Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
ArtistLion

How can I learn to Speed Pick like this? See link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0g...571ACABC3369010

In the beginning it sounds like the Rhytm Guitarist is speed picking on the upper strings. He does this incredibly fast. I was wondering how I can learn this. Anyone have any suggestions? Do you guys also now which chords the rhytm guitarist happens to be playing :3? Then I can use this song as practice.
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

I suggest that you download that song, use some software to slow it down and let your ear do the work. When you're done figuring it out, find a metronome and practice the song at a comfortable pace. In this case, comfortable means that you're fully relaxed and not tensed. Also, always try to practice perfectly - no mistakes allowed! If it means that you have to start at 2 bpm then so be it! When you are able to play a section clean and even on a certain speed, slowly increase the bpm on your metronome and start practicing until you come to that same level of clean- and evenness(?). Rinse and repeat.

Speed will not come overnight, so do not rush it! Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.

Last edited by My Last Words : 05-19-2013 at 11:52 AM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Aurora Borealis

I can play really fast rhytm. I owe this mainly to my old Iced Earth cover band. You may want to try some of their songs. John schaffer Plays pretty fast with "triplets". This song is plain speed picking but if you can triplet with IE speed, you will most likely be able to play the song you posted. g#,b, f#, a
Aurora Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players

protip: it's midi programmed

totally possible but the tone he's getting is coming from someone fiddling around in a DAW and essentially running a sample in the same way you might program a kickdrum to do blast beats
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Borealis
I can play really fast rhytm. I owe this mainly to my old Iced Earth cover band. You may want to try some of their songs. John schaffer Plays pretty fast with "triplets". This song is plain speed picking but if you can triplet with IE speed, you will most likely be able to play the song you posted. g#,b, f#, a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Like twins, but one more?

That's it, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
ArtistLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora Borealis

Thx a lot, so I need to work on speed picking triplets. I'll try out that band later.
ArtistLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
Aurora Borealis

No problem. If its too difficult for you, though you should find a slightly slower band, most of 80s famous metal bands have songs that can work for you.
Aurora Borealis is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: