Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
NathanMatthews

Need a little help choosing guitars... ltd esp mh 240 (floyd rose) or Ibanez art 100

I know this is completely based on one's opinion and personal preference so please know before reading that as I don't know my playing style yet (jazz to 'Alice in Chains', 'Tool' to Santana) that I could use ANY advice, from facts about guitars to personal opinions, Please let me know. Sound is most important here but all other parameters including looks are also very important to me. Thanks in advance for anything ya got If you'd just like facts without getting to know my situation then please skip to 'So here's where Im at'.

Hi, I'm new to the site and actually new to electric guitars. I've been a satisfied drummer for years but have recently been learning guitar pretty fast and loving it.

I want to move up from my callus forming basic learning acoustic guitar to an electric guitar with great sound, performance, looks etc. My girlfriend caught wind of this and bought a used guitar center LTD esp MH 250 for $200 - 250 after s&h/other. It arrived unplayable as the floyd rose was not set up right and an emg pickup is not working.

Guitar center said they would make it playable for me which (if I keep it I will block the floyd rose so I dont have to worry about it) but finding out that one of the emg's active pickups need replacing is going to cost me an extra $100 or so. This being said. My budget is very tight so $300 is about all I can possibly spend. Their best used comparable guitar is the Ibanez ART 100 TCR cherry wood look (not a fan of overall look but played great from what I could tell) for a solid 30 day guarantee trade.

So here's where Im at:

I mainly want something I will hang on to years from now even though my taste in playing styles will change. It doesn't matter that one is more "metal style" then the other as it just doesn't matter now, unless its a huge concern. Budget is a concern and tops out at about $300. I like curves in a guitar like the fender strat and esp I have now (its the difference between a 1980 boxy car and the more curvy sleek cars of today) and Id like the quality that I will come to expect when I'm a better more experienced player. I could use all comparable guitars, new used but at budget that you guys can think of so I can check em all out and not rush this purchase. Again Thank you.

I love the look of the ltd esp mh 240 I have now. The extra frets deeper warmer sound are nice too. I dont like extra cost I have to put into it by buying an extra active pickup and worrying about the springs making a different tone overall (even after I lock or block the floyd rose system) I also dont know how much of a pain it will be to change strings let alone drop D which I guess wouldn't be an issue if its blocked.

The Ibanez ART 100 tcr suggested by guitar center will cost me $100 less and sounds good (but what do I know).. I dont like the look of the guitar at all and it has less frets. I have also read mixed reviews on this guitar.

Anything else out there for me? of course, like everyone else im looking for the best price for the best guitar but I'm not as, versed or learned as, lets say, you so I could use the help in knowing what I will want once I start to know better. Again, thank you for sticking with me this long and giving me anything ya got!
NathanMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Starcounter1

For $300 I'd look for a used paul reed smith SE model. For the price it will be very hard to beat the quality and playability of about any in the SE line. There are several body styles and bridges to chose from. The stock pickups are very doable as well. Check craigslist, or the even guitar center's used stock on their website.

Good luck and have fun!
Starcounter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
NathanMatthews

Thank you Starcounter1 ! Thats the advice I'm looking for. Will do.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
J_W

I wouldn't buy a guitar with a Floyd unless you want to use it. Usually the licensed floyds on lower level guitars are crap anyway. I wouldn't really look at LTD unless it's a 300 series or higher.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

^ +1. I wouldn't buy cheap guitar with floyd either.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Here is a used H-300 for $300. It is extremely similar to the H-301, which I own, and it's a really great, solid guitar. Much more solid than similar priced stuff LTD is putting out today. Much better than an MH-250 too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...724-i3383829.gc

This one in particular looks like it's been upgraded to real EMGs... I'd jump on it ASAP, that's an amazing deal for what it is.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
NathanMatthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Here is a used H-300 for $300. It is extremely similar to the H-301, which I own, and it's a really great, solid guitar. Much more solid than similar priced stuff LTD is putting out today. Much better than an MH-250 too.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...724-i3383829.gc

This one in particular looks like it's been upgraded to real EMGs... I'd jump on it ASAP, that's an amazing deal for what it is.

Hey Thanks buddy, actually picked up your exact suggestion after doing a ton research. I had to go with the more expensive one you posted here as I couldn't find a better looking one at a lower cost. Good advice! Guitar should be here by tomorrow. If you care to hear what I think about it, ask. Green to the forum so shoot me a message however its done here.

Thanks to everyone else for their comments and help. Much appreciated.

Rate This Thread: