Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #61
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
[QUOTE=Mephaphil] ...It's completely dominated by orchestral instruments, with Sax's all over the place...QUOTE]

The sax is not an orchestral instrument. It was invented in 1846 after all the greatest orchestral composers were dead.

I never said that it was. 'With' after the comma meaning accompanied by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-30-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #62
beau05
UG Senior Member

If you look closely, our entire society is a cluster-f*ck conglomerate of various types of music lovers

Its most likely happened because information is so accessible these days. Kids can pick a decade out of the last 100 years and pretend like its 1984 right in the middle of the Bay area thrash scene (know me, before you judge me).

I wouldn't say there's a popular "trend", the landscape doesn't change like it used to. We no longer just get our musical needs from the local record store or the local pop radio station, its like a Doctor Who episode I watched where there was a single point in time where every thing that had ever happened, was happening all at once (Winston Churchill, in a pyramid, being raided by a SWAT team), thats exactly how I see the music scene

I don't think there will ever be another massive shift like there has been (maybe small ones, but not big), kids will just make whatever they like, regardless of the current trends
Old 12-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #63
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau05
its like a Doctor Who episode I watched where there was a single point in time where every thing that had ever happened, was happening all at once (Winston Churchill, in a pyramid, being raided by a SWAT team), thats exactly how I see the music scene.

Epic!

Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #64
beau05
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Epic!

Haha it was! Funnily (more sadly), it was the first ever time I've watched a Doctor Who episode, now I'm hooked
Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #65
HomerSGR
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau05
If you look closely, our entire society is a cluster-f*ck conglomerate of various types of music lovers

Its most likely happened because information is so accessible these days. Kids can pick a decade out of the last 100 years and pretend like its 1984 right in the middle of the Bay area thrash scene (know me, before you judge me).

I wouldn't say there's a popular "trend", the landscape doesn't change like it used to. We no longer just get our musical needs from the local record store or the local pop radio station, its like a Doctor Who episode I watched where there was a single point in time where every thing that had ever happened, was happening all at once (Winston Churchill, in a pyramid, being raided by a SWAT team), thats exactly how I see the music scene

I don't think there will ever be another massive shift like there has been (maybe small ones, but not big), kids will just make whatever they like, regardless of the current trends

A very good post. I absolutely believe in this, but there's also still the mainstream. Currently, I see Iron Maiden, Swedish House Mafia and Bruce Springsteen selling out the new (huge) indoor Friends Arena in Stockholm, Sweden. That is three very different acts, two of them is guitar based while one is not. And while these are different, there is not room for too many of these vastly popular acts - in a city of around 1 500 000 people in a country with a population of just 9,5 million, you can't expect to sell out an arena with a capacity of 65 000 people every day of the year.

And so, there is not room for every kind of music.

"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

*How you know you have too many guitars...
HomerSGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #66
beau05
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSGR
A very good post. I absolutely believe in this, but there's also still the mainstream. Currently, I see Iron Maiden, Swedish House Mafia and Bruce Springsteen selling out the new (huge) indoor Friends Arena in Stockholm, Sweden. That is three very different acts, two of them is guitar based while one is not. And while these are different, there is not room for too many of these vastly popular acts - in a city of around 1 500 000 people in a country with a population of just 9,5 million, you can't expect to sell out an arena with a capacity of 65 000 people every day of the year.

And so, there is not room for every kind of music.

Yeah that is a problem, here in New Zealand its a lot worse. Iron Maiden came here about 20 years ago and played to a crowd of 7,000 (yes, that's all), and a few years ago it went up to about 14,000, mind you the NZ music scene (in "pop" terms) revolves around hip hop, trance/dubstep, American based pop, and Gangnam style

I guess there'll always be those big guitar driven rock/metal bands that'll carry the flag so to speak, but we're at a stage where it'll never completely die off.

My suggestion? Have kids and teach them the ways of the axe! (guitar, not sax haha, but to each their own)
Old 12-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #67
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
[QUOTE=LP1951]

I never said that it was...

It is very hard to understand exactly what you are trying to say. First, you try to compare the Guitar, a polyphonic stringed instrument, to the sax, a monophonic brass instrument. Then, you say that the piano keyboard design is accidental. Then, you say that the sax which was invented in 1846 is an orchestral instrument. And then you compare Electric Guitars to Toyota Cars which make no sense whatsoever. It appears that you throw it up against the wall with your posts hoping something sticks and when others call you on your mistakes you try to play a game of semantics and claim your mistakes are simply grammatical errors.

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-30-2012 at 05:52 PM.
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #68
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
[QUOTE=Mephaphil]

It is very hard to understand exactly what you are trying to say. First, you try to compare the Guitar, a polyphonic stringed instrument, to the sax, a monophonic brass instrument. Then, you say that the piano keyboard design is accidental. Then, you say that the sax which was invented in 1846 is an orchestral instrument. And then you compare Electric Guitars to Toyota Cars which make no sense whatsoever. It appears that you throw it up against the wall with your posts hoping something sticks and when others call you on your mistakes you try to play a game of semantics and claim your mistakes are simply grammatical errors.

Wtf?

You don't quite get the quote system do you.

I never compared the sax to guitar. I compared it's prevalence in popular culture in the 30's to the prevalence in popular culture of the guitar today, and asked if corporation dominance and the media will stop its decline in the future if/as tastes and music change/evolve. This is the third time I've had to explain this to you. It's not about this instrument vs that instrument. It's about its dominance of X instrument then to dominance now of X instrument.

I never brought up the Toyota comparison. I mean, really.

I never said the piano design was accidental lol. I called the black keys ACCIDENTALS, like a sharp occurring in the C major scale. A mistake which I held my hands up to. I think you misunderstood completely.

I never claimed the Sax was an orchestral instrument, I said the album has loads of orchestral instruments in it, with sax's all over the place. So, perhaps you took another meaning, but I just meant there's violins and cellos AND sax's in abundance on the album. I know what I meant, that's all that matters. I don't think it's that hard to read it from my perspective, perhaps my wording was slightly ambiguous, PERHAPS, but I explained myself.

We're having a nice discussion here and you come trolling in with false accusations, telling me I said things I never did.

If I am wrong I hold my hands up, I don't argue or have arguments here. You are mistaken. Please stop being so confrontational.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-30-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #69
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The summary of this thread is that guitar music will be around, just like many instruments before it are still around.

Also, the Sax is still wildly popular. How is that even a discussion? Anyone who doesn't think the Sax is still big obviously doesn't venture outside of their genre very much.

Roostyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Spudly
Heck I killed a grizzly with a telecaster. Tex-Mex pickups too. Imagine what I could have done with twang kings or something like that.

Last edited by JustRooster : 01-01-2013 at 12:27 AM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: