Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
82DMC12

RGD321 - help me pick strings!

Hi all,

I bought a used RGD321 from Guitar Center a few months ago. They did a 'set up' on it which I ended up redoing because the intonation was terrible. Lately I've been pretty disappointed with the strings they put on. The 6th string has very little punch or sustain, like the string is lifeless. That made me start listening to the rest of the strings and they aren't much better. They don't seem old but who knows.

I THINK they are 12's with a wound 3rd string. Not sure what brand but the ball ends for each string are a different color.

I'm not a big fan of wound 3rd's so I hope someone can help me pick a new set of strings considering the longer scale neck and that I want to tune to drop A#.

What strings should I go with to get a great metal sound out of this guitar? I have 3 other electrics including one Ibanez RG560 so I do know what I am talking about (for the most part LOL)!!

Thanks,
Andy
82DMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
stonyman65
Unregistered User

If they have different colored ball ends that usually means they are D'addario brand.

For what you are suggesting, I would look at something like the Dunlop HeavyCore strings. They are made specifically for drop tuning and extended scale lengths like the RGD has.

The gauge is up to you. I would stick to 10s, or maybe 11s, but 12s might be a little too much.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/he...-guitar-strings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Drop A#? I tune to Bb standard with my RGD 7 and use a 62 gauge string for my bottom string, and it's still a little slack. Gonna upgrade it to 64. For the rest I just use a D'addario 11-49 set, and those are too tight...
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
82DMC12

Thanks guys, it's really weird. The strings just sound dead and lifeless. On my 6505+ clean channel, if I fret at the 8th fret on the 6th string you hear the attack, then it fades very quickly and there are no more overtones. Open the string sounds like what you would expect. In fact all the strings sound dead. They aren't dirty or have any crap on the undersides like I know old strings get.

Actually check this out - https://soundcloud.com/lienan82/bad-strings

I just recorded that. First few seconds is the 6th string around fret 6 and 8 (lead channel with gain at 5... should have way more sustain than that. Again I have 12's on so they aren't flopping around. Pickup is pretty close to the strings.

Next half is 2nd and 3rd strings between frets 11 and 14. Hear that weird tremolo-like wobble? What is causing that?? None of my other guitars are like that.

Andy
Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
stonyman65
Unregistered User

That sounds like either the action is WAY too low and you are fretting out, or the pickups are too high and the magnets are killing the vibration of the strings.

I think whoever set up your guitar didn't know what the fuck they were doing.

Quote:
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
82DMC12

I would believe it. I raised the action very slightly on the 6th string and it's a little bit better. It wasn't fretting out, I know what that's like. I also lowered the pickup a bit but no change. Think I will re-string tomorrow.

Andy
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82DMC12
I would believe it. I raised the action very slightly on the 6th string and it's a little bit better. It wasn't fretting out, I know what that's like. I also lowered the pickup a bit but no change. Think I will re-string tomorrow.

Andy

What measurements are you getting for the action and neck relief?

Should be about 3/64ths on the 17th fret with .008 of neck relief around the 8th fret (while holding down the 1st and 17 fret)

Quote:
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma

Tbh if the strings are a few months old its time for a replacement anyway, I usually change my strings every 3-4 weeks. It always shocks me how much better everything sounds with new strings. Every single time.

I also support the notion that whoever did your set up was an asshat.
N1ghtmar3C1n3ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
82DMC12

The next was about 1/6 of a turn too tight so I have that set now. Action is about as low as it will go without buzzing. I don't have a feeler set that goes as high as 3/64's but it's greater than .030 (thickest I have).

Getting a little better but will definitely change strings.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82DMC12
The next was about 1/6 of a turn too tight so I have that set now. Action is about as low as it will go without buzzing. I don't have a feeler set that goes as high as 3/64's but it's greater than .030 (thickest I have).

Getting a little better but will definitely change strings.

You don't use feeler gauges to measure the action, you use a ruler graduated in 64ths or 32nds.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/S...36&tab=Pictures

Also, make sure there aren't any high frets either. You can tell if they are high by using a "fret rocker" which is just a small flat piece of plastic or metal about 2 inches long that you can use to rock on the frets. if it moves, the fret you are on is high, if it is solid, it's fine.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/S...&xst=3&xsr=1857

Quote:

Last edited by stonyman65 : 03-21-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Rate This Thread: