Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
MetalMullet

Rhythm guitar

Hi guys!

Here's the deal. I have some trouble with the rhythm sections in some songs and it's not really the rhythm itself, but the amount of "chugs". I try to explain; let's say there's a part of a song where you have to hit the same chord 5, 6, 7 or whatever amount of times and then jump on the next one. I usually find it easy to pull the even numbers off, but when it comes to odd repetitions, I always mess it up.

Any idea how to approach this kind of problem? Some good rhythm exercises? How do you do it? You always go for the feeling or do you have some cool trick to actually count the strokes during the song?

Thanks!
MetalMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
ExDementia
UG Freak

What song?
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Slow it down until you can count it and play it there until you don't have to any more. The more you get used to doing this kind of thing the easier it will be to do and the less you'll need to slow down but you definitely need to work at a speed at which you can think to begin with.

Really that's the point of all the practice you ever do, you do things at a point where you can think about what you're doing so that later you don't have to.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
MetalMullet

Alright, thanks! That's pretty much how I usually learn songs, I just thought there's some fancy method for this particular problem since it seems so simple. I'll try the slowmo method then.

Ex: I'm trying to learn the distortion part (on accoustic though) of The Call of Ktulu. I always lose it after a couple of repetitions. What confuses me the most is that clean chord in the beginning of the riff while the rest is muted. It just f**cks up my counting.

Last edited by MetalMullet : 06-11-2013 at 09:05 PM.
MetalMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

easy to fix, don't count. just feel it. maybe im some crazy rhythm god but ive never understood how somebody can possibly count while playing at the same time. this isn't a math exercise, you're supposed to be focusing on the music not numbers. also if you are going to try and say, well maybe its easy cause you only play in 4/4 timing! I can play songs that are in 4/4/ 7/8 7/9/ 4/6/ 3/4. listen to the rhythm, play it back. that's it. don't overthink it man
Vicious_Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

also, it might me just me. but I have no idea on how to tell what timing a riff is in. somebody tried showing me how to count it out a couple times. I was lost. I only know the songs are in odd times cause the tab says so. so its not like you have know how to count timings well to play in odd signatures. cause I have no idea on how to count. and I can play them. just feel it man
Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #7
Geldin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious_Turtle
easy to fix, don't count. just feel it. maybe im some crazy rhythm god

That's cute.

Quote:
but ive never understood how somebody can possibly count while playing at the same time. this isn't a math exercise, you're supposed to be focusing on the music not numbers. also if you are going to try and say, well maybe its easy cause you only play in 4/4 timing! I can play songs that are in 4/4/ 7/8 7/9/ 4/6/ 3/4. listen to the rhythm, play it back. that's it. don't overthink it man

Care to name a song in 7/9 time? Or maybe 4/6?

Knowing how to count is really important. Being able to count beats enables you to play in any time signature there is. There are a variety of systems out there to help keep track of unusual groupings of notes. Here's a quick explanation of one I like to use:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Edwin
Another thing that’s really helped me a few times when I really didn’t understand a part was to think about this Indian system called Takadimi. In syllables, you vocalize the subdivisions. I’m not formally trained in Indian music at all, but if they count three they say, “Tak a di.” So if you have six, it’s “Tak a di Tak a di.” Then you put “Tak a di mi” for four [subdivisions]. So if you’ve got seven, it’s “Tak a di Tak a di mi.” Immediately you’ve got something you can latch onto, rather than counting “one two three four five six seven,” which might feel a little stiff. This way, you’ve got something a little more musical to go on. That’s helped me out a lot of times.

[Source: http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/02/2...orcupine-tree/]

By using that system to create a verbal phrase, I can more easily figure out how an unusual note grouping will sound. Give that a shot and come back if you have any more questions.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geldin
By using that system to create a verbal phrase, I can more easily figure out how an unusual note grouping will sound. Give that a shot and come back if you have any more questions.

Wouldn't it be easier to go: one, two, three, four, five, six, sef, eight, nine.
Maybe that's just me
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
Vicious_Turtle
UG Member

I like how you took the rhythm god quote out of context geldin

Rate This Thread: