Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Recording Contests
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
MTAisthename

Cool *Ultimate Metal Solo Showdown* Contest + Prizes!

This is the contest where it all goes down! Where if you win, I pay the winner a 30$ prize or equal in prizes such as strings, picks etc! We will have judges which must have interest in different bands across Metal. If I "happen" to win, I choose two people to go against each other to win the prize(s)!

I want this to be a fun and learning experience for the people who have looked into, or have written melodic solos, share tips and give help on writing! All you have to do is write a short solo ranging from 30 secs to 2 minutes. I have recorded an EXAMPLE which I have also copyrighted so I don't risk losing my band's future stuff. *Before you post your ORIGINAL writings, and don't want to risk losing it to someone, I suggest you copyright it accordingly. And if you can't do that, then just use myfreecopyright. Protect your valuable melodies!

HOW IT WILL GO DOWN!

What you will need to enter:

*Guitar and recording software i.e: Sonar, audacity, fruity loops or whatever you can record guitar with!

*A YouTube channel to upload your audio. If you can't upload videos then you'll simply send me the audio file to be included in the video that showcases all the solo's that were entered at a later date.

*Simple creativity. You need to be able to catch the listeners attention. Note your recording doesn't have to be PROFESSIONALLY mixed. As long as we can tell what you are playing.

HOW TO ENTER!

1. You can enter the contest by PM on here, or by the YouTube channel where the contest will take place which is: http://www.youtube.com/user/MTAisthename?feature=mhee

2. Send your YouTube username to me by PM on here or YouTube, or simply add me as a friend so I can see your username and I will post entries here on this thread

3. Determine your top three favorite metal bands which are your Inspiration to write your solo. If it's just one, then that's fine

4. Give a name to your solo, I.e. Doomsday, Silent surprise ETC!

5. Record the actual solo, send me the audio file with name of solo. All that is required is the lead solo part, and recorded under it the backing rhythm guitar. NO drums or bass is required because I know a lot of people here have no experience in doing that, including myself so that makes room for more contestants!

Like I said, this is for fun and you don't need to be a pro. Creativity alone and a little work will get you the prizes

I will show you an EXAMPLE video of what it should look like

This isn't the solo I will be using for my entry, but it gives you a taste of the stuff I like to come up with AND, how your video should be like in similarity. Again, your recording software does not have to be the best! Watch this video before reading on

Judges

OK we will need THREE judges to determine the winner. They must be a member here at UG and have an interest in the bands we are all influenced by. I'm pretty sure and hope most of the guys entering the solo contest will be into: Parkway drive, A day to remember, All that remains, Metallica, Trivium, The devil wears prada, As I lay dying, bullet for my valentine, I killed the prom queen. etc etc that region

Judges must have general interest in the bands influencing the contestants so that they may interpret how to rate the solo. Your solo will and must be rated on a scale from 1-100. 1 being horrible, 100 being OMG insanely awesome. Total three scores from the judges will be added up and soloist with the highest score, wins.

So if your are interested in being the judge you will be properly credited and given the opportunity to get fans and subscribers depending on how far this contest can go. To be a judge just PM me here or on the YouTube channel letting me know you'd like to rate the guitar solos. HAVE A STRONG LOVE FOR MUSIC TO JUDGE!

Ahh the best part.. PRIZES!

So yeah this isn't just an average contest to win respect, you win respect plus some cool stuff. You can either win 30$ to buy whatever you'd like, or win the below items:

1. Guitar capo to sweep without the noise
2. 9 gauge Daddario strings keep your guitar fast and fresh
3. Pick of destiny picks Become a guitar god instantly

May not be the best stuff but hey, it's free for you to win! Or just take the cash. Maybe I'll give out a guitar in the future but that will be a much more organized session

SO LET'S GET THOSE JUDGES PLEASE! START ENTERING & WRITING THOSE SOLO'S PEOPLE!!

If I missed anything just tell me. Please leave feedback and tell me what you think
-Saul

Contest entries!

1. rubenk1994

Last edited by MTAisthename : 11-30-2011 at 05:43 PM.
MTAisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
ruby4ever

i will take part in here sounds like a nice idea i'm interested the result of this
ruby4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
piszczel

I think I'll take part in this as well...
I'll get round to recording something soon
Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
MTAisthename

Thanks for interest guys. Hope we get much more to enter this contest and pit soloers against each other

Deadline and the day we showcase entries solos all at once: Dec30th
MTAisthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Sounds very promising, I pmed you earlier, check them if you can, as it's rather important I understand more before entering ^__^
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
EFooteSCH

Sounds pretty awesome, I'll definately get something ready for this! add me as a friend on youtube so i can share it as soon as its up.
http://www.youtube.com/user/EFooteSCH
EFooteSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
MetalheadA7X
Funeral Thirst

Count me in. I fancy a go at this.

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
MetalheadA7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #8
guitar ben94
plays guitar.

Sign me up! This sounds like an awesome idea :-)

guitar ben94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
WalkinDude91

Sign me up as well!
WalkinDude91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
jordanzio
UG Newbie

is this still on? sign me up if so. i have a pretty good one i just finished up.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
jordanzio
UG Newbie

by the way EFooteSCH ive seen your channel before! you have a rad teacher my friend! i had the honour of opening up for threat signal this past summer. one of my fav bands!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
jordanzio
UG Newbie

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/...all/play1083376

here is my entry. just skip to 3:15 in "metal demo 2"
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
viola0shredder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iiT...4b9AUAAAAAAAAAA
start @ 1:30 for my tappy slidy solo, 2:08 for my classic solo and 2:45 for my 3rd solo.
or just watch the whole thing because it is awesome. i dont feel like uploading annother video to avoid having 100 different versions of one song (my soundcloud account shouts from the corner in a high gay vocie, GUILTYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!) so yeah, check that stuff out.

and as you may be able to tell from my covers, im into parkway drive, but also petrucci and marco sfogli

Last edited by viola0shredder : 02-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.
viola0shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
alberker
Banned

Tower of London Building
http://nowtweet.it/zdp
alberker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Hachiushima
Banned

I want to join also can you make me a member ...
Hachiushima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
Calymos

Is this still going on?

Guitar journal! Watch me go from suck to awesome in an undetermined amount of time!
Calymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
FrazerB6

No idea if this has been closed but i have nothing to lose by entering...

Barely call it a 'metal' solo but its aggressive and has speed so, whatever.
I didnt record it specifically for this, its a video i recorded at my friends house of me improvising in a rock lead guitar context.

As i said, whatever
FrazerB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
carmest609

I must participate in the contest. But before participating I wanna train myself properly that I can win the contest. I have already started practicing Metal solo. please pray for my progress.
carmest609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #19
wrzkace13

Thumbs up

Might be I and dum question but I have a solo idid and am proud of so wanted to ask it as a backing track.
wrzkace13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #20
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

is this contest even still open? its been a long time...

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: