Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
alexgalexy
alxfgh

Question Shure SM58 vs AT2020 (For Recording Acoustic and Drums)

So im starting to record 1 man videos without vocals. I have a Line6 UX2 for recording with my electric guitar and bass. I have an acoustic guitar, ukulele, and drums still to record but im torn between buying the Shure SM58 or AT2020 to use them to record these 3 instruments. Any help on which is better?
alexgalexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

AT2020 would be the better recording mic.

The SM58 is good for live vocals, but it isn't usually the best option for recording.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
jetwash69

You get more detail out of condenser mics.

If you are dead-set on a dynamic mic, the Shure SM57 is a more conventional choice for recording instruments, and it can pull off double-duty as a live vocal mic, too. It also costs the same.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

No contest, the AT2020 will absolutely demolish the SM58 at acoustic guitar and drum miking.

Also check out the SE Electronics stuff in the same price range.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
No contest...Also check out the SE Electronics stuff in the same price range.

I'll second that. sE is probably the best kept secret in the industry. Yeah, it's Chinese, but they run their own factory, don't outsource the production, and don't make mics for other brands. They maintain high standards, don't let any business practices dilute that, and they stand behind their products.

BTW, the norm for drum recording is to use a variety of mics (a lot of dynamic mics) to record indidividual components of the kit, and then use a condenser or two above the set. Room accoustics are a big factor, too. Not sure what you're going for, but you might be better off renting studio time to record drums. Or using a digital set with mesh heads in MIDI mode and processing with software like Superior Drummer.

All depends on what you're going for, but anything other than really lo-fi is going to be expensive with drums.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
alexgalexy
alxfgh

I only have a budget around 150$ to buy a good quality mic. But im stuck between the condenser and dynamic. For recording drums, i was just planning on hanging the mic above the set. The condenser seems as the best choice for recording a full drum set but im not sure its up for recording acoustic guitar and ukulele.
alexgalexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgalexy
I only have a budget around 150$ to buy a good quality mic. But im stuck between the condenser and dynamic. For recording drums, i was just planning on hanging the mic above the set. The condenser seems as the best choice for recording a full drum set but im not sure its up for recording acoustic guitar and ukulele.

If you've noyl got one mic to record a drum kit, a condenser is definitely the right choice.

As for acoustic guitar and ukelele, condensers are the go-to mic (though usually with a small diaphragm since they have a slightly faster response), you don't need to worry.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

The condenser will be loads better than a dynamic mic for acoustic & uke.

A while ago I compared my mic's, a Samson C01 (LDC), Samson C02 (SDC) and an SM58. The Samson's are among the cheapest condenser mic's you can buy, but IMO they're still better than recording with the SM58.

Check them out to compare for yourself:
https://soundcloud.com/garybillingt...lude-mic-checks

Terribly played, but those recordings are completely free of any mixing or mastering so you'll hear exactly what each mic adds/takes away from the sound.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
jetwash69

As for an LDC recording acoustic guitar, here's an example of what it can sound like even when done quick and dirty (he didn't even mic the guitar directly):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAG9oXrdJG0&feature=plcp

SM57 would be good for micing electric guitar cabs and some drums, but not ideal for recording acoustic guitar/uke. And SM58 isn't ideal for recording much of anything; a very small # of singers record well on those, but that's usually an engineer's last resort if he has a decent mic locker.

Rate This Thread: