User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #41
Doogy-Style
Guitar Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Yes, fair enough, got copyright and trademark the wrong way around. Shoot me.

Just to make it clear, I didn't mean to be annoying or anything, I just got out from a 4hours exam on US copyright law, so I couldn't help asking .
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Walden CG 570 White Horse
Doogy-Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #42
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Well it's recognised to be on the Autistic Spectrum by pretty much every western neurological and psychiatric body going. It is regarded as a ASD by most health care organisations and some are only just slowly moving away from it while others are not.

Besides, it's not a negative thing. Unless for some reason you find it to be. There's a lot of evidence to suggest it IS a ASD, with less to suggest its not. But the research for the 'not' isn't that old. Still, it's still regarded by lots of people to be ASD, so it's a matter of opinion right now.

http://www.autism.org.uk/about-auti...r-syndrome.aspx

I'm aware that some people view Aspergers as a variation of normal as opposed to an ASD but it's an opinion, and they both have evidence based research to back them up.

If someone with Aspergers wants to refer to a condition that might have dominated their life in largely a negative way in an informal way, then that's up to them. I'm not aware of any negative connotations of the term he used. It's not a term I'm aware of and I'm very much aware of ASDs and Aspergers. If there is something I should know about the term I'm interested to know.

Perhaps this discussion is suited to another sub forum, but I couldn't resist. It's kinda linked indirectly to my job and directly to my personal life.

It's actually going to be taken off the Autism Spectrum (at least in America) pretty soon from what I hear.

What really annoys me is when someone's just stupid/stubborn/annoying/hard to get along with/etc... and say that they have Aspergers to make up for it. Like, when they self-diagnose it. (to TS, I'm not implying that's what you're doing)

Upright fretted electric bass build!
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 AM   #43
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
I don't know of Lawsuit threats but for example there's ESP, I believe Jackson used the Explorer and Flying V shapes. So did Ibanez.

so there's a gibson vs ESP, a gibson vs Jackson and a gibson vs Ibanez?

is that what you are saying?

please specify these lawsuits you are speaking about.

thanks!

if i've ever aspired for anything...
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #44
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
It's actually going to be taken off the Autism Spectrum (at least in America) pretty soon from what I hear.

What really annoys me is when someone's just stupid/stubborn/annoying/hard to get along with/etc... and say that they have Aspergers to make up for it. Like, when they self-diagnose it. (to TS, I'm not implying that's what you're doing)

Oh yea, absolutely. And since the mid 90s it has been regarded as possibly as not related to Autism as it once was by the American Psychiatric Association. It's a shame that because of similar symptoms people are grouped together, it's discriminatory at the least.

And I totally agree with your last statement. I have ADHD, and while I'm a 28 year old man it took me a long time to conquer it and it was quite hard for me as a teenage and only through a lot of hard work did I force myself through school and university. It's certainly one of the big battles of my life.

Recently I've heard people say stuff like 'oh, I'm a bit ADD/ADHD' And things to that extent. A bit? You either are or you aren't and it's not an excuse for you not concentrating.

Like when people say 'I'm a bit dyslexic' for them just having a stupid moment.

It's not something I would shout at someone for, but it's annoying because those kind of comments reinforce negative stereotypes and misrepresent a condition to people and just fortify ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #45
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

On the Autistic spectrum =/= form of Autism. It's a very distinct and clear definition. And yes, in America it's being distanced and in the EU, Britain especially, it's been distanced for a long time.

Again, not going to go into it here in great detail and now. Just accept that you do not use the term 'Aspie'. I say this as someone who's life as been engrossed in the subject for the last decade. You just don't say it, it's just like saying 'downie'; it's not done by anybody with any social graces.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #46
BasementCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Companies have to chase up any copyright infringement. If they don't, even a single case, they lose the rights to that subject.

You're thinking of trademarks. Copyrights and patents each have their own rules, which are rather different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
BasementCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #47
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Yea we know that now. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: