Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
iwin31

Can't Write Riffs

I'll keep this short and sweet. I'm having trouble writing riffs and songs for my band. All of the things I write are either stupid, another song I've recently heard or the same stuff I've already written. What are some tips for getting out of a rut like this?
iwin31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #2
danleary

Listen to a song you like. Pay attention to why you like it, whether it's the chords, the structure, the time signature, or the scale that's being played. It's okay to emulate if you're in a rut, it can inspire your own spin on things.

You can also try just fiddling around. Noodle to a jam track. It's okay if it sounds like crud. Heck, record yourself doing it, you might be surprised by what you find when you play it back.

And keep up with your practicing. The more you know, the more tools you have to create with.

Sometimes I even find myself hating what I create, then I forget about it, find it a few months later, and actually like what I hear. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Last edited by danleary : 12-28-2013 at 01:33 AM.
danleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
BledGhostWhite
Stop being a centipede

Try jerking around with different techniques. Do some tapping, or try string skipping. Find a chord shape to bounce around on. Use a certain technique as a foundation, and mess with it. It quite often inspires something not only usable, but usually very original sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
BledGhostWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
Oyface
UG's pimping owl

Just one tip; you are your own worst critic. Stuff might not be as bad as you think at first.

EDIT: Just like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danleary
Sometimes I even find myself hating what I create, then I forget about it, find it a few months later, and actually like what I hear. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmellspoo
if you took a bite out of an ebola patient, you'd probably end up with ebola.

Last edited by Oyface : 12-28-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Oyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
iwin31

Thanks to all who replied, I think you're right about being my own worst critic. I went back to some stuff I recorded earlier and it actually sounds pretty good.
iwin31 is offline   Reply With Quote