Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
FrozenNile

Fender M-80 Bass

So I'm looking for a new amp for a low price, and in my area I've seen a few that I liked, but the one that I know the least about is the Fender M-80. There are some mixed reviews, but none of them are too informative from what I've seen. People say the distortion channel is crap, but the cleans are good. The guy is selling it for $200 O.B.O (Canadian). So has anybody had a decent amount of time with this amp? Thanks!
FrozenNile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The Fender M80 bass amplifier was essentially a practice amp, and did not have much to recommend it. It was a pretty bare-bones affair. It was made in a number of versions, from the basic black with sky blue lettering to the red-knob, gray fuzzy cloth of the mid-1980s, and a few others in between. Even in very good condition, $200.00 Canadian seems unreasonably high. For that amount, you can do better; particularly in the used department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
FrozenNile

Well this is the red-knob fuzzy gray clothed version from the 80's. There's also a Fender BXR 300c in the same area for $250 O.B.O. That's twice the wattage, and people are giving it praise for being indestructible. That seems like a much better option. This is also going to be an amp for possible gigging in the future. Basically all I'm looking for is an amp that will last me for at least a few years.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

If you want to gig, than an M80 is not going to suit you unless you play smooth jazz in dark, smoky clubs. For gigging, you'll want at least a 1x15" or a 2x10" combo; more if you are a heavy rock band with some serious firepower. The Fender BXR300C would be a much better choice.

Quote:
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
FrozenNile

It's hard to find amps that are over 150 watts in my price range. I mean, there are a ton of Peavey amps for sale, and I haven't had a bad experience with them, but none of them are powerful enough for what I'm looking for.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Well; let's gather some information so that maybe we can better assist you:

1.) What kind of music do you play?
2.) How loud is your band? Be honest. If you play (or plan to play) at ear-shattering levels, say so.
3.) How many people are (or will there be) in your band? How many guitarists?
4.) What does the guitarist(s) in your band play through?
5.) How loud/insane is your drummer?
6.) What size venues do you play (or do you anticipate playing)?
7.) How much can you afford to spend on an amplifier?

Even if you are not currently in a band and gigging, you obviously intend to do so and therefore, you should plan with that eventuality in mind. With the above-listed information, the denizens of this forum can better help you out.

Assuming you plan to play loud, heavy music with a band, you're probably going to want to have at least 300 watts RMS. There are some deals out there; particularly with the advent of these micro Class D bass amps. They've become so popular that a lot of bassists are getting rid of their old rigs, so there is a great deal of used stuff at good prices. Now, you are in Canada, so you'll have to let us know what brands are available in your neck of the woods. I don't want to recommend something that is not available where you live.

Just don't settle for an inadequate amplifier now, because in no time at all you'll end up right back where you started when you began your amps search. If you have to wait and store up some more cash, do it. It is far better to wait and get something good (and that you want).

Good Luck!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
FrozenNile

Quote:
1.) What kind of music do you play?
2.) How loud is your band? Be honest. If you play (or plan to play) at ear-shattering levels, say so.
Well I'm not in a band YET, but there is a very large chance of that happening soon. We would be playing in a metal band reminiscent of earlier Death/Heavy metal, so It would have to go pretty loud.
3.) How many people are (or will there be) in your band? How many guitarists?
Me as a bassist, one guitarist, a drummer and a vocalist, although we aren't sure about only one guitarist.
4.) What does the guitarist(s) in your band play through?
They'll both (If there is two) be playing through 80 watt Peaveys
5.) How loud/insane is your drummer?
He's enthusiastic to say the least.
6.) What size venues do you play (or do you anticipate playing)?
To be totally honest, I don't know yet.
7.) How much can you afford to spend on an amplifier?
I have about $250 to spend right now, though it can be stretched a little bit

This isn't just for gigging purposes. I've needed a bass amp for a while now.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Well, I had the M80, I had the 1X15" combo, and i can guarantee it worked out fine for rehearsals, but it wasn't a death metal band such as yours. I did use it with the volume at 3 though. I couldn't use it live, but it is a nice amp. It doesn't have any distortion channel so i don't know if we are talking about the same amp. But I found it pretty good. Still, it may not be loud enough for you.

IS The BXR 300c full valve??? I remember that high wattage BXRs had full valve versions, but i'm not entirely sure about that. Still, 300 watts should work for you IF you get a decent cab with it, and you'll have to spend much more than 250 for that...

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

OK, you're probably going to have to bump your cash availability by about $50.00, but there are definitely some amps out there for you. It sounds like once you begin gigging, you are going to need some firepower. Competing with a loud and crazy drummer is often the biggest hurdle for a bassist, since you will both be playing in a lot of the same frequencies. I would focus on the used market; particularly stuff from GK and Peavey. If you can get them up where you live, the reintroduced stuff by Acoustic is good, and can generally be found for very good prices. An Acoustic B200 1x15 combo is surprisingly loud, and should be in or near your budget. Those would be good places to start.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
FrozenNile

I'm not even going to TRY and look at a new amp for what I need at my budget. I've only seen a few Acoustic amps in my area. They're hard to find.

Rate This Thread: