Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 12:11 AM   #17761
jambi_mantra
Is actually English

12 reps is the top of the hypertrophy range. If you're looking for size you'd be better off doing 8-10 and upping the weight a bit. If you're a total beginner you'd be better dropping down to 5 reps and getting strength gains which will act as a good base to build on.

CHELSEA SAINTS REBELS DEVILS VIKINGS

Those who rule the sky, will conquer the Earth
Are you sick of heels? No? Where's your head at? Maybe it's some place new? Merry Christmas everyone
jambi_mantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #17762
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Also, I guess I'll log my workout.

Leg day. Kind of shitty.

Squats:
Warmup:
135 1x8
185 1x6
225 1x6
Working:
275 1x1
275 1x2

Put on my belt for the squats at 275 and immediately felt the worst fucking pain in my lower abdominal at the bottom of the rep. Shouldn't have cheaped out when I decided to buy a belt. Did another set without the belt, but started feeling discomfort again on the second rep, so I stopped before I tore a muscle or some shit.

Deadlifts:
275 1x8
315 1x5
365 1x1
385 1x1

Was pissed off about the shitty squats, so I went heavier than I was planning on deads. Felt good to hit the 385 again just to know I can still do it. I've been trying to match the 405 I hit a month ago for the last three weeks and failing every time. Felt good to hit a heavy pull.

Hip thrusts:
Hump the sky!
Warmup:
Bar only 1x8
135 5x5

Dat glute squeeze.

Seated calf raises
135 1x10 1x8 3x6

Was going to go for a burnout 8x8 on the leg press, but some dude was on it for like 20 minutes, so I was like nah.
TheChaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:19 AM   #17763
TheChaz
Scientist Salarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambi_mantra
12 reps is the top of the hypertrophy range. If you're looking for size you'd be better off doing 8-10 and upping the weight a bit. If you're a total beginner you'd be better dropping down to 5 reps and getting strength gains which will act as a good base to build on.

This. A 5x5 program will get you strength gains like you wouldn't believe when you're just starting out.
TheChaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:33 AM   #17764
Ticket48
-Thread Killer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz
How the hell were you squatting 400 and only benching 115?

I looked up an old journal I had when I started working out this summer (so, not that old), I got allll the way up to 135 pounds. So take that.

No one knows this since I don't talk about it. To anyone. But, I'm actually pretty self conscious about it. I've been happy I can see more ab muscles when I flex but I really don't have chest muscles. This is why I really want to see Insanity through. I want to finally lose all this extra body fat around my midsection I've been carrying around all these years. Then add in some much needed muscle.

Also, I use to do a ton of sports when I was younger. I loved to pitch. That requires some pretty good leg and core muscles to do well. That and I believe working with my dad helped. When I was younger (around 15ish) I worked with my dad in a repair shop (sump pump and electric motors). That shit is heavy and I had to pick it up and move that stuff around all the time. Up until I moved I still helped out there. I've had about 7-8 years of part time work there. Really only in the summers and winters since I focused on school for the rest of the year. Anyway, some weigh a few pounds and some I can't pick up. Or budge. We only get a handful every so often that are ridiculously heavy. There's this fancy pool club that calls us to replace and repair two motors every few years. They weighed over 700 pounds each. It sucks major ass to change those. Whenever I think about my weird muscle imbalance I blame baseball and working at the shop. I have no clue if that's reasonable but that's all that makes sense to me.

Taco Man of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim Club. PM HolyWars90 to join

Last edited by Ticket48 : Today at 12:37 AM.
Ticket48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 AM   #17765
LolCatGuitar
The Surgeon is back

oh my fuck after 2 solid rest days with minimal activity, i hit the gym almost entirely pain free, miss an 85kg clean double a few times, hardly manage to make some jerks up to 80kg (did 90 pretty easily last week) then cant even backsquat 110kg for a set of 3 and my best is 125kg, so if anything it should be my 4-5rm.

what is this bullcock. should been doing an easy double BW squat by now, almost 2 years in.

Rate This Thread: