Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
cGoEcYk

Wiring a 2x12 - One Speaker Doesnt Work?

Hello,

I recently obtained a cool unloaded Emperor cab and put my Eminence Legend V1216's (16 ohm) in there from some Krank cabs I had.

I wired things up just like this, parallel:

I've checked everything. All my connections are good- solidly connected/soldered. I put positive on the TIP of the jack (I had to redo my work ), polarities are correct on the speaker connections.

When I listen to the cab, it's obvious that one is working and the other I can put my ear/hand up to and dont hear or feel anything. When I opened up the cab to fix the polarity on the jack and fired it up, I touched the cone of the quiet/non working one and it FELT like it was vibrating along with the other but maybe it was just responding sympathetically to the loud one.

I was very careful handling the speakers throughout the installation process. Both speakers in their separate cabs worked fine before. Any thoughts before I open this cab up again?

Last edited by cGoEcYk : 02-14-2013 at 05:14 PM.
cGoEcYk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

If your amp can handle 16 ohms, I would try disconnecting the working speaker and seeing if you can hear the other one.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
PSimonR
PSR

It is possible that when soldering the connections to the tags that the connections from the tags to the speaker coils became "dry" or even un-soldered.

Also note that your diagram is incorrect. It should be tip + and sleeve -ve (ring not connected, or not there)

You can use a single cell battery to check that the speaker coil is still connected. Just touch it on and the speaker cone should move in response.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
cGoEcYk

Alright... I opened it back up and did all kinds of testing. My findings were that the speaker works fine and the problem lies with the jack.

For some reason things are dead on this one side of the jack, but work fine on the other side:

Any thoughts on what I should do next?

Could I just wire one speaker to the good side, and then connect +/+ and -/- directly from speaker A to speaker B?
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Phil Starr

OK it looks like you have a switched Jack Socket where one set of connections is broken when you insert the plug. Use the good side and daisy chain one speaker to the next
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It is possible that when soldering the connections to the tags that the connections from the tags to the speaker coils became "dry" or even un-soldered.

Also note that your diagram is incorrect. It should be tip + and sleeve -ve (ring not connected, or not there)

The tip is +ve on the diagram...

And yeah, you've hooked up your wires to the wrong side of the jack. The speaker that's not working is being disconnected when you plug in the jack. Plug them both into the side where the metal prongs are continuous and you're good to go

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
cGoEcYk

Thanks guys. I received the unloaded cab with wires soldered on the good side and some shorter clip-style wires on the left. I apparently misunderstood their purpose (probably just patch cables to go from speaker to speaker, they were too short to extend to the back of the cab) and figured that side was supposed to be wired too.

I guess you got to learn somehow.

I'll post a clip of this cab with the Legends in it. It sounds bright, clear, and big.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
LeviMan_2001

Yayy always nice to see something sorted so quickly.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
cGoEcYk

Quick little clip with the Legends (just learning to record, nothing fancy & bass is too loud)-

https://soundcloud.com/#dr_thunda/thundar-2013-0215

Rate This Thread: