Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
bingeandletgo
Ba˝ned

Which Marshall style amp with Telecaster?

Looking for a new amp to use with my good old USACG Tele (my #1). I know I want an EL-34 British-style amp; the question is which one? My band plays something along the lines of pop/alternative/indie rock. I play lead, and my rhythm guitarist plays with a Strat + Vox AC30.

Marshall Plexi (clone): Probably way too loud to get the gain I want. A Billy Squire-esque tone would be awesome, but that kind of volume would cause problems live. Also, can't decide which year (67, 68, 69 etc) or between the bass and lead circuit.

JCM 800: Possibly too bright and edgy for a Tele?

Orange Rockerverb: All of those low-mids might muddy of the mix, and either not cut through or totally overshadow the other guitar depending on volume.
Thoughts? Any other amps I should look at?

bingeandletgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingeandletgo
Looking for a new amp to use with my good old USACG Tele (my #1). I know I want an EL-34 British-style amp; the question is which one? My band plays something along the lines of pop/alternative/indie rock. I play lead, and my rhythm guitarist plays with a Strat + Vox AC30.

Marshall Plexi (clone): Probably way too loud to get the gain I want. A Billy Squire-esque tone would be awesome, but that kind of volume would cause problems live. Also, can't decide which year (67, 68, 69 etc) or between the bass and lead circuit.

JCM 800: Possibly too bright and edgy for a Tele?

Orange Rockerverb: All of those low-mids might muddy of the mix, and either not cut through or totally overshadow the other guitar depending on volume.
Thoughts? Any other amps I should look at?

i have a suhr T2 tele i use.

i have a JTM45 clone. it's loud as hell, but most people run an OD or distortion pedal in the front of these things anyway. this is one of my favorite amps period, mine was a kit amp that an amp tech bought and made for me. got it for a grand, which is way cheaper than the marshall version. i have also played the marshall version (it also had their attenuator hooked up to it) and i preferred mine in comparison.

i also have an orange OR50H, i love it. this was my total #1 amp til i got the plexi. i usually mix the plexi with other amps, the OR50H is a way better stand alone amp imo and gets pretty brutal tones at reasonable volumes. the rockerverb is a pretty different beast, but should be somewhat comparable in it's role.

i love using the tele with both those amps, i'd recommend the orange if you want more versatility.

a stock JCM800 is not what many guitarists think it will be. it tends not to have as much gain as many people would think. it's still a good amp, and it loves a OD in front of it, but i would try one before buying. you can get a good deal on these used. if you want a more modern sound with more gain on tap, then i'd check out a JCM2000.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Attercop

I'm thinking Orange for the stuff you play, it's got a lovely growly overdriven sound. It'll be a lot more versatile as well. All are good choices, it's just a matter of preference. Don't forget that you can always hit the Plexi with a bit of overdrive in front. Also for the Plexi, don't get too caught up in the specific year, because they were all a little different depending on production at the time anyway.

If you're looking into clones, check out the Ceriatone Yeti/Chupacabra. It's a hot-rodded Plexi circuit. Might be the middle ground you need, but unfortunately there's not much info out there on them.
Attercop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Quinlan
UG's Dragon Chaser

I would look at Marshall esque amps that are 30W or less. You can always mic up to a PA to balance out volume issues. Then you can get the type of drive that you want from the amp, or push it with a OD or treble booster to really get some grit.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Roc8995

A JTM45 would be great, although my favorite Marshall for Teles is the 1974. A Ceriatone 18 or 36 watt clone would be my choice. Cheap, good at all volumes, and you have a few options with the different models - trem, TMB tone stack, EF86 preamp. They're not EL34 amps, but they'll sound a lot different than your bandmate's AC30, and nobody's ever going to say that it doesn't sound british.

As nice as a lot of the Orange amps are, most of them don't sound good with a Tele to me. The signature Orange overdrive is wooly and unfocused, which is great for humbuckers but just doesn't play to the strength of the tele very well.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
al112987
UG's Shooter McGavin

Get Ceriatone to build you a JTM45 with a master volume. Problem solved. Also, it's only about 35 watts, so you can still rev it up when you want in a band situation, though when I was gigging, I used a hotplate to knock off about 4 dB. Otherwise, it sounds great with most OD pedals.

Get a '65 spec, with a badge logo and you're in business.

Last edited by al112987 : 04-17-2012 at 12:15 AM.
al112987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech

JTM45 definitely. However, if you are scared of the volume (I run mine on 8 at home so ) look for an 18W Marshall clone (A 1974X or 1974X lite). They are very plexi like but much quieter to get into crunch territory.
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: