Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
higgycr

Marshall 1960b speaker swap

Hey guys,

I was thinking of adding some new speakers to my 1960b, not too keen on the cut mids in the stock celestion 75's/

I have heard that putting two V30's in a cross pattern with the originals speakers is a great combo.

i play hard rock/ cover band rock mainly.

would it be a good idea to buy a harley benton vintage 212 and swap its speakers with the marshall ?

Its only 160 quid, im not too sure on the price's of a seperate set of V30's.

so basically, would i be better buying the 212 and switching the speakers, or buying a seperate pair of V30's ?

thanks

edit. forgot to say im playing a egnater tweaker 88 which is a pretty bassy amp, and sometimes a valveking 50 watt thats been converted into a head

Last edited by higgycr : 04-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.
higgycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
ne14t

Yeah Celestion V30s are pretty much a staple speaker from rock like Zeppelin and stuff, may not be so good if you are going heavier maybe something like a Cannabis Rex then. And I don't know what the prices run in the UK but you would be able to get a single V30 for $150 so it seems like a decent deal, just make sure the ohms match up properly.
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
ne14t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
cGoEcYk

V30s would be a great complement. I'd go with any of the alternatives though... WSG Vet30, Eminence Governor. They are all supposed to be a lil better. These days I always go with Eminence over Celestion (with the exception of G12K's).
cGoEcYk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Bigbazz

There is not really any way for a speaker to be "better" when it comes to guitar speakers, because it's all down to taste, I have V30s in one of mine, I also have a 1960A with the T75s and I also have a Marshall AVT150 combo with a 100w Celestion cheapy thing inside it.

If anything the cheapy 100w Celestion sounds as good as the V30s, but I really dislike the T75s, horrible. There are a few good comparison videos on youtube, the Eminence Swamp Thang took my fancy though the Celestion Vintage 30 is probably my overall favourite, they sound good with everything and it's no surprise why they are the most popular.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ by all accounts the avt's speaker is a rebranded hot 100... which is actually pretty well regarded if you do a search round the net (I haven't tried it).

cheapo speakers are pretty crappy, in other words. you just got lucky and got one of the few cheap good ones.

EDIT: disregard that, the 100 watter's speaker was a hot 100. not sure what the 150's speaker was, since it'd need a 150 watt-rated speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14t
(a) Yeah Celestion V30s are pretty much a staple speaker from rock like Zeppelin and stuff, (b) may not be so good if you are going heavier maybe something like a Cannabis Rex then. (c) And I don't know what the prices run in the UK but you would be able to get a single V30 for $150 so it seems like a decent deal, (d) just make sure the ohms match up properly.

(a) lolwut?

(b) lolwut? v30s are like the industry standard hard rock and metal speaker.

(c) around 75 i think. considering he already has two g12t75s, it may well just make more sense to get the harley benton...

(d) ... as long as the impedance matches up, as you said. that's the main thing to consider. it's only a good deal if the impedances match.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 04-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
higgycr

Yeah im probably gonna get a harley benton, if anything it will be useful having a 212 kicking around with an old set of t75's in it after the swap. If i am correct the V30's in it are 16ohm which is good. the marshall runs a paralel series set up if i am correct so its speakers are 16 ohm also.
higgycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Bigbazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ by all accounts the avt's speaker is a rebranded hot 100... which is actually pretty well regarded if you do a search round the net (I haven't tried it).

cheapo speakers are pretty crappy, in other words. you just got lucky and got one of the few cheap good ones.

EDIT: disregard that, the 100 watter's speaker was a hot 100. not sure what the 150's speaker was, since it'd need a 150 watt-rated speaker

(a) lolwut?

(b) lolwut? v30s are like the industry standard hard rock and metal speaker.

(c) around 75 i think. considering he already has two g12t75s, it may well just make more sense to get the harley benton...

(d) ... as long as the impedance matches up, as you said. that's the main thing to consider. it's only a good deal if the impedances match.

The AVT150 speaker is the same as the 100, it only ran at 150w 4ohms, 100w at 8ohms, the AVT series had a 1x12 extension cabinet intended to go with the AVT150 in order for you to use the full 150w. So really the AVT150 was only 100w on its own.

Anyway, that speaker sounds great, the amp gets used as a 1x12 cabinet for my other amps these days, for practice and recording, I used the 1960A for years live, but never liked the sound of the speakers, just couldn't afford to replace them at the time or I would have put 4x V30s in there and sold off the T75s.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 04-12-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah i see, thanks

yeah well then if it is the hot 100, that explains why it sounds good. it's certainly not the case that all cheapo speakers sound good, just you got lucky.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: