Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
TheCraigster

Question Nut Noise While Tapping Problem and Question

I have an RG4EXQM1 (nothing special) which I tend to play dry a whole lot. I have always noticed that when I tap on especially high frets, not only is there always a second note ringing out from it, but that unwanted note rings LOUDER than the one that I should be hearing. I searched for reasons and found that the second unwanted harmony I'm hearing is from the part of the string in between the NUT and my finger. I wondered why this doesn't happen plugged in, then found out its because all the pickups are on the RIGHT side of bridge (so it made me realize that the sounds are coming from completely different parts and from different directions). Duh. I understand. I am aware that this is natural, and that acoustic tappers struggle with it. But this doesn't happen with my other guitar. At all. The other guitar is a piece of crap Squier Strat ( and it obviously isnt completely crappy since this doesn't happen to it). People say to mute the left part of the string to fix it. It does. But thats a problem because that would only work if I only tapped one note, and never pulled it off. Obviously, I need to be able to tap AND pull off without the string being muted. Say my tapping finger is high up, and the finger(s) I am using to simply fret and pull off, are closer to the nut, I will hear this sound still, because there's still a lot of string to the left of my finger. Muting is most peoples' solution. But I obviously can't mute where my left hand is playing! So it has to be strings, or the double locking nut feature, or something. This is a big deal because I play without amps a lot and I would like for it to not happen then either, like my Squier. Any help?
TheCraigster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCraigster
I have an RG4EXQM1 (nothing special) which I tend to play dry a whole lot. I have always noticed that when I tap on especially high frets, not only is there always a second note ringing out from it, but that unwanted note rings LOUDER than the one that I should be hearing.

I searched for reasons and found that the second unwanted harmony I'm hearing is from the part of the string in between the NUT and my finger. I wondered why this doesn't happen plugged in, then found out its because all the pickups are on the RIGHT side of bridge (so it made me realize that the sounds are coming from completely different parts and from different directions). Duh. I understand.

I am aware that this is natural, and that acoustic tappers struggle with it. But this doesn't happen with my other guitar. At all. The other guitar is a piece of crap Squier Strat ( and it obviously isnt completely crappy since this doesn't happen to it). People say to mute the left part of the string to fix it. It does. But thats a problem because that would only work if I only tapped one note, and never pulled it off. Obviously, I need to be able to tap AND pull off without the string being muted.

Say my tapping finger is high up, and the finger(s) I am using to simply fret and pull off, are closer to the nut, I will hear this sound still, because there's still a lot of string to the left of my finger.

Muting is most peoples' solution. But I obviously can't mute where my left hand is playing! So it has to be strings, or the double locking nut feature, or something. This is a big deal because I play without amps a lot and I would like for it to not happen then either, like my Squier. Any help?

THat was a huge wall of text that I could barely read through.

I'm not of much help, but I broke up the wall of tex so others could help you.

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #3
TheCraigster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
THat was a huge wall of text that I could barely read through.

I'm not of much help, but I broke up the wall of tex so others could help you.

Thank you, I wanted to make sure I wasn't being vague
TheCraigster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: