Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
dencktank

Song suggestions?

I need some help finding good "beginner" songs to play to build my repertoire. (Not songs like Mary had a little lamb). Any suggestions? (I have experience- I just need practice and practice!)
dencktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

What styles do you like to listen to? So that you don't get a whole list of metal songs if you're more into folk music. Or the opposite...
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
bobcrackchuc

It would be nice to get what genre you like. But just some overall easy songs (The first things I learned)

Black Sabbath- Iron Man
Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit
Green Day- Wake Me Up When September Ends

Really just anything Nirvana or Green day. Punk is generally an easy genre to play, lots of power chords.
bobcrackchuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
dencktank

Talking

I like more folk, classic rock, and some country and contemporary.
dencktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
RancidRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcrackchuc
It would be nice to get what genre you like. But just some overall easy songs (The first things I learned)

Black Sabbath- Iron Man
Nirvana- Smells Like Teen Spirit
Green Day- Wake Me Up When September Ends

Really just anything Nirvana or Green day. Punk is generally an easy genre to play, lots of power chords.

Punk is the best genre for a beginner, if you're into classic rock you could look at some def leppard or I hate to say it *shudders* Bon Jovi
RancidRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
ArtistLion

Isn't Smells like Teen Spirit too fast? I'm talking about those difficult fast switches between racks and clean chords.
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

The best genre to start with are the easiest songs within the genre you like. That is, unless you want to play tech-death or something
Old 05-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
battlespud

The best beginner songs are songs you want to learn how to play. It doesn't matter how easy a song is if you don't have any interest in it. When I was a beginner i started out with songs like
an easier arrangement of Canon Rock (try doing the intro to the Jerry C version [powerchords with a couple single notes after them ] into the Transsiberian Orchestra version, which only has a tapping solo that will help you learn alot faster.)
Knights of Cydonia by Muse for tremolo picking
Reptar King of the Ozone by The Devil Wears Prada if you're into that sort of thing

Santeria by Sublime would be my personal favorite, if you like ska, easy chords and a really chill solo. Also, it lets you play with the strumming pattern a lot since its a fairly slow song and easy to solo over. Ton of fun to play at parties too since everyone knows it.

Shoujo S by Scandal for Jrock

Pasadena Fwy from K-On! sounds really cool, again a really easy tapping part after a bit. The solo will probably be way too difficult though. Here's a good example that someone on UG posted awhile ago in the covers forum I can send you sheet/tab for all the parts if you'd like. This is also the closest thing to a classic rock sound that I've suggested and it has a very cool southwestern sound (as it should judging from the name)

Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits isnt too bad once you get the chord shapes down.
Schecter Blackjack w/ 59',JB + Tempest Custom
Martin D1 (Made in Nazareth)
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
Blackstar HT-5
Fender Super Champ XD

Last edited by battlespud : 05-19-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: for some reason i wrote USG instead of UG, stupid student government
battlespud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
Surf1975

I've been playing a little over a year now. What's worked best for me is learning songs with Guitar Pro 6. It allows you to slow down the song and learn to play it correctly before playing it full speed. Once I can play a song full speed, I mute the guitar track in the song and play along with the drums and the bass. Once I can do that comfortably, I play along with the real song in ITunes. I created a playlist in ITunes with the songs I can play, and my goal is to get it up to 100 songs. Right now the playlist consists of:
Seek and Destroy-Metallica
Teenagers from Mars-The Misfits
Children in Heat-The Misfits
Too Drunk to F&@K-Dead Kennedys
Iron Man-Black Sabbath
Paranoid-Black Sabbath
Nervous Breakdown-Black Flag
Fix Me-Black Flag
Fight for your right to party-Beastie Boys
AC/DC-Back in Black

These are all beginner songs, but playing them to the actual song has helped me immensely not to mention is really fun. The Guitar Pro method might not work for you but it really helped me.
Surf1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf1975
These are all beginner songs, but playing them to the actual song has helped me immensely not to mention is really fun. The Guitar Pro method might not work for you but it really helped me.

I wouldn't recommend relying on playing along too much in terms of practice. Better just use a metronome and set it to the desired speed, makes it harder to hide your mistakes. Or (though less effective) you could play along with drum-bass-vocal tracks, which in my opinion is a lot more fun than playing along to the full song. But yeah, metronome .

Rate This Thread: