Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #21
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i suppose, but i mean that's a bit of a faff. Not to mention you can always bend up with your fingers if you really want to get maximum diveage. Not to mention there's not a whole heap of point, you could just dive from a couple of frets higher. I mean with the trem at the parallel mid point you can still dive till the strings go slack (certainly on the lower strings) so it's not like you need to dive any lower...

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #22
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

It's more that when you have a bridge decked, as you usually would with a non-recessed Floyd, the springs are going to be pulling it back more and doing a full dive requires you to use more pressure. With a floating bridge it's that bit looser, easier and quicker to slam it all the way down.

Now, whether it is possible to do a full-length dive or rise in a way which doesn't make you sound like a complete tit is another debate for another day.

And I didn't say that a non-recessed Floyd isn't noticably different to a Strat bridge, just that the difference is as minimal as can be reasonably expected when comparing any two different bridges, and certainly compared to a recessed Floyd.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

most people with a non-recessed floyd set their floyd to float*, though. In that case dives are pretty much the same as with a recessed floyd.

(*source: i made that up)

I mean i know charvel sets up their non-recessed floyds to float from the factory. granted maybe musicman has them flush, so i dunno.

i'd still say a (floating) non-recessed floyd is far closer to a recessed floyd than to a strat trem (even if the strat trem is floating too). i suspect a flush-mount/dive-only non-recessed floyd is closer to a recessed floyd than a strat trem too, but i have a lot less experience with that as i prefer my trems to float, lol.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #24
MrFlibble

My Charvel's bridge came decked, my Kramer's came decked and I know that the current Fendes with non-recessed Floyds also come decked. In fact I don't think I've ever seen or heard of people setting a non-recessed Floyd to float. It'd defeat the point. So
Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

my charvel came floating All the pro mods i tried were floating too (IIRC).

i don't think it totally defeats the point (though i do sorta see where you're going with that). It lets you still get a little up-pull while eliminating the chances of breaking a string from pulling up too much. it also still lets you get flutter. it (arguably) has better tone than having a massive chunk out of the body. Plus you have the option of screwing it down tight to the body if you want.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #26
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Pretty much but the Sex sucks.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #27
MrFlibble

"Screwing it down tight to the body" certainly caught my eye, there.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what i do with my charvel in the privacy of my own home is my own business

Rate This Thread: