Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 AM   #161
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Sounds like what you're doing is more low-level than most of what I studied, but to be honest that kind of stuff close to the metal really isn't my speciality anyway, I did choose things that were more abstract on purpose

Well, this first year we've kinda done the whole range from high to low, from doing data visualisation with Processing to building simple transistor logic circuits and everything in between.

I like how broad it is and it's really interesting and occasionally useful to know the "under the hood" stuff, but I would like to spend more time coding in high level languages. I'm trying to keep sharp over the summer doing the project euler stuff, have you any recommendations for resources to use?

Quote:
I am quite severely jealous of anyone who can actually play that game, I keep seeing lets plays on youtube and one of my housemates has it on PC but I don't have anything that is actually capable of running the damn thing!

I'm running it with everything set to lowest and it's still gorgeous! I wish I had a PC that could push it but I've very little money nowadays.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 PM   #162
Anon17

Some of my friends at university love project Euler, bunch of nerds.

I can't remember how I learnt to program initially since I started trying to make poor quality video games at about 11 year old, but I can tell you once you get the basics down you want to try and code things you enjoy making for a while without following a tutorial to get you used to Googling all your problems and similar programmer techniques. At least that helped me a lot, haven't done so much programming since first year.

CS seems like a much more interesting course in every aspect than maths to be honest. Most of the stuff you learn in the 3rd/4th years of maths tends to be abstract bullshit with very little use anywhere in the real world.

Last edited by Anon17 : 06-13-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Anon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #163
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Well, this first year we've kinda done the whole range from high to low, from doing data visualisation with Processing to building simple transistor logic circuits and everything in between.

I like how broad it is and it's really interesting and occasionally useful to know the "under the hood" stuff, but I would like to spend more time coding in high level languages. I'm trying to keep sharp over the summer doing the project euler stuff, have you any recommendations for resources to use?

That is pretty awesome, definitely good to get a good look at everything the area has to offer, really what you should get in a first year if you ask me! Hopefully you should be able to choose more high-level based stuff for next year.

Sadly I know almost nothing about Project Euler, I'm vaguely familiar with it but that's about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon17
CS seems like a much more interesting course in every aspect than maths to be honest. Most of the stuff you learn in the 3rd/4th years of maths tends to be abstract bullshit with very little use anywhere in the real world.

It gets a bit weird once you get in to the final stages of CS as well, I grant you it's not as abstract as the business end of a maths degree (number theory what now?) but a lot of the stuff I did this year, even if it's not really that abstract is really specific

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:09 AM   #164
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon17

Three guys in my class have come over from 3rd year maths and are finding themselves enjoying CS a lot more. I did consider a maths course myself when I was leaving school but I'm really glad I didn't go in for it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That is pretty awesome, definitely good to get a good look at everything the area has to offer, really what you should get in a first year if you ask me! Hopefully you should be able to choose more high-level based stuff for next year.

Not much free choice yet tbh. I have to do a "broad curriculum" thingie next year, meaning some kind of arts module when I really cba and just want to program. There might be something cool though!

I did some more riff covers for anyone curious -

Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #165
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Not much free choice yet tbh. I have to do a "broad curriculum" thingie next year, meaning some kind of arts module when I really cba and just want to program. There might be something cool though!

Ahhh, that's a bit of a bugger, but it's probably worth looking to see if there's anything in design or something you might be able to pick up? I know programmers with design skills are quite rare and I'm pretty sure it's an easier time getting work if you can do some of that graphics type stuff; I'm awful at it personally!

Album.
Legion.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #166
Hail
i'm a mean bully

my girlfriend's a math major and she just "picked up" design and coding for summer work so it can't be terribly difficult
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #167
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
my girlfriend's a math major and she just "picked up" design and coding for summer work so it can't be terribly difficult

Depends if you want to do them well or not Any shmuck can write a few lines of code and put together something functional, making both of them good takes a lot more work! I would also say that at least for the code, being a maths student puts you in a good position for the right mindset and way of thinking that it takes anyway; there's a decent amount of cross over between the two subjects.

Examples:

Alan Turing, father of modern computing, was a mathematician. Alonso Church, author of the Lambda Calculus, a building block for laaaaarge parts of programming was also a mathematician and co-author of the Church-Turing thesis. Donald Knuth, author of "The Art Of Computer Programming" is also a mathematician.

... I'm going to stop being defensive about my job now. For a while at least.

Album.
Legion.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 07-03-2015 at 04:44 PM.

Rate This Thread: