Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #6941
therealhamtaro
Magical Anime Girl

While I wait for my parts to come in, is the following setup doable with a normal import/Ibanez 5-way switch or do I absolutely need a Super switch (4P5T)?
Old 07-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #6942
Tallwood13

if you had two volume and no tone absolutely, you could do the fender autosplit mod using a common 5 way selector.

but if you want parallel tones too you'll need two push pulls. it's cheaper but a little more tedious because to get those true single coil tones you'd have to go to position 2 or 4 on an import 5 way switch and put the volume to 0% on one of the volumes so the super 5 way makes life easier. The switch makes both pickups go parallel and the push pulls give you coil splits you may or may not use as I've never been a fan of coil splitting as the buzzing drives me nuts.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:14 PM   #6943
luvs2gro
Ug's Zorak

on 5 way selector switches, it appears that most of the time, there will be 4 sockets on each side, but on mine, all 8 are in a straight line. I am trying to wire my guitar so it is 1 master volume and 1 master tone, getting rid of the other tone knob. All the schematics are showing the switch with 4 sockets on each side. Can anyone explain to me how I would know which socket is which? If that makes sense..

I assume that wiring it is practically the same I am just unsure which socket is which when going from the 4-on-each-side to the 8-in-a-row :0 sorry in advance for noobish question
Old 07-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #6944
therealhamtaro
Magical Anime Girl

Old 07-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #6945
luvs2gro
Ug's Zorak

<3 thank you!!!!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:46 PM   #6946
Tallwood13

yeah with the switches using common wiring
1 - bridge pickup - 1
2 - bridge / middle so this would be 1/3
3 - just the middle pickup - this is just 3
4 - middle and neck - 3/5
5 - just the neck - 5
commons (0s) are used unconditionally , they activate the pole (group of contacts).

there are some unorthadox ways to wire them and of course the 3 way blade toggle does follow the 13500135 pattern but the switch reacts differently as we know.
Tallwood13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: