first weeks i will do full body workouts only, focussing on the compound lifts to get my body used again to the exercises.
any tricks to avoid to much soreness and DOMS?
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM   #20471
sk8byf8bob
sk8byf8bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt mittens
any tricks to avoid to much soreness and DOMS?

learn to love it

on a kind of related note, hit 385 on bench last night and was feeling froggy so I went for 405. Got 405 up but it was reaaaaal ugly and my ass came off the bench. Probably could have hit it fresh. numbers for my meet are looking like 605 squat, 405 bench, 650 DL.

offseason goal is a 700 DL
sk8byf8bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM   #20472
Dreadnought
World Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablast
By underhand BB bench, do you mean like a chin-up grip? If so, those are fantastic for the upper chest, although I can never manage with a barbell, so I use dumbbells of an ez curl bar.
What's your 800m time?? I haven't sprinted more than 400m as of late.

More or less yeah. With a barball, just angle your wrists a bit so that they're more neutral and not strict underhand.

My 800s aren't fast lol, about 2:30. I never ran track or anything.

Yesterday my workout was swimming a mile

Starlight High Tide

Hawaiian Skies (cover)
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:57 AM   #20473
matt bickerton
wants a better username

A couple of nooby noob questions here, apologises if they're stupid, but I'll appreciate all the help I can get! I currently do a 3 day split for my workout. I'm only able to find the time to work out regularly on my limited 30 minute lunch break at work using nothing but dumbbells and a mat. My evenings are often busy and my weekends are always busy, so I'd rather keep it limited and regular as opposed to well-rounded by inconsistent. But a good workman never blames his tools, right? Or, something like that...

On each day (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) I do a set of:

10 x pushups
10 x alternate bicep curls (so 20 altogether - 10 for each arm)
30 seconds planking
10 x side raises
10 x calf raise
10 x front upright row

I do all that, then round two more times, so I essentially do each exercise 3 times. My question is, am I better keeping it that way, or am I better doing each exercise 3 times back-to-back? i.e. 3 sets of pushups, then move on to 3 sets of bicep curls etc. until I finish? Or will it not make a difference either way?

Similarly, are there any glaringly obvious exercises I'm missing out that I should incorporate somehow if I can? Bearing in mind I have to do this at work, so I only have dumbbells and a mat. I don't even have a bench, nor do I have access to one. I've deliberately avoided doing crunches/sit-ups and squats as I've read in various places that with incorrect form you could end up doing more harm than good? I figure as a 'casual' weight trainer, I may be better off safe than sorry by leaving them out.

I do cardio in between days and I also play football (soccer) one evening a week. That joined with my very healthy diet (plenty of protein, limited fat, limited refined sugars etc.) I am in very good shape. I have no desire of becoming the hulk or anything, I just want to make sure I'm utilising my (limited) time as best I possibly can. I know this is cliche as **** and to be honest I don't really even care, but that 'Brad Pitt in Fight Club' type of physique is probably my ideal goal. Not necessarily particularly massive, just well defined and 'toned'. I hate that word too as I know it means nothing, but at the same time everyone knows what you mean when you say it.

I apologise again if I appear so nooby I'm not even worth your time, but I do appreciate all the help I can get!

Last edited by matt bickerton : Today at 06:01 AM.
matt bickerton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: