Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #1
josh.walk.3

Boss Power Supply?

I recently picked up a Boss rc-20xl loop station that didn't come with a power supply. I have a power supply for my larger boss multi-effects pedalboard but don't know if they would be compatible.

This is what Boss says to power the rc-20xl with: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=911

This is the power supply I already have is the AC 14 V; Supply AC adaptor (BOSS BRC series) for Boss GT-8 pedalboard shown here: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=720

I don't want to fry my little rc-20xl. Could someone with a little more knowledge on the matter help me out?
josh.walk.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

For that particular pedal I would use exactly what Boss says to use. Its an excellent looper but mine started malfunctioning after a month and completely fried after a lil over a year. Ive read many of the same story so I'd guess they're extremely sensitive. If you bought it used and it works fine thats possibly a sign that its a "good" one but if I were you I'd definiely use exactly what boss says to use for that specific pedal.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
wildozer
Not A Registered User

Okay so this page: http://www.bossus.com/gear/productd...p?ProductId=477
Tells us that the power supply required needs to be 9V DC, and provide a minimum of 120mA. I also know that Boss pedals have a center negative polarity power input.

Thats the three criteria you need to look for in a PSU. I don't believe you should have to buy a brand name one as they are usually heavily marked up. You could buy a good power supply for cheaper to do the job from an electronics store. I'm not sure where you are from but I know here in Aus we can buy from Jaycar, and in the US it's radioshack.

Just look for:
-9 volt DC output.
-Center negative polarity plug
-minimum 120mA (More is better. With more mA you will be able to daisy chain other 9V pedals and power multiple with the one power supply.)

If all that is too much, and you don't mind the premium price then just get the Boss one.

EDIT: Don't plug your 14V PSU into the 20xl .

Last edited by wildozer : 03-11-2014 at 11:16 PM.
wildozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
josh.walk.3

Thanks for the advice! I went to radioshack and purchased the power supply needed.
josh.walk.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #5
wildozer
Not A Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh.walk.3
Thanks for the advice! I went to radioshack and purchased the power supply needed.

Great. Just be sure it's 9V and center negative! Bargain. The markup on brand name PSU is crazy. I think they figure that a lot of people don't know anything about power supplies and so they will pay a premium for taking the safe, recommended option.
wildozer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: