Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
mpatton

New amp for gigging band

Hi,

I just joined a band and need an amp to play shows out with.

Budget: Let's shoot for $400 US, though if something significantly better showed up for say $401 dollars I could stretch.

Genres/Bands: Lit, Foo Fighters, Staind, SOAD, RATM, Tool, Harvey Danger, Nirvana, Ten Years, Gotye, The Gorillaz. So I think I'd need decent cleans and moderate/high gain, but not really anything too br00tal.

New or Used- Definitely willing to go used.

Home or gig- Gigging (mic'd up) and practices with a drummer.

Closest City- Western mass as far as Craigslist goes, closest cities would be Springfield MA and I guess Hartford CT

Current Gear: Schecter Solo-6 limited (basically a hellraiser) with EMG 81 and 60
-Ibanez RG Prestige with Dimarzio Crunchlab/liquifier
-Digitech RP500 effects unit- multi-effects pedalboard that I figured I could use for any effects I needed and wah. It can do amp/cab modelling but I think a legitimate amp would be better than running the pedal straight into the PA.
-The other guitarist has a Marshall MA 100w half stack

I was thinking, since we are going to be micing everything up, that a used Peavey Triple X combo might be worth going for. They seem to be fairly cheap on guitar center's used site and from what I've read they're pretty versatile amps. However, I'm more than open to suggestions.

Thanks!
mpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
gpderek09
GainZilla

I had a Peavey XXX for a while. It is really aimed at doing the br00tal stuff. Exodus used them on the Shovel Headed Kill Machine album. IMO, listen to Raze off that album and that's what an XXX sounds like, at least mine always sounded about like that.

If you're really interested in versatility, you might check out the vox valvetronix stuff. I know it's a little old school, but I've tried most all of the processing stuff and withen the realms of affordability Vox are way ahead of the competition (IMO).

Now, really for the best tone possible you could try looking into a smaller tube amp. A brand new fender blues jr. can be had for about $400 last I checked. I have one and it's a fantastic little amp. You could also check out a used peavey classic 30. Those are recieved pretty well around here. I know they're small, but since you're miking it that shouldn't be a problem. I've gigged with my blues jr. plenty, miced or not, and never had any problems being heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
gpderek09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
gerraguitar

i think you'd be happy with a marshall, a jcm800 would be an ideal choice but there are others that would fit the bill too.
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
gerraguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Peavey Classic 30 would be my easy answer... But if I were you I'd try out some Egnators.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.

You could probably do well with a Peavey ValveKing. Sometimes VK halfstacks go used for $400.

I wouldn't recommend a XXX. Too gainy and bright. A JSX could work but I don't think that'll happen in your budget.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Deadpool_25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
You could probably do well with a Peavey ValveKing. Sometimes VK halfstacks go used for $400.

I wouldn't recommend a XXX. Too gainy and bright. A JSX could work but I don't think that'll happen in your budget.

This.

If you have another guy with a Marshall halfstack you might feel strange having a little mic'd up Blues Jr (though I'd take the Blues Jr over an MG halfstack anyday for tone). You could be fine going through the PA with the RP500 probably, but if you're going to look over and see that halfstack staring at you and you feel kinda naked, then that might not be a great option.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Deadpool_25

Also, FWIW, when I was stationed in the Keys, we used to go to Dirty Harry's and watch a band that played most of the stuff you listed: Lit, Foo Fighters, Staind, RATM, Tool, Nirvana. Also Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Korn, and more.

The guitarist used a Line 6 AX212 with a floorboard and I remember I thought it sounded awesome. You aren't going to have too many tone freaks at most gigs. Just sayin'.
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
TheMetalRiffer

I bought a Peavey Valveking half-stack off of Craigslist for $400. Works amazingly well. Totally loud and it screams man.
Definitely check it out
TheMetalRiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92

+1

If it weren't for you already having the MultiFX, I would recommend a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, but since you have that, it's probably best for you to try and get a valveking.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: