User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-31-2015, 01:39 AM   #5461
necrosis1193
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgarden1986 at #33575152
fun fact: it was jake arrieta that i threw a perfect game with in my cubs season last year

Why does god hate our pitching

Also some research leads me to two main changes in Arrieta since going to Chicago:

1. His natural throwing motion is an exaggerated, across-the-body motion. The Orioles didn't let him do that, preferring a more compact, quick, repeatable motion.
2. The Orioles prefer a low fastball/changeup combo to be the primary repertoire of their pitchers, and what little offspeed pitching is allowed comes in the form of curveballs and sliders. Arrieta likes his cutter. The Orioles didn't let him throw it.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO EITHER OF THOSE

I mean don't get me wrong my favorite pitch combination - assuming I could execute pitches, which I can't - is a good fastball and a good changeup but still IF A GUY HAS A GOOD CUTTER THEN LET HIM THROW HIS FUCKING CUTTER AND LET HIM DEVELOP A REPERTOIRE THAT FITS HIS SKILLSET AND ABILITIES INSTEAD OF FORCE-FEEDING A SPECIFIC REPERTOIRE THAT MIGHT MAKE AN ACE LOOK LIKE A BUM

AND STOP TINKERING WITH A GUY'S THROWING MOTION TO MAKE IT FASTER

THIS ISN'T FOOTBALL

THERE'S NOT A LINEBACKER COMING IN TO CLOTHESLINE THE PITCHER IF HE DOESN'T GET THE PITCH OFF FAST ENOUGH BECAUSE HIS MOTION IS BIG AND WONKY

THERE'S NO PENALTY FOR BEING TIM TEBOW AND TAKING AN ETERNITY TO THROW

IF ARRIETA LIKES THROWING BIG AND ACROSS HIS BODY LET HIM DO THAT

SERIOUSLY BUCK WHAT THE HELL

In all seriousness this is genuinely the saltiest and bitterest I have ever been in anything related to sports. WHY CAN'T WE DO PITCHING RIGHT GODDAMMIT WE HAD A BONAFIDE FUCKING ACE IN OUR FUCKING ROTATION AND TRADED HIM FOR SCOTT FUCKING FELDMAN AND STEVE FUCKING CLEVENGER IF WE HAD CUBS ARRIETA IN OUR ROTATION THEN MAYBE WE'D BE IN ACTUAL FUCKING CONTENTION INSTEAD OF LOOKING AT OUR PITCHERS AND CRYING BECAUSE UBALDO'S FALLEN APART AND EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS TOO

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern division champions, 2015: 43-40
York Capitals: 10-0, 2015 AIF champions
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 10-6
2014 Pick 'Em: 173-79-3

Last edited by necrosis1193 : 08-31-2015 at 01:43 AM.
necrosis1193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:05 AM   #5462
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Maybe the Orioles should replace their pitching coaches
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:25 AM   #5463
necrosis1193
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChaz at #33575175
Maybe the Orioles should replace their pitching coaches

Considering that, excluding this year since it's not done yet, we've had two years since the turn of the century(2012 and 2014) where we finished in the top half of the league in team ERA, usually we sit at the very bottom, well above 4 runs, with five above 5 runs, and 2012, one of the only "successful" years was .09 away from being in the bottom half, I would be completely okay with replacing all of the Orioles pitching coaches from the minors up. Not to mention they've failed to get a single ace out of eleven first-round pitchers in that span.

And speaking of the Orioles' failures drafting pitchers, replace the pitching scouts too while we're at it. Looking at their track record(Drafted Beau Hale while Wainwright was available, Adam Loewen while Grienke and Hamels were available, Wade Townshend while Weaver was available, Bundy while Fernandez and Gray were available, just to name a few), there's no real reason to keep them around either.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #5464
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
Why does god hate our pitching

Also some research leads me to two main changes in Arrieta since going to Chicago:

1. His natural throwing motion is an exaggerated, across-the-body motion. The Orioles didn't let him do that, preferring a more compact, quick, repeatable motion.
2. The Orioles prefer a low fastball/changeup combo to be the primary repertoire of their pitchers, and what little offspeed pitching is allowed comes in the form of curveballs and sliders. Arrieta likes his cutter. The Orioles didn't let him throw it.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU DO EITHER OF THOSE

I mean don't get me wrong my favorite pitch combination - assuming I could execute pitches, which I can't - is a good fastball and a good changeup but still IF A GUY HAS A GOOD CUTTER THEN LET HIM THROW HIS FUCKING CUTTER AND LET HIM DEVELOP A REPERTOIRE THAT FITS HIS SKILLSET AND ABILITIES INSTEAD OF FORCE-FEEDING A SPECIFIC REPERTOIRE THAT MIGHT MAKE AN ACE LOOK LIKE A BUM

AND STOP TINKERING WITH A GUY'S THROWING MOTION TO MAKE IT FASTER

THIS ISN'T FOOTBALL

THERE'S NOT A LINEBACKER COMING IN TO CLOTHESLINE THE PITCHER IF HE DOESN'T GET THE PITCH OFF FAST ENOUGH BECAUSE HIS MOTION IS BIG AND WONKY

THERE'S NO PENALTY FOR BEING TIM TEBOW AND TAKING AN ETERNITY TO THROW

IF ARRIETA LIKES THROWING BIG AND ACROSS HIS BODY LET HIM DO THAT

SERIOUSLY BUCK WHAT THE HELL
I disagree regarding the change of motion. I honestly couldn't tell you what Arrieta's motion looks like but I don't think throwing across your body is really a good idea. Also, a windup being compact and quick may not matter as much as a pitcher's motion out of the stretch, but being repeatable is definitely a good thing, and if shortening his motion helps make it more repeatable then it makes sense to me. I agree with you on the repertoire point though.
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
BrainDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #5465
necrosis1193
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainDamage at #33576372
I disagree regarding the change of motion. I honestly couldn't tell you what Arrieta's motion looks like but I don't think throwing across your body is really a good idea. Also, a windup being compact and quick may not matter as much as a pitcher's motion out of the stretch, but being repeatable is definitely a good thing, and if shortening his motion helps make it more repeatable then it makes sense to me. I agree with you on the repertoire point though.

I was able to actually find Arrieta explaining his approach in Baltimore, so here's that. I couldn't find something similar from his time with the Cubs, but I did find a slo-mo video of him throwing in Chicago.

I don't see anything egregious with his supposedly-elongated motion. It's not super-compact, and someone who times their jump well could probably steal second, but I don't see anything that seems off or that would make it difficult to repeat consistently. Unfortunately I can't find anything showing his mechanics from the stretch in either city.

Edit: Also it just dawned on me that Joe Maddon, the guy who manages the Cubs, is also the guy who developed David Price, Scott Kazmir, and Chris Archer, just to name a few.

Maddon, from what I'm aware of, is known to have a fairly relaxed, "Be yourself and have fun and do what you want as long as it doesn't interfere with you being good to go for us" attitude where the players have plenty of voice.

That explains a lot.

Last edited by necrosis1193 : 08-31-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #5466
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
I was able to actually find Arrieta explaining his approach in Baltimore, so here's that. I couldn't find something similar from his time with the Cubs, but I did find a slo-mo video of him throwing in Chicago.

I don't see anything egregious with his supposedly-elongated motion. It's not super-compact, and someone who times their jump well could probably steal second, but I don't see anything that seems off or that would make it difficult to repeat consistently. Unfortunately I can't find anything showing his mechanics from the stretch in either city.
It's hard to tell from the slow-mo video, but he does throw waaay across his body. Found this video from last year of him facing the Red Sox in Boston, their cameras are pretty much in a straight line with the rubber and home plate so it's easy to see where he lands. I can see why a pitching coach would want to change that, but hey, the "right" thing to do doesn't always work for everyone.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #5467
necrosis1193
UG Nerd

On the 20th anniversary of Cal's 2131 game, the Orioles are an inning away from being shut out 11-0.

They have been outscored in their past ten games 21-52. Not unrelated, they are 1-9 in those games.

I think it may be time to jump onboard the Nats bandwagon, and if they fail too, the Cubs.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #5468
necrosis1193
UG Nerd

Oh thank god it's not a shutout

Thank you Superdavis

So that's slightly less embarrassing and now it's 23-51 but it's still ugh

Old 09-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #5469
necrosis1193
UG Nerd

Superdavis with a walkoff 11th-inning home run so far back in center field it almost hit the screen.

Love you, big guy.

Old Yesterday, 12:51 AM   #5470
necrosis1193
UG Nerd

http://m.mlb.com/video/v443442683/t...mer-in-the-11th

You see that Angelos

That is what someone you should be willing to overpay to keep looks like

Especially considering two of the teams who will probably try to steal him away are bitter division rivals

LOOK AT THAT DAMN THING COME CLOSE TO THE SCOREBOARD

PAY SUPERDAVIS

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #5471
BrainDamage
Knirps for moisture

Quote:
http://m.mlb.com/video/v443442683/t...mer-in-the-11th

You see that Angelos

That is what someone you should be willing to overpay to keep looks like

Especially considering two of the teams who will probably try to steal him away are bitter division rivals

LOOK AT THAT DAMN THING COME CLOSE TO THE SCOREBOARD

PAY SUPERDAVIS
DAMN. Also lol at the guy sleeping in the stands in CF.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #5472
TheChaz
UG Newbie

Welp. Giants just got swept by the Dodgers. Out of the post season race now. Three 1 run losses too. Not a fun way to go out. It would take an absolute miracle at this point to get in the post season. Luckily, they're in pretty good shape for 2016, with a lot of dead money coming off the books and a lot of roster space being freed up. Lincecum, Vogelsong, Hudson, and a few relief pitchers are off the books. The only positional weakness is CF with Pagan, although we have Gregor Blanco sitting in the bench being a 2 WAR player over 350 PAs this year. Aoki has a super cheap option that I assume the team will take considering how good he's been this year.

The only SP the Giants have guaranteed money going to next year are Bumgarner, Peavy, and Cain. I basically just want them to sign David Price and keep Chris Heston in the rotation. A 2016 rotation of Bum, Price, Peavy, Heston, Cain would be pretty yeyeye considering the Giants have the best offense in the NL this year. If they want to sign Leake too, and try to sell high on Heston, I'd be for that as well.
TheChaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM   #5473
Shotgunmerc
Pretty Average Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscenter
Strange But True: Bryce Harper saw 20 pitches tonight, didn't swing at any of them, walked each time, and scored 4 runs.

Well I guess that's one way to do it

Quote:
I am a million fucking bucks
I am a thousand fucking fucks
Your bitch is dead, She was hit by a truck
What the fuck

#siliconetittymilk

Context is overrated
Shotgunmerc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: