Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
DeeJay1500

BC Rich (meh)

I got a NJ BC Rich Beast way back (like 4 years ago or something like that) because im an idiot and thought it looked cool as hell. Not paying any attention to the fact it is the most uncomfortable guitar to play that I own. Anyone think about what it would be like to chop the top horn thing off of it. It pokes me in the chest and I hate it

I was thinking of chopping it so that corner kinda resembles the explorer shape, sand the bevel edge so it matches then repaint the guitar. That horn is the only major gripe i got on the guitar. Other than that its just the usual stuff thats more of a preference thing for me. I like Blackouts instead of the passive BDSM pickups, the floyd is crap, blah blah blah lol. Just wanted opinions on it. Lemme know what ya think!!!
DeeJay1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
BreeBreeMiikey

That might look horrible. Sand the part against your body smooth androunded . Will still look the same from the front...
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
BreeBreeMiikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
NotTheMessiah30
UG Fanatic

I know how you feel on the bc rich side of things, I used to have an iron bird and it was the most uncomfortable guitar I ever had!
NotTheMessiah30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

chop the top and bottom horns off and turn it into a weird V
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone

Sell it down the road, let the next sucker take on the "Cool Guitar" and use the money to buy or build something that you actually like playing.
seabear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
DeeJay1500

Tried selling it, unfortunately where I am there is almost no market for this guitar. Kinda sucks. Sanding the back of it might work. Thought about cutting them both off too and doing some weird V thing at one point. IDK, im gonna snag a pic of it and tinker with the image and chop parts off of it and see what I can feel good about.
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (w/ 81/85)
Epiphone Custom Korina Flying V 7 String
Ibanez S520EX (w/ AHB-1 Blackouts)
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #7
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar

well as i'm a fan of BC Rich (not so much the beast, though) and the template guy a few years back, thought i'd see what it might look like,

first is a standard beast, second is if you cut the horn in a strait line, third is my own idea just to give it a little shaping, it's within the body shape so it's doable, just need to match up the bevels etc

though the only potential problem i could see here is if the guitar is chambered for weight relief but i kinda doubt it

just my 2c anyway

(if you want the (vector) template to follow i can upload it too)

You deserved this, Matt.

Last edited by metal-matt : 01-04-2013 at 10:15 AM.
metal-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Bottle of Dirt
She called me...Horsey

I've got to be one of the few people in the wold that actually enjoys playing the Beast body style standing up... Then again, I also like the Virgo aside from the neck dive.
It's going to look weird but you could make it look good with a bit of imagination.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
DeeJay1500

Wow those templates look friggen sweet, i like the 3rd with the shaping. I just really dont like how HUGE the guitar feels and the poking lol. That and I really want to take a hack saw to something LOL!

Im thinking about doing something real close to that 3rd template, match the bevels and repaint it. Then it will get some new hardware and whatnot, maybe some new pickups. idk

Im gonna brainstorm and come up with something!
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (w/ 81/85)
Epiphone Custom Korina Flying V 7 String
Ibanez S520EX (w/ AHB-1 Blackouts)
Jackson DXMG Dinky
Old 01-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #10
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle of Dirt
I've got to be one of the few people in the wold that actually enjoys playing the Beast body style standing up... Then again, I also like the Virgo aside from the neck dive.
It's going to look weird but you could make it look good with a bit of imagination.

I find them to be actually more comfortable actually, but I play in a classical position, so I like having that slot in the middle to stick my thigh into. For TS I would recommend doing like in template 3 posted above, I would do a rough cut, then a coarse sanding with a belt sander, then I finer sanding for a bit of final shaping, then a finer sanding just to make sure there aren't any huge gauges in the wood. Then I'd sand the rest of it down so that the layers would be even and stick.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #11
metal-matt
see's whut u did thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
I find them to be actually more comfortable actually, but I play in a classical position, so I like having that slot in the middle to stick my thigh into. For TS I would recommend doing like in template 3 posted above, I would do a rough cut, then a coarse sanding with a belt sander, then I finer sanding for a bit of final shaping, then a finer sanding just to make sure there aren't any huge gauges in the wood. Then I'd sand the rest of it down so that the layers would be even and stick.

though i'm yet to play a beast, i do love my warlock for how comfortable it (mostly) is,
most people go " it must be uncomfortable because its all pointy!"
but i just prefer how it feels over a strat and all that, that lower horn is really good for sitting in a classical position

only problem i have with it is much like DeeJay, the upper horn can dig into you, if i were to redesign it i'd probably just bevel the horn on the back, maybe move that strap pin too

and thanks DeeJay, i think it's an interesting project, and i'd reccommend GFS pickups if you want to swap out your pickups for not a whole lot of cash got some power rails in an LTD, sounds great, and a X2NPP in my warlock, power rails being basicly a copy of the X2N by dimarzio

You deserved this, Matt.
metal-matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: