Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
woodsmen

need help

hey been trying to tech myself how to play but having trouble learning and memorizing cords and how to finger them any suggestions.
woodsmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Phase 1: Get a teacher.
Phase 2: ????
Phase 3: Profit!
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
kian89
UG Board King

You need to keep pushing yourself beyond limit and fill yourself with alot of data and in time you will remember some of it at least.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
bigfyt
guitar?

start out simple!

find a song with 3 chords in it that you like.

learn them say a song with G,C,E in it, pearl jams version of "last kiss"

the are chord library apps on phones and websites aswell, but generally on the tabs found on this website. it should say exactly were your fingers go.

when i was trying to learn m chords when i did the change in my head i would say C-strum-strum-strum-G-strum-strum-strum

may or may not help you remember.

after you have got these 3 chords down just look around for a song that has these chords and maybe and A, Am or D, a song like pink flloyds "wish you were here" is a fun beginner song if your rocking an acoustic.

if you try and learn every chord at once you will be overwhelmed and not as motivated to keep on going.

were you are at now is the hardest of all, just remember little steps to begin with and a teacher will definatly help you if you want to progress past beginner beginner/intermediate stage.

good luck daniel son
bigfyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
deltadaz

Write them out until you remember them..
Old 04-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
socrfb

How long have you been playing?

Repetition is the key to memorization. Also, don't overload your brain with information. Choose maybe 3 open chords to learn at a time and drill on those until you remember them, then learn 3 more (but make sure to always review previously learned chords). I'd also suggest using justinguitar.com if you're trying to teach yourself. Just start with his beginner's course and spend as long as you need to on each stage (I'd recommend at least a week, whether or not you need more will depend on you).
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Guitarra_acores

You will only progress if you are consistent in your practice. It's better to practice 30 mins everyday than 10 hours straight, once a week
Guitarra_acores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
woodsmen

ya ive been playing for a little while but have only lerned how to read tabs
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
woodsmen

ya i had a teacher at one time but he busted my whammy bar of my guitar and said it was my fault and that i needed to replace it in his shop no offer of help wit the cost so i quit going and been trying to teach myself ever since.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
ThisIsBS

All you have to do is find a song that you'd like to learn and chances are, you'll find the song simplified into (usually 4) chords. It's even more fun if you sing it at the same time (doesn't matter how you sound, just have fun with it!) Learn the chords you're playing (320033 is G) and you'll learn it in no time. If you aren't having fun, this could slow you down.

Like someone said above, repetition is key. That's what practice is all about right? Make sure not to get sloppy and try to practice "perfectly", or you'll build bad habits you'll regret later down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
well said

that galalayo nigga would have been all like

bitch ain't no way they'll ever have telescopes that can see pluto

but we have telescopes that can see pluto so **** that guy
ThisIsBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
omnilux

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsmen
ya i had a teacher at one time but he busted my whammy bar of my guitar and said it was my fault and that i needed to replace it in his shop no offer of help wit the cost so i quit going and been trying to teach myself ever since.

Think I'd have jammed that broken whammy bar up his ass...
omnilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
woodsmen

i was very tempted but i was afraid he'd sit on me.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsmen

I would say that if you have the time and money then you should look for another teacher; there is a level of help you can get from a proper teacher that you just can't get from the internet.

I will say as well though, that memorizing gets much easier as you go on; you acquire trick and methods that work for you. Aside from that I think about the only thing I can really say is that you should just keep at it. Learning guitar is a never-ending process and it can be very hard but it's also just about the most rewarding thing I have ever done. Keep at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
woodsmen

cool thanks for all the suggestions y'all.

Rate This Thread: