Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
CatherineJThoma

Recording a jazz trio tipps!

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and would like to start with "how to record a jazz trio".
Me and my trio are making our first demo, and the new thing is it will be all made by us (me). That means microphoning, locating instruments, preparing the room, recording, mixing and mastering.
It's a guitar (sounding pretty modern like Abercrombie or Frank Möbus through a jazz transistor amp and sometimes a tube amp fender like), an upright bass (me, through a GK mb150s III and hopefully a mic in front of the bass) and a typical drum set (20" bass drum, 12 and 14 toms, 14 snare, Fat old school hi hat and he uses a jack de Johnette crash signature as a crash/ride).
We play a fairly mixed style of jazz with some trashy parts, sometimes a bit of eastern influences and...well very mixed, but jazz at the end. And we would like to get a more classical recording sound, not so hi fi, not so digital.

Any suggestions? and suggestion involving any stage of the recording will be helpfull!
For instance i'm planing to taje the guitar directly from the line out and maybe using a sm 57 for the speaker but i'm not sure which method will work better. For the drumset i want to use the Glyn Johns method, two small diafragm over the drumset (the one on the left slightly down) and a big membrane in front of the drumset, about 50 cm away from the bass drum. For the bass as i said i wanna go with the DI out from the amp (set to pre) and also a big membrane about 40-50 cm away from the bass on the G string side.
Anything there you might want to say?

Recording Through a digital multitrack recorder and then import the tracks to my computer.

For the mix, i don't have a clue yet, i will work either with logic pro 9 or Abletone Live 8.2. I guess Logic is more frienedly and intuitive.
Any MUST for mixing and mastering?

Thanks a lot guys and sorry for such a long thread.
All the best!
CatherineJThoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

Now, some important questions.
-What equipment do you have access to at the moment?
-What space do you have access to at the moment?
-How much money are you willing to spend to get stuff that may be necessary or a big improvement from what you already have?
-How many experience do you have with mixing and mastering?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Carl LOG

You know, I just wanted to offer mixing and mastering for you. If it's not a ****load of songs and tracks then I'll do it for free. Here's some examples of my work. I'm just looking for more experience really.

https://soundcloud.com/hereticnova/...s/hereticnova-1

https://soundcloud.com/karkolo/ente...ip-instrumental

https://soundcloud.com/karkolo/artofruin-monterey-remix

Get back to me on cgnomusicnolife@gmail.com if you're interested
Carl LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #4
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineJThoma
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and would like to start with "how to record a jazz trio".
Me and my trio are making our first demo, and the new thing is it will be all made by us (me). That means microphoning, locating instruments, preparing the room, recording, mixing and mastering.
It's a guitar (sounding pretty modern like Abercrombie or Frank Möbus through a jazz transistor amp and sometimes a tube amp fender like), an upright bass (me, through a GK mb150s III and hopefully a mic in front of the bass) and a typical drum set (20" bass drum, 12 and 14 toms, 14 snare, Fat old school hi hat and he uses a jack de Johnette crash signature as a crash/ride).
We play a fairly mixed style of jazz with some trashy parts, sometimes a bit of eastern influences and...well very mixed, but jazz at the end. And we would like to get a more classical recording sound, not so hi fi, not so digital.

Any suggestions? and suggestion involving any stage of the recording will be helpfull!
For instance i'm planing to taje the guitar directly from the line out and maybe using a sm 57 for the speaker but i'm not sure which method will work better. For the drumset i want to use the Glyn Johns method, two small diafragm over the drumset (the one on the left slightly down) and a big membrane in front of the drumset, about 50 cm away from the bass drum. For the bass as i said i wanna go with the DI out from the amp (set to pre) and also a big membrane about 40-50 cm away from the bass on the G string side.
Anything there you might want to say?

Recording Through a digital multitrack recorder and then import the tracks to my computer.

For the mix, i don't have a clue yet, i will work either with logic pro 9 or Abletone Live 8.2. I guess Logic is more frienedly and intuitive.
Any MUST for mixing and mastering?

Thanks a lot guys and sorry for such a long thread.
All the best!

To be honest, I'd rethink the approach almost altogether.

For jazz, you want a roomy organic sound - almost like you would for an orchestra. Close miking and direct recording will make it sound like a pop record.

Maybe as a base, start with the best sounding room you can find and fly up those two small diaphragm condensers as room mics. Mix your levels by having players play louder or quieter or by moving mics, instruments and amps. Then add spot mics to taste. Bring those up in the mix only enough to support what is already there in the room mics. You'll probably need to time-align them to keep them in phase with the other mics.

This is how they recorded everything in the fifties, including rock bands. (Except they wouldn't typically use spot mics back then.) It's where that live, organic feel comes from.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: