Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Shogun_23

Learning Scales!

I recently hit a wall in my guitar playing and well as a musician i always want to improve. I don't know where else to look, so i want to know from you guys about guitar scales. I have no experience in music theory and honestly i wish i did, i wish it was available to me in my area but it's not. So i scour the internet searching for lessons and maybe i haven't found the right one but i want to know is there a system to learning scales, or seriously you have to remember every position for every key?

I mean i've heard greats like Satriani say he literally sat and learned every scale note for note, an exaggeration? Maybe. I know, like for example, the major scale (W,W,H,W,W,W,H) and is that the way or easier way to memorize scales? I mean if i play an A note and follow the (W,W,H,W,W,W,H) format would that be the A major scale? If so how do i apply that to the whole guitar neck, switching strings instead of going up the fret on one string? Or do i literally have to memorize every position of the scale?

I don't know if i'm making everything complicating here or maybe I just don't understand, any information or tips to playing guitar scales would be greatly appreciated. I found good tutorials on Youtube of a music teacher teaching music theory and i'm still trying to understand and see if this really helps. Also i'm not sure if this (W,W,H,W,W,W,H) is the major scale so if i'm wrong, please bare with me lol.

I always feel and ask myself If only i knew where to go and what notes to play i could make better songs, become a way better musician, because i know that you can only go so far on you own in music. I mean i'm not a bad player i have been playing for years but i just want for now to get, even if it's just a little bit, more of an understanding of guitar scales and music theory.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by Shogun_23 : 04-10-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Shogun_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
skilly1

Yeah the formula you said there is right and it would be A major if you played starting on A and resolving on A. But you only have to learn the 5 positions of the major scale in one key then you can apply them to other keys. It's still a lot to remember but the major scale is the main scale to learn, so once you have it your in good stead
skilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #3
cocgem

Last edited by cocgem : 04-10-2013 at 03:41 AM.
cocgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
ha_asgag

The easiest way to remember the A Major Scale is to recall its "7 notes":
A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#.

There are COUNTLESS ways to play this scale (or any other scale / melody / lick) on the guitar and so knowing the UNISONS and octaves on the instrument is quite essential.
Attached Images

Last edited by ha_asgag : 04-10-2013 at 10:47 AM.
ha_asgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #5
ha_asgag

Here are some 2 octave patterns to get the fingers moving and pick alternating:
Attached Images

Last edited by ha_asgag : 04-10-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
soundgarden6742

You are getting the idea of it.. keep researching by yourself! There are a ton of good videos on youtube.

But something that will help you is learning all the notes on the fretboard.

Write out a blank fretboard and fill in the spaces with each note. Do this multiple times. I can fill out a fretboard in about a minute.

Suddenly you aren't playing random sounds.... but NOTES... with NAMES!!

And then you learn about the scales and chords which relate these notes.. and learn to locate them all over the fretboard. Now you can play in any key, in any position on the fretboard.
soundgarden6742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
rutle_me_this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha_asgag

Do you have links to images for the above in the other keys besides the key of A?

I love seeing the box patterns with the NOTES of the scale actually in the "dots".

Thanks

Last edited by rutle_me_this : 04-10-2013 at 02:32 PM.
rutle_me_this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Shogun_23

Thanks for the responses so far! Your right, Soundgarden6742 i need to learn every note on the fretboard and then i won't just be playing random sounds but notes with names! Great tip i will do that till all i see is notes with names. Thanks for the help so far guys!
Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
sweetdude3000

I found it extremely useful to get some little stickers on the fretboard and know where the notes are and run my fingers in all sorts of patterns to get the muscle memory and sound connection. Now I can listen to see if it sounds right while I run my fingers down the fretboard and use my ear to be the judge to see if the notes fit the pattern rather than the stickers. If you want to memorize the note names for every scale degree, the circle of fifths can show you how this logic works. I think it's better to know the sound of the intervals and know the name of the notes so you know a root if you are going to doing some soloing over a specific chord.
sweetdude3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
soundgarden6742

You have a natural curiosity which is the MOST important thing. Just keep your curiosity high by learning new things, keep digging for info, asking questions, I remember when I was where you are in my guitar learning journey... I found so much info on so many topics I didn't know where to start. I just dove in headfirst into long instructional videos, articles, whatever I could find... enjoyed every minute of it, it never felt like work.

Just start making sense of the general musical concepts, scales, intervals, chords, modes, etc, etc. Guitar players should start their learning with general music ed. before worrying their playing. Be a MUSICIAN, then a GUITAR PLAYER, in THAT ORDER! I always thought of the musical concepts on their own first, then I'd think "ok, how do I translate this musical concept on to the guitar?" Even a little theory goes a long way

Wikipedia and youtube can teach you a ton. Google guitar scales and the first result is a kick ass site which will show you every scale and chord on a fretboard diagram. Even better than just seeing it- is writing it out yourself. It really, really helps burn this shit into your memory. You'll feel so ****ing proud when you realize you have all this info in your head finally.

Really if you have a natural curiosity to learn musicianship, and have enough of a brain to know what you need to learn specifically (you do), and enough dedication to make and stick to a good practice routine, nothing will hold you back!
soundgarden6742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Shogun_23

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgarden6742
You have a natural curiosity which is the MOST important thing. Just keep your curiosity high by learning new things, keep digging for info, asking questions, I remember when I was where you are in my guitar learning journey... I found so much info on so many topics I didn't know where to start. I just dove in headfirst into long instructional videos, articles, whatever I could find... enjoyed every minute of it, it never felt like work.

Just start making sense of the general musical concepts, scales, intervals, chords, modes, etc, etc. Guitar players should start their learning with general music ed. before worrying their playing. Be a MUSICIAN, then a GUITAR PLAYER, in THAT ORDER! I always thought of the musical concepts on their own first, then I'd think "ok, how do I translate this musical concept on to the guitar?" Even a little theory goes a long way

Wikipedia and youtube can teach you a ton. Google guitar scales and the first result is a kick ass site which will show you every scale and chord on a fretboard diagram. Even better than just seeing it- is writing it out yourself. It really, really helps burn this shit into your memory. You'll feel so ****ing proud when you realize you have all this info in your head finally.

Really if you have a natural curiosity to learn musicianship, and have enough of a brain to know what you need to learn specifically (you do), and enough dedication to make and stick to a good practice routine, nothing will hold you back!

Thanks man! And yeah that is the type of musician i am, i'm the type that when i'm learning something new about music or guitar, there i am with a metronome and sitting in my room for hours improving and learning what i wanted to learn. Thanks for the help i just printed out a bunch of blank guitar scale practice sheets to work on lol on to another journey.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
ha_asgag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutle_me_this

Do you have links to images for the above in the other keys besides the key of A?

No. Actually, the scale diagrams I posted recently were drawn with the help of a custom program written in Visual Basic 6.0 called

"Guitar Fretboard Explorer 1.2" (which you can Google).

OR try, http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/scalegenerator/

Last edited by ha_asgag : 04-11-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Rate This Thread: