Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

Recording acoustic guitar.

I have a Samson CO1U USB mic and a Scarlett 2i4.
Is micing the acoustic gonna sound better than DI?
When I record with teh Samson now, it gives me a really dull/flat sound. It's almost muffled sounding. I'm not looking for any crazy sound, I really just want it to sound like my acoustic sounds when I'm playing it.
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old Too Young (Folk/Bluegrass/Punk)
The Orange Line (Stoner Metal/Punk/Alternative)
Billwallace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Depends what mics you buy!

The C01U is definitely a bit of a bland mic, but nothing a bit of EQ can't fix. I'd look at your mic placement before I started questioning the mic/preamp.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

I'm considering selling my Samson and my Peavey and trying to get an SM58. Will that be decent for acoustic or is that a vocal/amp only mic?
And I was looking at another recent post about recording acoustic and I saw that it's better to put the mic about "14 inches from the hole". I've been recording directly in front of it. Would that cause that muffled sound?
And I'm still very new at using EQ. Any suggestions on a preset?
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwallace89
I'm considering selling my Samson and my Peavey and trying to get an SM58. Will that be decent for acoustic or is that a vocal/amp only mic?
And I was looking at another recent post about recording acoustic and I saw that it's better to put the mic about "14 inches from the hole". I've been recording directly in front of it. Would that cause that muffled sound?
And I'm still very new at using EQ. Any suggestions on a preset?

The SM58 is a big step down for both acoustic guitar and vocals. Don't bother.

Recording out of the soundhole will give you a dark, boomy sound, yes.

I suggest you start with the mic aimed squarely at the 12th fret from about 10 inches away. For a bighter sound, angle away from the body/soundhole. If it sounds too thin, aim it towards the body.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

Thanks.
I was prepared to get the SM58. It seems to be highly recomended on these forums.
Would you maybe have another suggestion for a mic? The acoustic recording isn't as important as the vocals, but I'd still like to do acoustic here and there.
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old 02-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
StuartBahn

I can highly recommend the guitarist Jay Graydon's website for some expert recording advice: http://www.jaygraydon.com/guitatxt.htm#Recording

It's a very comprehensive set of articles and he's a kick ass guitarist.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartBahn
I can highly recommend the guitarist Jay Graydon's website for some expert recording advice: [/url]

None of that is advice, more just information about a guitarist's personal setup

The SM58 is a great mic for live vocals. It can work well in the studio with certain vocalists in specific circumstances.

If you want a dirt-cheap way of getting nice acoustic tone, you can get a pair of Behringer C2s for around 40. They're a surprisingly decent little condenser mic, and you could arrange them in a stereo pair to capture your guitar from two different angles that can then be mixed or panned together.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

Are they any good for vocals?
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old 02-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #9
Sethis

Quote:
I have a Samson CO1U USB mic and a Scarlett 2i4.
Is micing the acoustic gonna sound better than DI?
When I record with teh Samson now, it gives me a really dull/flat sound. It's almost muffled sounding. I'm not looking for any crazy sound, I really just want it to sound like my acoustic sounds when I'm playing it.

I don't really like an acoustic g recorded from its pickups. Imo an acoustic recorded with almost any mic will sound better.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
The SM58 is a big step down for both acoustic guitar and vocals. Don't bother.

I don't really think it's a step down. I haven't heard the SM58 but I've heard what the SM57 can do and they're pretty similar. I think they just have different uses. The condenser will give a fuller sound that will sound great on a song with just one guitar but the SM58 will give a brighter sound that can sit nicely in a dense mix.

But as you said I'd prefer a condenser as a general acoustic/vocal mic for recording since he can get only one.

Last edited by Sethis : 02-18-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis
I don't really think it's a step down. I haven't heard the SM58 but I've heard what the SM57 can do and they're pretty similar. I think they just have different uses. The condenser will give a fuller sound that will sound great on a song with just one guitar but the SM58 will give a brighter sound that can sit nicely in a dense mix.

*facepalm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

I've heard the C2's are only good for vox if you have an EQ preset. Is there any other mic that'll give me a good dry recording in that price range?
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
DickinsonSound
Recording Engineer

Recording an acoustic guitar depends entirely on where it is going to sit in the mix, the genre and the room.

I'm going to guess from your set up you don't have any other mics - and that is okay. What has been suggested so far is the best way - with one mic I would go for about 6-10inches (depending on your playing style) from 12th fret. The higher up the neck you go you'll get more string sound and a less transient recording - closer to the sound hole you will get move booming body noise.

Re: the shure 57/58 debate...
SM57 and an SM58 are the same mic. As in..the same apart from one having a pop shield (58) the other having a grill. These will sound muffled on an acoustic guitar and if you are purchasing a mic for acoustic only - there are plenty of other options on the market. (If you are after something multi-purpose - can't go wrong with them or a beyerdynamic 201. The 201 is more a go-to mic for me than a shure. But as with anything in recording...it depends on everything!)

Another point to note - you say you like the way it sounds to you, so try putting the mic by your head. That's where your ears are - and that is mic placement 101, if unsure stick your head in and find out =D.

Let us know how you get on, and post samples on soundcloud for us to hear!

JD
DickinsonSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
Billwallace89
Go Blackhawks!

Thanks. I'll try sticking the mic by my head and see what I can get with that. I'll definately post something for you guy when I do.
Fender Frontman 212R
Band(s):
Old 02-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickinsonSound
Recording an acoustic guitar depends entirely on where it is going to sit in the mix, the genre and the room. ...
Let us know how you get on, and post samples on soundcloud for us to hear!

JD

This... ^

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
roaraudio

Hey TS.
You really should, if your capable, have someone else play the guitar whilst you walk around the room to find the three spots where the guitar sounds best. Mark those spots and then determine which is the best. Get the guitarist to sit there.

Microphone choice is only half the battle.
That said you can't go wrong with a figure 8 pattern in front and a omni pattern next to the head, headstock side.
roaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
roaraudio

p.s. My mic choice and placement will get you full bodied lower frequencies and crisp highs.
Brilliant sound for acoustic music.
roaraudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #18
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

So many random snippets of poor advice/assumption here (if I don't quote you in this post, I'm not talking about you, though you probably know this anyway based on what you said ). In reverse chronological order...

Quote:
I've heard the C2's are only good for vox if you have an EQ preset. Is there any other mic that'll give me a good dry recording in that price range?

Whoever told you this was talking out of their arse - EQ should never be used with presets because every project/mix/audio signal is different and no one EQ preset will work best in any situation other than (potentially) the one it was created for.

Quote:

But as you said I'd prefer a condenser as a general acoustic/vocal mic for recording since he can get only one.

Actually, if anything condenser mics are brighter than dynamics as they have an extended high frequency response up to, and usually exceeding, 20KHz whereas most dynamics roll off around 15KHz or lower, quite significantly.

Quote:
I don't really like an acoustic g recorded from its pickups. Imo an acoustic recorded with almost any mic will sound better.

Depends on the situation - if you want a bright, up-front acoustic sound that doesn't need to sit wide/in stereo in the mix, then it is often better to DI it... especially if the preamps on the guitar are good (which is often the case in more expensive electro-acoustics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartBahn
I can highly recommend the guitarist Jay Graydon's website for some expert recording advice: http://www.jaygraydon.com/guitatxt.htm#Recording

Well, that's a lovely advert but it's not particularly helpful here...

Quote:
Thanks.
I was prepared to get the SM58. It seems to be highly recomended on these forums.

Don't worry, we're doing our best to rectify that

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: