Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMetal99
This is not a case of copyright infringement, unless the uploader went and looked in a published, certified book or other document and copied that in directly. The fact of the matter is, these tabs are what people ~think~ the music is - yes, on many songs they may be correct. However, the ability to figure out music is not an offence, and besides that they may have inaccuracies.

Intent intent intent. When someone uploads a GP tab, they are actively trying to reproduce and distribute the music. Not the actual audio itself, maybe, but the music, which is also copyrighted.

Remember, copyright doesn't just cover a recording; it covers the notes and words themselves, and getting a few notes wrong here and there doesn't change jack shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticMetal99
IT IS NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE. That is the important bit

What, no. Whether or not it's for commercial use has nothing to do with it, for starters. Your examples of BotB/tribute bands? Guess what? They pay royalties. Them, or the places they perform at. If they don't, what they're doing is legally questionable, at least. And second, Ultimate Guitar is commercial use. They make money off ad revenue, and services such as Tab Pro, by using tabs.

Attribution is important, sure. But you shouldn't expect a medal for tagging your tab with the right song/artist. That's the bare minimum. That's expected of you. In the same way that uploading a whole album to YouTube and saying "<label> OWNS THIS MUSIC, NOT ME, NO COPYRIGHT INTENDED" doesn't make it legal, crediting the band doesn't mean their label has to give you distribution rights.

Guitarists seem to have a naively optimistic view of copyright law. I've written and uploaded several full-band Guitar Pro tabs, close to 100% accurate, but only after accepting that in order to help other people learn them, I have to give the labels and copyright holders involved the right to pull the plug on all of it, in the unlikely case that they want to. (Or the band, but it's usually the label. Bands are thrilled to have people tab their music out for them.) It's a small price to pay for helping people teach themselves to become better musicians, which, in turn, is how I learned.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 07-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
Metal G

This sucks bad. No Slayer, Testament, Carcass.....eventually no need to come to this site anymore.
Metal G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #23
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal G
No Slayer, Testament, Carcass.....eventually no need to come to this site anymore.

Are you in a country with even stricter copyright laws than the US, or are you just exaggerating the hell out of that? The only Carcass song missing is "Heartwork", which is a good thing because I just tabbed their new song. I wouldn't call that "no Carcass".
Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #24
Metal G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalcade
Are you in a country with even stricter copyright laws than the US, or are you just exaggerating the hell out of that? The only Carcass song missing is "Heartwork", which is a good thing because I just tabbed their new song. I wouldn't call that "no Carcass".

Yes, that is exaggerated. But, I find tabs that have been removed just as often if not more than working ones.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
EqualOfHeaven
The Great Sage

Quote:
Now, let me drop some hot, steaming copyright law on y'all suckas.

Exactly. Btw guys, not an opinion, it's irrevocable fact.

There's still a lot of tabs still up on this site anyway, I don't consider it a big deal personally. Although I mostly learn by ear and use tabs as a second opinion to point me in the right direction, if they don't have a certain song I just figure 'whatever they probably got it wrong anyway.'

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
EqualOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #26
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal G
Yes, that is exaggerated. But, I find tabs that have been removed just as often if not more than working ones.

That's also a lie. Look, there aren't that many missing tabs, unless you're specifically looking for them. You're blowing the problem out of proportion. Deal with it.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:
That's also a lie. Look, there aren't that many missing tabs, unless you're specifically looking for them. You're blowing the problem out of proportion. Deal with it.

Exactly. The only time I've found removed tabs is when I'm actually looking for them. And a lot of the ones that are now removed, I already have saved in my GP tab library, on my hard drive.
ruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #28
zappp
+ UG Master +

Quote:

mmm can't leave this unreplied. really, we have a few hundred tabs removed out of a few hundred thousands... that's like 0.001%.
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #29
Metal G

Quote:

Really, so the songs I searched for that were missing, that was made up? Maybe there aren't that many missing tabs, but it sure seems that way when about 75% of my searches end up at removed tabs. So, no, it really wasn't a lie.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #30
SkyValley
John Wayne Bassy

Tabs are a bullshit way to learn music anyway. Tabs are the reason you hear kids at Guitar Center ripping through metal solos and doing sweeping and shit but their ears are so piss-poor that when they go to do a bend it's really really out of tune and they don't even notice.
SkyValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #31
ruker
the iconflict

Yeah guys, gee golly gosh... tabs are so bad! How dare people that use tabs, play better than me.

Last edited by ruker : 08-08-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #32
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyValley
Tabs are a bullshit way to learn music anyway. Tabs are the reason you hear kids at Guitar Center ripping through metal solos and doing sweeping and shit but their ears are so piss-poor that when they go to do a bend it's really really out of tune and they don't even notice.

Wow. Thanks for shitting on those with damaged ears due to illness/congenital issues and had to use tabs to learn. Dick.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #33
pmm_guitar

Everything Bob Seger seems to be gone. Well, they are not that tricky to learn by ear but hell, isn't that ridiculous?
pmm_guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
SkyValley
John Wayne Bassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
Wow. Thanks for shitting on those with damaged ears due to illness/congenital issues and had to use tabs to learn. Dick.

Hahaha, is that like the obese people claiming they have "thyroid gland imbalances" or something as an excuse for their laziness and gluttony? If you're deaf why did you even start playing guitar? If you're just hard of hearing then turn the music up louder and learn by ear and with sheet music/theory like you're supposed to. Don't use bad hearing as an excuse for laziness.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM   #35
TJ1991
Custom User Title

Quote:
Hahaha, is that like the obese people claiming they have "thyroid gland imbalances" or something as an excuse for their laziness and gluttony? If you're deaf why did you even start playing guitar? If you're just hard of hearing then turn the music up louder and learn by ear and with sheet music/theory like you're supposed to. Don't use bad hearing as an excuse for laziness.

This post is one of the biggest steaming piles of uninformed crap I've ever read. You clearly don't know the first thing about hearing impairment. Why should someone with hearing problems not be into music? If it's good enough for Beethoven, etc. Discrimination, well done.

You clearly know nothing about the thyroid gland, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for female-fronted rock band Viszera.
TJ1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #36
SkyValley
John Wayne Bassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ1991
This post is one of the biggest steaming piles of uninformed crap I've ever read. You clearly don't know the first thing about hearing impairment. Why should someone with hearing problems not be into music? If it's good enough for Beethoven, etc. Discrimination, well done.

You clearly know nothing about the thyroid gland, either.

Are you SERIOUS? Are people ACTUALLY claiming hearing impairment as an excuse for tone deafness???

Let me tell you a story, when I started music school they played two notes for me and asked "which note is higher?" I couldn't tell! I was completely tone deaf and all the notes seemed the same to me. However, after 4 years of serious study and tons of practice I now have near-perfect pitch. I can hum the high E string without hearing it. I can pick out Bb, C, and a few other notes just on blind hearing tests. If someone plays a scale, arpeggio, or mode to me without me looking I can tell what it is.

It's because I PRACTICED and I never made up bullshit excuses on being "hearing impaired" or "tone deaf." There's no such THING as tone-deaf, anymore than a person who doesn't speak French is "French-deaf!" You just never took the time to learn the language!

Notes are just frequencies, you don't need to hear them very loud for your brain to process the musical information. Even if you are almost deaf, as long as you can hear the note at all your brain can process the information. You would literally need to be brain damaged or have some sort of mental deficiency to be incapable of learning to differentiate notes. Poor hearing is no excuse.

I'm sure that some people have a much harder time learning to hear into music than others (I know I did) but anyone can do it if you really, really care about being a good musician. Beethoven could compose late in his career after his hearing went because he studied music so much that he could arrange it all in his head and know what it would sound like. That's a skill that we should ALL be developing!

Your accusation of "discrimination" is totally unfounded. I am living proof that someone with no musical background or natural talent can develop the skills necessary to transcribe music by ear. How am I discriminating against people by wanting them to do things the right way?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #37
ruker
the iconflict

Quote:

Oh snap, dropping the "supposed to"!
Old 08-11-2013, 03:15 AM   #38
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

Quote:

Please point to where I said that I use tabs exclusively and never learnt theory? I know my theory. I used tabs to help me learn songs when I was first starting out because of my hearing issues. If tabs didn't exist, I'd have probably gotten extremely frustrated and quit being a musician, being the fickle age I was. 13 years later, I've been signed and session regularly. I consider myself a successful musician.

I have no eardrum in my right ear, and a lot of scar tissue covering the one in my left ear. People said that I shouldn't swim because if I dived, the pressure buildup would be painful. I went ahead and learnt how to swim anyway. I get a lot of enjoyment out of swimming, same as I get a lot of enjoyment out of music. So you tell me, with my poor hearing, why shouldn't I be a musician?

I'll accept your apology when/if you make one.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #39
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Quote:
Tabs are a bullshit way to learn music anyway. (and tons of other arrogant bs)

Not only an offense to said those more challenged with hearing (you are not them, even if you could with your mind and body - doesn't mean that you could if you were them)
You're also shitting all over transcribers and people who make tabs.

I don't care how good you claim your ears are, you're not gonna be able to hear everything in some muddy high-gain low tuned riff or some super fast double lead solo, which doesn't stand out in the mix, just by listening to it. The transcriber could have spent several hours slowing down, isolating and equalizing - to make sure every note, bend, slide, HOPO, vibrato, etc is spot on.
Now you could do this yourself, but many don't have the resources, equipment, knowledge or skill to do it - and if you first put in all that time and effort, you might as well make a tab and share it.

There's nothing wrong with using tabs as an aid, though there does come a day where you start to notice that the tab with 100 5-star ratings wasn't as accurate as you first thought.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #40
zappp
+ UG Master +

Guys, I closed the topic because it went offtopic. There is an answer to the original question.
zappp is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: