Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #1441
sharpshootr55
LET'S GO PENS

So for a beginning whiskey drinker where do I begin?

I've shot JD, Jameson and Red Breast before but I'm interested in learning to drink it properly. Truthfully I don't know much about it so I have no idea how to get started. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #1442
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Start with something mild, Maker's Mark (Bourbon) or Glenmorangie 12 (Scotch), pour 2 fingers into an appropriate glass, add a small amount of spring (NOT tap) water and taste. If it's too strong on your taste buds, dilute with water to taste. While 'neat' (no water) is a popular way to drink whisky, the reality is that most of it is strong enough to numb your taste buds after only one of two sips, so what's the point?

"On the rocks" is fine IF the ice isn't made from tap (chlorinated) water and you don't go overboard and dilute the whicky too much as the ice melts. Any chlorinated water destroys the taste of whisky.

Experiment until you find what you like.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #1443
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartdevil_metal

I'm really into world whiskies, but I haven't had a chance to sample the Indian stuff yet. What's the tasting note on it?

If I had to pick one word, it's balance. The malt shines, a mild peat is present, all while a hint of vanilla and caramel fill out the palate. It's been a while since I've tried it so I'm going off memory here. No one thing overpowers another, in that regard it's very similar to the Highland Park 12, which is why I brought it up.

Jim Murray rated it the 3rd best whisky in the world one year. That was pretty cool too haha

The Spirit shall look out through Matter's gaze
And Matter shall reveal the Spirit's face.
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #1444
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
yeah my last scotch bottle was Springbank 12 and that was so boring. not a comment on the quality of it, which was great, I'm just accepting that I'll only ever be happy with Islay.

Might still get the Bruichladdich as well but knowing me I wouldn't even open it until I finish the Lagavulin and at that time I'd probably be doing another spending wave anyway.

I'm looking to review some more bourbons on my blog, would you recommend Four Roses? As far as bourbons go, my taste is pretty much in the gutter - my favourite brand is Bulleit, which is pretty entry level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshootr55
So for a beginning whiskey drinker where do I begin?

I've shot JD, Jameson and Red Breast before but I'm interested in learning to drink it properly. Truthfully I don't know much about it so I have no idea how to get started. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

www.whiskyandwhiskey.wordpress.com

(Sorry, shameless plug I know, but check out the "how to drink", "about", and "terminology" sections on my blog)

First, decide if you want to get into Scotch or Bourbon (or irish whiskey). For scotch, I'd recommend starting with some Speyside whiskies and moving about from there - maybe go to pubs and try them in there so you don't have to buy whole bottles of something you may not necessarily like.

For bourbons and Irish Whiskies, same thing really. There are some really nice boutique bourbons like Wild Turkey or Elijah Craig which should set you on the path. As far as Irish Whiskeys go, I've only ever dipped a toe into that world, but I've heard good things about Green Spot and I like the Bushmills 16.

Sláinte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne
If I had to pick one word, it's balance. The malt shines, a mild peat is present, all while a hint of vanilla and caramel fill out the palate. It's been a while since I've tried it so I'm going off memory here. No one thing overpowers another, in that regard it's very similar to the Highland Park 12, which is why I brought it up.

Jim Murray rated it the 3rd best whisky in the world one year. That was pretty cool too haha

Sounds interesting, from your description it sounds like it errs towards the classic bourbon taste only with peat. The problem with most of these more fringe products are that you don't usually get them in pubs, so I'd have to spring for a bottle. I have my eye on this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009R1NX...=I3BG8CLA4TMKE1

Last edited by bartdevil_metal : 05-14-2014 at 02:54 PM.
bartdevil_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #1445
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

tbh I'm still new to bourbons

bulleit, even though cheap, is quite decent. I've only tried four roses in a sample against elijah craig where the four roses won out for me, craig didn't have enough of that sweetness I like. I'd recommend it so far as it's a reasonably priced single barrel so looks like a nice introduction to single barrel bourbons.

for review purposes yeah try it. eagle rare seems an interesting one to look at too in that price range too, was flipping coin between eagle rare, craig and four roses. I spent quite a while reading on whiskyexchange and masterofmalt for reviews for all three. and got lucky to find a bar serving craig and roses to make my mind up.

only other 'real' bourbon i've tried is woodford reserve which is okay but nothing remarkable, too much like a scotch in flavour too (would make for a good starter bourbon for scotch drinkers maybe)

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #1446
Dregen
damien wren

at my older brother's wedding a couple years ago i had some really aged Jack Daniels. the bottle was small as hell but he told me it was probably worth about a grand. not to mention he had it saved for six years waiting for a special occasion to open it up. i wish i could remember what it was exactly so i could google it and see.

i've never been a whiskey person (vodka's more my thing) but it was straight-up the best liquor i've had.

lucky no. 4
Dregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM   #1447
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
tbh I'm still new to bourbons

bulleit, even though cheap, is quite decent. I've only tried four roses in a sample against elijah craig where the four roses won out for me, craig didn't have enough of that sweetness I like. I'd recommend it so far as it's a reasonably priced single barrel so looks like a nice introduction to single barrel bourbons.

for review purposes yeah try it. eagle rare seems an interesting one to look at too in that price range too, was flipping coin between eagle rare, craig and four roses. I spent quite a while reading on whiskyexchange and masterofmalt for reviews for all three. and got lucky to find a bar serving craig and roses to make my mind up.

only other 'real' bourbon i've tried is woodford reserve which is okay but nothing remarkable, too much like a scotch in flavour too (would make for a good starter bourbon for scotch drinkers maybe)

Interesting, Elijah Craig and Eagle Rare were both on my list to try, but maybe I will jump to Four Roses. The bottle certainly looks nice. (judging book by its cover, blahblahblah)
Old 05-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #1448
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

I don't know if any of you have had 'cask strength' bourbons but my god they're amazing. There's one, Baker's I think it's called? (might be Bookers), it's ~125 proof. This stuff literally melts in your mouth and warms you up with delicious buttery/vanilla notes. Awesome, and highly rec'd

Old 05-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #1449
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

I'm drinking some Aberlour 10 right now.

I got a bottle of Ardbeg 10 the other week. It's been an age since I've had any, even though it's one of my favourites. Found a good offer in the supermarket so I'm pretty happy with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3powil
I wanted an Islay scotch because I wanted to learn what pete and smoke tasted like and I was given the impression that Laphroaig was the most bold in that respect. If Ardberg was a bit cheaper I might have given it a try.

I was also under the impression that Lagavulin had declined in quality recently.

I'd heard that about Lagavulin too, and it's still easily my favourite whisky. If the new batches are 'bad' then the old ones must have been truly amazing.

Anyway, when it comes to Islay to my mind, Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg are the 'Big 3', and they've all got distinct characters. There's a bit of a spectrum of peat. At the one end you've got the pungent, medicinal, iodine sort of flavours. At the other end you've got the intense woodsmoke sort of flavours.

Laphroaig is firmly entrenched in the pungent medicinal sort of area, while Ardbeg (from what I remember at least - haven't opened my new bottle yet) is on the smoky side. Aside from the differences in peat flavour, they're both fairly dry (as much as that word can be applied to an Islay). Lagavulin probably sits halfway between pungent and smoky and it has a very intense, rich character.

I love that about them. They're all unmistakably Islay, but they're different enough to keep things interesting.
Confuse-a-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #1450
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

You should try Bruichladdich Laddie 10.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #1451
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

Quote:
You should try Bruichladdich Laddie 10.

Ah Bruichladdich... another one I've not had in ages! At least, I think I've had some before, back in my favourite uni bar. They had so many whiskies in there and it was a few years ago now that I can't quite remember which ones they had. Naturally, I worked my way along the shelf.

Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat : 05-14-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #1452
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

I'm curious, are you a Talisker fan?
Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #1453
c3powil
on a coconut estate

Yea, one day when I've got oodles of cash i'll have to try that Lagavulin you all keep raving about.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #1454
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

Quote:
I'm curious, are you a Talisker fan?

Yep. I've got a bottle of the Storm open at the moment. Nearly empty though.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #1455
c3powil
on a coconut estate

Okay guys, I'm nearing the end of my (short lived) bottle of Laphroaig. It was nice, especially after the first few glasses, it became markedly sweeter and less sausage tasting.

Now I need your help!

Recommend me a bottle of something I will enjoy. Here are my terms:

1. 30 dollars or under (750 ml)
2. Single malt scotch
3. Balanced, floral or malty, doesn't matter.

So far I have in mind Speyburn 10 and Glenmorangie. Shieldaig 12yr?

Last edited by c3powil : 05-24-2014 at 11:56 AM.
c3powil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #1456
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

If you want peaty, get Finlaggan Old reserve ($19 at Trader Joes). Imagine if Laphraoig put out a 7 year, that's kind of what it tastes like. Some people love it, some people hate it.

Glenmorangie definitely fits the 'balanced' description. At the price level you're looking at, you'll probably find any number of mild-tasting Speysiders.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:47 PM   #1457
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

Got myself a bottle of Balvenie Signature today.

I keep buying this stuff faster than I drink it...

From left:
(Cognac Invader) Rémy Martin VSOP
Talisker Storm
Jura 16 Diurach's Own
Highland Park 12
Balvenie 12 DoubleWood
Balvenie 12 Signature
Laphroaig 10
Ardbeg 10
Caol Ila 12
Dalwhinnie 15
Clynelish 14
Glenmorangie 15 Nectar d'Or
Glenmorangie 12 Quinta Ruban
Glenmorangie 12 Lasanta
Glenmorangie 10 Original
Glenfiddich 14 Rich Oak

Recently finished another bottle of Talisker Storm, an Old Pulteney 12 and an Aberlour 10.

Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat : 06-13-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:33 PM   #1458
CodChick
UG's Cute Canadian :3

Location: Under your bed... waiting for you to fall asleep. >_>
Black Velvet treats me damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjosh
bunnies are cute, but they're little bastards
CodChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #1459
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

Recent buys:

guy at the store also chucked in a free Glengoyne 15 mini too for some reason, didn't ask why just gave him a nod and a 'ta'

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #1460
bartdevil_metal
Uses Jackson and Line6.

^You have excellent taste. Four Roses is one of my favourite bourbons, and Lagavulin...best Islay available in my opinion.

Rate This Thread: